GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Ninty lose sleep over Sony's PSP ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/01/04 at 01:10
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Look at the price ! Posted similar topic in Sony forum to see their response.

Source:Eurogamer

New comments made by recently promoted Sony Europe president Chris Deering regarding the PlayStation Portable have hinted at a price point in the £250 range, while Japanese retail sources quote figures in a similar range.

Deering stated that the system would diverge from Sony's traditional console business model by being sold at a price which would make a profit on hardware alone, and suggested a price "closer to £200 than £300."

This comment ties in with information from Japanese retail sources early last week, who told us that a price point around 50,000 Yen was being bandied about in Tokyo - in fact, the most exact figure we were given was 48,000 Yen, almost exactly £250.

Quoted in UK trade paper MCV, Deering said that "the feeling is that this product should generate profit on hardware alone. We want to make it affordable for publishers to produce a wide range of entertainment and so royalties will be lower down in the mix this time round."

A move to reduce royalties on the system would be a major boost to third party support for the PSP, especially since for many publishers, the last experience they had of handheld gaming was Nintendo's GBA - where high royalty and manufacturing costs mean that very few companies other than Nintendo itself make a profit from the system, despite the fact that Nintendo also makes a profit on hardware sales.

Early last week, Deering stated that the company was aiming for a global launch for PSP in November of this year, although that figure was quickly revised to mid-December by SCE vice president Masutsuka Saeki, who gave the new estimate in an interview with Famitsu.
Wed 21/01/04 at 19:33
"The Will of D."
Nintendo will definetly not lose any sleep over the already sooped up Playstation 1, even if it is portable. The Nintendo DS will definetly sort that problem out.
Wed 21/01/04 at 00:41
Regular
No tphi the Gamegear did fail on battery life alone.

Sony gamers are 'cool' casual gamers... they play games briefly at home with a beer after work or something similar... they don't bring their PSP into work and show their mates....

The handheld market is VERY different to the home console market, hence the reason Nintendo rule it and always have done.

Final Fantasy made the Playstation really popular in Japan... but it didn't make the Wonderswan really popular.....

See.

And don't give me CD meant the Playstation succeeded... if that's the case why the failure of the Saturn and CDi?
Tue 20/01/04 at 15:34
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> Becareful here TPHI as Nintendo's GBA was heralded as a playstation
> alike...

Heh, really DRINGO?

> Fantastic graphical games aren't what handheld gamers play games
> for...

But that's what Sony gamers will play handheld games for.

> Games like Mario or the fun 30 second games that Nintendo expertise
> in (Wario Ware anyone?) are what handheld games are for...

So Zelda, Pokemon, Golden Sun, which aren't "fun 30 second games that Nintendo expertise in" AREN'T what handheld games are for?

> I don't think CD's are a great idea and the GameGear was marketed
> well and had better specs too... and made by the most popular games
> manufactuerer at the time.... 4 hours battery life didn't cut the
> mustard though.

The PSP will not fail on battery life alone, it's impossible, do you really think Sony will let that happen. And the Gamegear didn't fail on battery power alone, that's absurd. The Gameboy had a better software line-up by far. This time round, Sony will make sure they do too.
Mon 19/01/04 at 23:07
Regular
Becareful here TPHI as Nintendo's GBA was heralded as a playstation alike...

Fantastic graphical games aren't what handheld gamers play games for...

I want a GB player so I can play Pokemon and Banjo... this is because these are complicated games that I want to play at home...

Games like Mario or the fun 30 second games that Nintendo expertise in (Wario Ware anyone?) are what handheld games are for...

I don't think CD's are a great idea and the GameGear was marketed well and had better specs too... and made by the most popular games manufactuerer at the time.... 4 hours battery life didn't cut the mustard though.
Mon 19/01/04 at 17:50
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Heh, Dringo, I'd laugh if after all this Nintendo used CDs in the end. But anyway, to counter your points.

Dringo wrote:
> 1: Carrying Discs around is no where near as smart as carrying carts
> that are much harder to damage.

I suspect Sony will use protected discs like their mini-disc technology.

> 2: The quickness thing i mentioned... a handheld game needing to load
> is a very bad sign.
> 3: Battery life as mentioned before.

I really don't think people would care. I think short battery life and loading times would be annoying annoying, I would care, but overall most people won't. As I've said before, if it's marketed well, the public will look past these downsides.

> 4: Over complicating the system with CD capabilities.

Despite the laser/battery drawback, CDs will be popular. They hold more stuff in a smaller space, and as Sony will probably use Cube sized discs.

> The biggest Gameboy Advance cart was 256 MB (Ocarina of Time sized)
> and you saw the tiny size of those carts, a bumb upto 512 MB maybe
> possible now and thusly an N64 speced system will be fantastic.
>
> It would be the true return of Rare we always wanted.

