GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Ninty lose sleep over Sony's PSP ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/01/04 at 01:10
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Look at the price ! Posted similar topic in Sony forum to see their response.

Source:Eurogamer

New comments made by recently promoted Sony Europe president Chris Deering regarding the PlayStation Portable have hinted at a price point in the £250 range, while Japanese retail sources quote figures in a similar range.

Deering stated that the system would diverge from Sony's traditional console business model by being sold at a price which would make a profit on hardware alone, and suggested a price "closer to £200 than £300."

This comment ties in with information from Japanese retail sources early last week, who told us that a price point around 50,000 Yen was being bandied about in Tokyo - in fact, the most exact figure we were given was 48,000 Yen, almost exactly £250.

Quoted in UK trade paper MCV, Deering said that "the feeling is that this product should generate profit on hardware alone. We want to make it affordable for publishers to produce a wide range of entertainment and so royalties will be lower down in the mix this time round."

A move to reduce royalties on the system would be a major boost to third party support for the PSP, especially since for many publishers, the last experience they had of handheld gaming was Nintendo's GBA - where high royalty and manufacturing costs mean that very few companies other than Nintendo itself make a profit from the system, despite the fact that Nintendo also makes a profit on hardware sales.

Early last week, Deering stated that the company was aiming for a global launch for PSP in November of this year, although that figure was quickly revised to mid-December by SCE vice president Masutsuka Saeki, who gave the new estimate in an interview with Famitsu.
Sun 18/01/04 at 00:24
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Riiight.

The PSP will appeal to more than gadget people. You can't deny serious gamers are intrested in it. It's more than just a gadget, this will be a games machine, just like the Playstation, which put Sony on the map.

"Nintendo's Gameboy system has all the EA games, has tekken, has metal gear solid, has final fantasy and has GTA.... so in otherwords the PSP doesn't have anything over them." You're right, Dringo, it does has all those games. But so, without a doubt, will the PSP. It's very likely that games will be designed for the GBA2 and the PSP simultaneously - developers won't want to miss out on the PSP, especially with lower overheads and cheaper manufacturing if PSP uses discs and GBA2 sticks with cartridges.

And of course the PSP will have some cracking exclusives. I can easily see shrunken down FF7, GTA3.. You can bet the new GBA won't have them, Sony'll make sure of that.
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:43
Regular
""To the pub...""
Dringo wrote:
> The N-GAGE is an awful handheld, it doesn't do phone well because of
> the size and shape, it doesn't do gaming well due to the slowdown and
> the position of the buttons... it doesn't even do battery life well.
>
> The PSP will only stand up against Nintendo if Sony market it as a
> new product, like the mini-disc player etc.... and so therefore it
> will sell to those who are after a cool new gadget, not a handheld
> games console....
>
> Nintendo's Gameboy system has all the EA games, has tekken, has metal
> gear solid, has final fantasy and has GTA.... so in otherwords the
> PSP doesn't have anything over them.
>
> You think the casual gamer will buy the console, that is heavily
> overpriced, because it has fantastic specs? Think Again... this did
> not save the GameGear. Also rumours are abound that Nintendo's follow
> up will be based on N64 hardware, therefore housing N64 titles.
>
> The N64 is probably the greatest underatted console of all time...
> fantastic games that no-one bought. Sony releasing their PSP is all
> well and good but Nintendo's console will be able to sell their ideas
> that attracted people first time round a fresh.
>
> Imagine Rare re-making Goldeneye with a few multiplayer extras for
> the system or a scaled down re-worked version of Ocarina of Time.
>
> My friends Nintendo need to keep and eye on the PSP but it is Sony
> who should be frightened... not Nintendo.

1)The N-gage isn't that big jesus some Pdas etc have built it phone and are bigger.

2)The shape does'nt really matter can have a bluetooth headset or handsfree.

3)Slowdown ? have'nt heared much of this from people who own them and what about all the emulators you can download for it.

4)And Like i said before gameboys and nintendo will always do better who just want gaming as for sony, nokia and the like they are more aimed at gadget people.
Sat 17/01/04 at 18:19
Regular
The N-GAGE is an awful handheld, it doesn't do phone well because of the size and shape, it doesn't do gaming well due to the slowdown and the position of the buttons... it doesn't even do battery life well.

