GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Ninty lose sleep over Sony's PSP ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/01/04 at 01:10
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Look at the price ! Posted similar topic in Sony forum to see their response.

Source:Eurogamer

New comments made by recently promoted Sony Europe president Chris Deering regarding the PlayStation Portable have hinted at a price point in the £250 range, while Japanese retail sources quote figures in a similar range.

Deering stated that the system would diverge from Sony's traditional console business model by being sold at a price which would make a profit on hardware alone, and suggested a price "closer to £200 than £300."

This comment ties in with information from Japanese retail sources early last week, who told us that a price point around 50,000 Yen was being bandied about in Tokyo - in fact, the most exact figure we were given was 48,000 Yen, almost exactly £250.

Quoted in UK trade paper MCV, Deering said that "the feeling is that this product should generate profit on hardware alone. We want to make it affordable for publishers to produce a wide range of entertainment and so royalties will be lower down in the mix this time round."

A move to reduce royalties on the system would be a major boost to third party support for the PSP, especially since for many publishers, the last experience they had of handheld gaming was Nintendo's GBA - where high royalty and manufacturing costs mean that very few companies other than Nintendo itself make a profit from the system, despite the fact that Nintendo also makes a profit on hardware sales.

Early last week, Deering stated that the company was aiming for a global launch for PSP in November of this year, although that figure was quickly revised to mid-December by SCE vice president Masutsuka Saeki, who gave the new estimate in an interview with Famitsu.
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:55
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Silver_Knight wrote:
> I'm actually thinking of getting a N-gage

hahahaahahahahahaahahahhaahha
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Silver_Knight wrote:
> 17-30's
> will own a psp more grown up and they have jobs to spend the money
> on.

Think about what you just said and understand why it makes 0 sense.

> Then theres the other 2 consoles the B'ngo and Gmaetrac if the
> gametrac gets realeased with the features its boosting and at the
> price there estimating then it will outclass the psp in terms of
> features and beat the gameboy in terms of price.

Neither of these consoles is widely known enough to have anything but a minor impact. Look at the Wonderswan
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:49
Regular
"bit of a brain"
That's nothing, THREE WHOLE REAL PEOPLE own X-boxes in my year.
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
""To the pub...""
I'm actually thinking of getting a N-gage ok so lots of people don't like them but have you seen all the things it can do and for only £129.99 on orange pay-as-you-go thats bloody cheap as well

considering you can download and play snes and gb emulators and other emulators and roms for free.

has Bluetooth for gaming and can use it for other stuff like wireless headset and camera.

has Gprs for fast acess to w@p

has sms/mms/ems/smart-messaging and e-mail

can take screenshots of games and send them to people via mms or set as a wallpaper

can download any pic from pc to use as wallpaper etc

loads of free software programmes can download

got mp3 player and radio

and loads and loads

quite frankly its very good and for that price its brilliant i think i've been listening to too many nintendo fanboys well not any more might get one at least until psp or something else comes along
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:34
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
I think that they should start getting worried about the N-gage.

A WHOLE FOUR PEOPLE in my year now own one.

*manic laugh*
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:26
Regular
""To the pub...""
That maybe but i would rather have a PsP even if it costs more money than own a gameboy the 2 will be aimed at different people anyway gameboys anyone can use but more lickly that people between 17-30's will own a psp more grown up and they have jobs to spend the money on.

Then theres the other 2 consoles the B'ngo and Gmaetrac if the gametrac gets realeased with the features its boosting and at the price there estimating then it will outclass the psp in terms of features and beat the gameboy in terms of price.
Tue 13/01/04 at 16:23
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I quite agree, the next Gameboy will be something special and a lot under £200 hopefully.
Tue 13/01/04 at 14:29
Regular
No a complex machine is alright for home use but not for hand held gaming... the most simple games are of course the most popular hand held games.

There is no way Sony can dream of destroying the GB's massive fan base... especially at £200 +

Nintendo will be keeping an eye on it and crushing it just like everyone that has come before it.

SEGA had a lot of pulling power too... had a far better system that was in full colour...

Nintendo destroyed them due to battery power.

Just watch.
Tue 13/01/04 at 13:34
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
If Sony's PSX is anything to go by, the PSP could be rushed and for Xmas 04 in Japan and have the specs cut dramatically
Tue 13/01/04 at 13:24
Regular
Have you seen the first ps2 games?
I did not say all games, but some of them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.