GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX Maintenance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
Ok, I want to discuss a topic today, that is close to all our hearts - XBOX Maintenance :D

Early last year, my PS2 did the unthinkable and died at the tender young age of less than 2 years old. By 'died' I mean it stopped playing some of my DVDs, then all of my DVDs, then some of my games, and yes, finally pretty much all of my games. I didn't take it to bits as I'm not known for my patience and I envisaged a screwdriver being jammed in certain circuit boards if I couldn't fix it. It resides in my wardrobe, and will be fixed when I can be arshed.

So here I am, nearly a year later, with my 'new' XBOX, which I bought straight after the PS2 died, and what starts to happen? It starts to fail playing my DVDs.

I got my Back to the Future Trilogy this morning, so watched the second and third films, back to back. They worked fine, except there was a tiny forgivable 1 second glitch during both of them. So I stuck in one of those poxy lens cleaner things, just to see if it'd work. Anyhoo, I then stick in Back to the Future 1 to watch the out-takes, which works fine. I stick in BTTF2 to watch the out-takes from that, and it just sits there, and sits there. I stick in BTTF3, and it just sits there, and sits there. The discs are flawless, and I know they work fine as I watched them earlier. So I stick BTTF1 back in, and it just sits there.

What the hell? I really am losing all patience with consoles. I realise it may just be dirt on the lens, but short of taking it to pieces I can think of no other way to sort it out. So that's the point of this thread - do any of you know any techniques to clean the damn things, WITHOUT reducing it to its component parts first? Or have you had a similar experience with your XBOX and know what it is (e.g. overheating etc). I mentioned overheating, as I switched it off for 20mins, then back on again, and BTTF2 worked fine. After watching the out-takes, I reset the machine, and again it wouldn't read the disc.

How frikking infuriating. There are a few guides to taking the things to bits and cleaning them, but if I'm reduced to that after less than a year then I'm afraid that is nothing short of pathetic. Views?
Wed 07/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
Ok, I want to discuss a topic today, that is close to all our hearts - XBOX Maintenance :D

Early last year, my PS2 did the unthinkable and died at the tender young age of less than 2 years old. By 'died' I mean it stopped playing some of my DVDs, then all of my DVDs, then some of my games, and yes, finally pretty much all of my games. I didn't take it to bits as I'm not known for my patience and I envisaged a screwdriver being jammed in certain circuit boards if I couldn't fix it. It resides in my wardrobe, and will be fixed when I can be arshed.

So here I am, nearly a year later, with my 'new' XBOX, which I bought straight after the PS2 died, and what starts to happen? It starts to fail playing my DVDs.

I got my Back to the Future Trilogy this morning, so watched the second and third films, back to back. They worked fine, except there was a tiny forgivable 1 second glitch during both of them. So I stuck in one of those poxy lens cleaner things, just to see if it'd work. Anyhoo, I then stick in Back to the Future 1 to watch the out-takes, which works fine. I stick in BTTF2 to watch the out-takes from that, and it just sits there, and sits there. I stick in BTTF3, and it just sits there, and sits there. The discs are flawless, and I know they work fine as I watched them earlier. So I stick BTTF1 back in, and it just sits there.

What the hell? I really am losing all patience with consoles. I realise it may just be dirt on the lens, but short of taking it to pieces I can think of no other way to sort it out. So that's the point of this thread - do any of you know any techniques to clean the damn things, WITHOUT reducing it to its component parts first? Or have you had a similar experience with your XBOX and know what it is (e.g. overheating etc). I mentioned overheating, as I switched it off for 20mins, then back on again, and BTTF2 worked fine. After watching the out-takes, I reset the machine, and again it wouldn't read the disc.

How frikking infuriating. There are a few guides to taking the things to bits and cleaning them, but if I'm reduced to that after less than a year then I'm afraid that is nothing short of pathetic. Views?
Wed 07/01/04 at 17:05
"I love yo... lamp."
Have you tried games in it again? Xboxes are renowned for their sturdyness. However, they do come with 1 of 3 different possible DVD drive manufacturers. Samsung drives are meant to be the best. Do a search or something for it.

Could it possibly be the disc? Not accidentally rubbed it over some coarse sand paper or something?
Wed 07/01/04 at 17:07
Regular
"Teal'c"
Solution with the DVD movie problem: Buy a DVD player to watch DVD movies.
That’s all the solutions I can give today, my girl.
Wed 07/01/04 at 17:23
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Phone up XBOX customer service. Seeing as M$ give away money for fun, they'll more thanm likely help you out.
Wed 07/01/04 at 17:50
Regular
"gsybe you!"
KOTOR was 'not recognised' once.

I simply took it out and put it back in and it worked fine.

....................That's what she said! Woot!
Wed 07/01/04 at 18:32
Regular
J Nash wrote:
> Solution with the DVD movie problem: Buy a DVD player to watch DVD
> movies.
> That’s all the solutions I can give today, my girl.

worst advice I've ever heard.

Notorious, no the disc is flawless. It now point blank refuses to play PGR2, it even comes up with the message "This is an XBOX game disc, put it in an XBOX to start playing".

The thing is basically unusable to me, and worked fine earlier today.
If I can't get it to work, that's it for me and 'next generation' consoles, they're just getting far too expensive.
Wed 07/01/04 at 18:40
Regular
I put in PGR2 and it thinks it's an Audio CD.

It's one step from being thrown out of the window.
Wed 07/01/04 at 18:43
Regular
"That's right!"
I ordered a DVD player from Amazon a while ago (they emailed to say it'll be another few weeks - curse them!) and when I get it I can wave goodbye to the noisy PS2 fan and the unresponsive PS2 DVD remote.

It'll be bliss.

The reason I didn't get the remote for my X-Box so I could use that instead was, because it was so expensive, I could've chucked in a bit more money and got a real DVD player. So I threw £80 at Amazon and got myself a decent one. Hopefully...
Wed 07/01/04 at 18:57
Regular
all good fun but my xbox won't play games either now.

I refuse to fork out 100 quid for some techy to replace the drive in it, so if I can't get it to work very soon, I'm just going to get rid.

I love playing on Live, but I really cannot get across just how p***ed off I am right now.
Wed 07/01/04 at 19:15
Regular
It's bloody annoying that the X-box doesn't have a timer to show you how the film is.

*sigh*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.