The PSP will only stand up against Nintendo if Sony market it as a new product, like the mini-disc player etc.... and so therefore it will sell to those who are after a cool new gadget, not a handheld games console....

Nintendo's Gameboy system has all the EA games, has tekken, has metal gear solid, has final fantasy and has GTA.... so in otherwords the PSP doesn't have anything over them.

You think the casual gamer will buy the console, that is heavily overpriced, because it has fantastic specs? Think Again... this did not save the GameGear. Also rumours are abound that Nintendo's follow up will be based on N64 hardware, therefore housing N64 titles.

The N64 is probably the greatest underatted console of all time... fantastic games that no-one bought. Sony releasing their PSP is all well and good but Nintendo's console will be able to sell their ideas that attracted people first time round a fresh.

Imagine Rare re-making Goldeneye with a few multiplayer extras for the system or a scaled down re-worked version of Ocarina of Time.

My friends Nintendo need to keep and eye on the PSP but it is Sony who should be frightened... not Nintendo.
Tue 13/01/04 at 21:58
Regular
""To the pub...""
gerriod_the_princess wrote:
> But it doesn't excell at any of the things that it does.
>
> More features doesn't necessarily = better product. You just assume
> that I'm a 'Nintendo Fanboy' because, well I don't know why. Talk to
> anyne with an n-gage and they'll tell you to buy a good phone if you
> want a phone, buy a good mp3 player if you want an mp3 player, or buy
> a portable games console that is both portable and plays decent
> games. You can get an n-gage but it's most likely that you'll wish
> that you hadn't.

Not necessarily no but in this case yes i already have a colour mobile phone so i might not use it as a mobile even if i did it has all the best mobile features anyway.

as for the games console itself well its a first so it may not be brilliant but a portable red faction sounds good and all the Free emulators for the Gameboy colour and snes etc and anyway i'm not too bothered about mobile gaming if i want to play a game i use my xbox.

as a Mp3 player i have'nt tested it yet but from people who own it sounds good and can upgrade the memory via MMC cards plus has built in radio.

basically you get alot more than what you pay for sure like you mentioned in your other post you can buy the seperate stuff but thats like the cheapest console cheapest cd player etc and all not in one small package.

Then theres all the other stuff you can do with this use it as a PDA all the free software thats avaliable for it to download free via USB cable.

Then you can use it with a Digital camera buy using the cards from the camera to the phone then send them to people which is actually better than having a built in camera since built in camera phones are cr*p anyway compared to a cheap digital camera.

if all you want to do is play game then yes a gameboy would be better but not for me.
Tue 13/01/04 at 20:16
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> the most simple games are of course the most popular hand
> held games.

But the most popular aren't necessarily the best.
Tue 13/01/04 at 19:31
Regular
The N-Gage is so lame.
Tue 13/01/04 at 18:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Portable CD player £30
Phone with camera etc Free - £120
PS1 £30

Total £60 - £180
Tue 13/01/04 at 18:16
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ha ha, i thought the PSP would have a chance, but retailing above £200 is just suicide.

People want a home console with home console power for that price. Regardless of "it can play cd's and stuff too!".
Tue 13/01/04 at 18:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
But it doesn't excell at any of the things that it does.

More features doesn't necessarily = better product. You just assume that I'm a 'Nintendo Fanboy' because, well I don't know why. Talk to anyne with an n-gage and they'll tell you to buy a good phone if you want a phone, buy a good mp3 player if you want an mp3 player, or buy a portable games console that is both portable and plays decent games. You can get an n-gage but it's most likely that you'll wish that you hadn't.
Tue 13/01/04 at 17:02
Regular
""To the pub...""
See one example of what i said a Brainless nintendo fanboy gimp hmm yes i'll buy a N-gage a series 60 symbian based phone with more features than you can shack a stick at plus a mp3 player a radio and a games console of shall i buy a gameboy which isn't a mobile isn't a mp3 player can't get free games for can't use realone player on and the n-gage only costs £40 more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.