GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Ninty lose sleep over Sony's PSP ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/01/04 at 01:10
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Look at the price ! Posted similar topic in Sony forum to see their response.

Source:Eurogamer

New comments made by recently promoted Sony Europe president Chris Deering regarding the PlayStation Portable have hinted at a price point in the £250 range, while Japanese retail sources quote figures in a similar range.

Deering stated that the system would diverge from Sony's traditional console business model by being sold at a price which would make a profit on hardware alone, and suggested a price "closer to £200 than £300."

This comment ties in with information from Japanese retail sources early last week, who told us that a price point around 50,000 Yen was being bandied about in Tokyo - in fact, the most exact figure we were given was 48,000 Yen, almost exactly £250.

Quoted in UK trade paper MCV, Deering said that "the feeling is that this product should generate profit on hardware alone. We want to make it affordable for publishers to produce a wide range of entertainment and so royalties will be lower down in the mix this time round."

A move to reduce royalties on the system would be a major boost to third party support for the PSP, especially since for many publishers, the last experience they had of handheld gaming was Nintendo's GBA - where high royalty and manufacturing costs mean that very few companies other than Nintendo itself make a profit from the system, despite the fact that Nintendo also makes a profit on hardware sales.

Early last week, Deering stated that the company was aiming for a global launch for PSP in November of this year, although that figure was quickly revised to mid-December by SCE vice president Masutsuka Saeki, who gave the new estimate in an interview with Famitsu.
Tue 13/01/04 at 01:10
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Look at the price ! Posted similar topic in Sony forum to see their response.

Source:Eurogamer

New comments made by recently promoted Sony Europe president Chris Deering regarding the PlayStation Portable have hinted at a price point in the £250 range, while Japanese retail sources quote figures in a similar range.

Deering stated that the system would diverge from Sony's traditional console business model by being sold at a price which would make a profit on hardware alone, and suggested a price "closer to £200 than £300."

This comment ties in with information from Japanese retail sources early last week, who told us that a price point around 50,000 Yen was being bandied about in Tokyo - in fact, the most exact figure we were given was 48,000 Yen, almost exactly £250.

Quoted in UK trade paper MCV, Deering said that "the feeling is that this product should generate profit on hardware alone. We want to make it affordable for publishers to produce a wide range of entertainment and so royalties will be lower down in the mix this time round."

A move to reduce royalties on the system would be a major boost to third party support for the PSP, especially since for many publishers, the last experience they had of handheld gaming was Nintendo's GBA - where high royalty and manufacturing costs mean that very few companies other than Nintendo itself make a profit from the system, despite the fact that Nintendo also makes a profit on hardware sales.

Early last week, Deering stated that the company was aiming for a global launch for PSP in November of this year, although that figure was quickly revised to mid-December by SCE vice president Masutsuka Saeki, who gave the new estimate in an interview with Famitsu.
Tue 13/01/04 at 11:53
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Ninty *should* loose sleep over the PSP.

The first major contender with a chance of unseating their monopoly of the handheld market (no, I don't count the N-Gage).

If it's going to make more profits for the publishers, as stated in the article, then more publishers will produce games for it, and will start to abandon the GBA. It'll be like Playstation beating the N64 all over again.

Despite the higher price, if royalties are reduced, it will have more software and will look more attractive. Nintendo really need to get their next GBA out before the PSP, but need to ensure it has equal, if not better specs.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Nintendo have to stop faffing about this and make the next GB hugely powerful and versatile, but also make it easy to use - even, dare I say it, stylish.

Nintendo games will always, always beat Sony, but Sony have the 'stylish' market wrapped up with the PSP, and Nintendo, if they lose out, well, I cannot see them ever possibly gaining strength again.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:02
Regular
The first?

You what?

Game Gear, Lynx, Wonder Swan... geez there's been hundreds.

at £300 Sony will be aiming at a totally different market than Nintendo, they'll be selling the multiple options of the system like the N Gage.

At around £80 Nintendo's next Game Boy should still control the market.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:03
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Nintendo have to stop faffing about this and make the next GB hugely
> powerful and versatile, but also make it easy to use - even, dare I
> say it, stylish.

Like the GBA SP.