That maybe, but Sony is talking about a system capable of not N64/Playstation graphics, but near PS2 graphics. I think that would be near impossible to fit that level of technology on a portable cart.

Sure, Nintendo need to be worried about phone games, but I'm sure they'll remain as things you do while you're bored in the bus queue, not something that you can play constantly. Then there's the added complexity of having to find and download and pay for new games online. Most phones aren't equipped to play games that require a good deal of tech. If people want games, they'll buy a console, not a phone, which is why the N-Gage failed.

The PSP poses a bigger threat than mobiles. Of course it does: people will buy the PSP for it's games, just like they will buy the GBA2 for it's games. The PSP will undoubtably take away the GBA2's sales, more than people getting their gaming fix with their phones.
Mon 19/01/04 at 15:01
Regular
Nintendo should be loosing sleep over the popularity of mobile gaming, not the PSP.

If Nintendo no longer use cartridges then we have a major mistake, Sony are making a big mistake using discs and here is why:

1: Carrying Discs around is no where near as smart as carrying carts that are much harder to damage.

2: The quickness thing i mentioned... a handheld game needing to load is a very bad sign.

3: Battery life as mentioned before.

4: Over complicating the system with CD capabilities.

The biggest Gameboy Advance cart was 256 MB (Ocarina of Time sized) and you saw the tiny size of those carts, a bumb upto 512 MB maybe possible now and thusly an N64 speced system will be fantastic.

It would be the true return of Rare we always wanted.
Sun 18/01/04 at 21:25
Regular
I hope that Nintendo will include a harddisk in the gba2.
So if it will be cd-based you could download older game-boy games to it instead of the cartridge system.
And it will also be important to compete with Sony, which will porbably have a harddisk inclunded in the psp.
But then again, you have the battery time...
Sun 18/01/04 at 19:49
Regular
"bit of a brain"
How many people actually play their GBAs outside of their house?
Sun 18/01/04 at 19:42
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> Now Tphi you are forgetting many a thing... A: Nintendo have gone up
> against the Final Fantasy games before with the Wonderswan, and
> Nintendo won.

I think you won't deny Nintendo have a MUCH bigger challenge ahead competing against the Wonderswan than the PSP. No one has even heard of it outside of Japan! This won't be the same with Sony, who'll will make sure the PSP is marketed well, and it will get publicity from being a smaller Playstation: Sony's all-conquering history will mean Playstation fans are likely to buy it. The Wonderswan didn't have that, and barely existed outside of Japan.

> B: Battery life is a killer, with a laser, in built memory card, CD
> capabilties etc... will cause major problems for Sony.

Thing is, Nintendo might use laser too, so the battery difference could be minimal. Nintendo know the last time a console of their's which used Cartridges still came up against a Sony one with CDs, even though Sony had no experience in that field, the Sony one won. Games will be cheaper, publisher overheads less = less support for Ninty. Having a laser is a good thing, and just cos battery life killed others, if it's well enough marketed, it won't be a problem.

> c: Handheld gaming is gaming on the go, the idea is that is more
> simple, quicker and cheaper.... the PSP is none of these.

In simplicity, the PSP could easily be an equal of the GBA2. As for quickness, we'll have to wait for a confirmation of the PSP and GBA2's specs to compare. As for cheaper, well that may be the case, it may not. But Sony know how to market around this.

> D: Sure the PSP may stay around, the first handheld of its type to
> last a generation against Nintendo... But Pokemon is one mighty big
> empire.

I agree with you here, the PSP may stay around. But that then CERTAINLY means Ninty should "lose sleep over it". Any console that can go up against the GBA and get a footheld is worth losing sleep over. No other machine has managed it. And if the PSP suceeds, even to take away a portion of the GBA's sales, the Sony have a victory and they'll stick around. I can't see them abandoning the handheld market. PSP2? You bet.
Sun 18/01/04 at 10:45
Regular
Now Tphi you are forgetting many a thing... A: Nintendo have gone up against the Final Fantasy games before with the Wonderswan, and Nintendo won.

B: Battery life is a killer, with a laser, in built memory card, CD capabilties etc... will cause major problems for Sony.

c: Handheld gaming is gaming on the go, the idea is that is more simple, quicker and cheaper.... the PSP is none of these.

D: Sure the PSP may stay around, the first handheld of its type to last a generation against Nintendo... But Pokemon is one mighty big empire.

As for the N-Gage mate it isn't a great console, Monkey Ball runs wooden, Tony Hawks is alright but you are always pressing re-set when you're button bashing, it has good mobile abilties but i'd be ashamed to hold one of those to my ears and all the other games suffer major slowdown issues or so I've read through reviews.

It's like the PSP, it may have loads of cool extras but the companies are missing the main issues... the same issues Nintendo only ever concentrate on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.