> Nintendo games will always, always beat Sony, but Sony have the
> 'stylish' market wrapped up with the PSP, and Nintendo, if they lose
> out, well, I cannot see them ever possibly gaining strength again.

But the opposite could be true, this could potentially destroy Nintendo but a massive failure in the handheld market could cause a massive back lash on the home console front. I wrote a post about this a long time ago.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:05
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> The first?
>
> You what?
>
> Game Gear, Lynx, Wonder Swan... geez there's been hundreds.

*As I said* the PSP in my opinion is the first system with a chance of unseating Nintendo's handheld monopoly. None of those "hundreds" got close, and most never saw the light of day outside Japan.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hang on. I'm a 20yr old male, who has a lot of independant spending power.

That is the real market, because it has money.

I know Nintendo are faar better, christ, I advocate for them the whole time, just Dringo you must realise that the PSP could easily be, like Tphi seed, a PS/N64 thing all over again.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:18
Regular
Did no one read the GBA SP thing? Nintendo released the system in a hope to attract a wide range of adult gamers and the sales proved that it worked! The GBA SP was seen as a stylish, up market cool system.

Also unlike the N64 Nintendo have millions of third party supporters to their system.

Satouri Iwati famously said at E3 2003 "It was nice of sony to let us know 2 years before they plan on releasing the system, giving us enough time to create a counter attack"

In a later interview he said: "we are looking at many possibilities, we will not repeat our mistakes"

Now I learn the system is £200 - 300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a 19 year old with a lot of money to spend but I'm not spending over £90 on a hand held bloody console... especially not a remake of the Playstation.

I don't care if it can play CD's. surf the internet and do your homework... this will only decrease the battery life which was the EXACT reason for the Game Gear's failure.

Nintendo have a massive monopoly on hand held gaming... they never had this monopoly on the home console market.

Nintendo have succeeded amazingly to pull in adult gamers to the world of the Gameboy with the SP because it is childish (did you not see the adverts?)....

The SP has got a lot of ground to catch up on... but using CD's, thusly lasers and so in built memory card is going to use up a lot of battery power. Sony should keep it simple or they'll follow in the footsteps of the N-Gage.

Nintendo have managed to last a massive amount of time in the console market, out living the amiga, the atari, Spectrum and SEGA's systems...

Trust them for a bloody change they do, believe it or not, know far more than anyone on this forum.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:21
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Did no one read the GBA SP thing? Nintendo released the system in a
> hope to attract a wide range of adult gamers and the sales proved
> that it worked! The GBA SP was seen as a stylish, up market cool
> system.
>
> Also unlike the N64 Nintendo have millions of third party supporters
> to their system.
>
> Satouri Iwati famously said at E3 2003 "It was nice of sony to
> let us know 2 years before they plan on releasing the system, giving
> us enough time to create a counter attack"
>
> In a later interview he said: "we are looking at many
> possibilities, we will not repeat our mistakes"
>
> Now I learn the system is £200 - 300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a
> 19 year old with a lot of money to spend but I'm not spending over
> £90 on a hand held bloody console... especially not a remake of
> the Playstation.
>
> I don't care if it can play CD's. surf the internet and do your
> homework... this will only decrease the battery life which was the
> EXACT reason for the Game Gear's failure.
>
> Nintendo have a massive monopoly on hand held gaming... they never
> had this monopoly on the home console market.
>
> Nintendo have succeeded amazingly to pull in adult gamers to the
> world of the Gameboy with the SP because it is mature (did you not
> see the adverts?)....
>
> The PSP has got a lot of ground to catch up on... but using CD's,
> thusly lasers and so in built memory card is going to use up a lot of
> battery power. Sony should keep it simple or they'll follow in the
> footsteps of the N-Gage.
>
> Nintendo have managed to last a massive amount of time in the home console
> market, out living the amiga, the atari, Spectrum and SEGA's
> systems...
>
> Trust them for a bloody change they do, believe it or not, know far
> more than anyone on this forum.
Tue 13/01/04 at 12:22
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hang on. I do trust them, over most things. One thing I don't trust them on (in fact the only thing) is their perception of a modern market. The average person will want the PSP over a GBA SP or its successor, unless Nintendo match Sony. Power and features are what idiots understand, not the genius of Advance Wars 2. Etc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.