GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Was This A Good Deal?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/02/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ViewItem&item=3074749064&category=20391

I've paid £75 + £10 postage for a Black Gamecube (boxed), official memory card boxed (both supposedly new), Super Monkey Ball 2 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 Rebel Strike. Yeah, I know that the Star Wars game got mixed reviews but I'm a Star Wars fan and if I tolerated the Episode 1 games this should be no problem. I checked the average for both games selling seperately on eBay and both seem to reach around £20ish so I think that £75 for the lot was a good price? buying new was out of the question because I have a budget of about £130 to spend and that would have not bought a great deal of new stuff. I already have a Zelda Collector's edition disc as well...:D

Anyway, my Nintendo knowledge (apart from the fact this will be my third Gamecube - don't ask) comes from the new issue of NOM which I was sad to find has no A-Z of reviews of past games.

Hence if any one has some suggestions for good games, other than Zelda (which I'm going to get) then I'd be interested to hear them.

Also feel free to give me an ear bashing about the my criticism of Nintendo, though I still think they need a serious marketing rethink the desire to play Skies Of Arcadia and Ikaruga without paying a small fortune for them on my Dreamcast has over ridden that. Plus having seen a review of Crystal Chronicles there could well be some hat eating activity from me soon.
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:27
Regular
"tokyo police club"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I think he sold his Xbox long before I did. Glad I got out of it
> because LIVE is seriously heading downhill unless they start
> releasing some decent content and some decent games between now and
> the end of the year and with Halo 2 being delayed until Christmas and
> a price cut down to £99 reported for autumn of this year I am
> glad I got out when I did.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:27
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Multiplayer is not my thing, mainly down to the fact that my mates, whilst tolerating my gaming, aren't into games at all. They don't think they are sad or anything, they're just not interested.

Anyone played much of Resident Evil Zero? Is it worth 9.99? I'm thinking it is...
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:26
"I love yo... lamp."
Anyway, the main must get games for the Gamecube are F Zero GX and Viewtiful Joe.
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:25
"I love yo... lamp."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I think he sold his Xbox long before I did. Glad I got out of it
> because LIVE is seriously heading downhill unless they start
> releasing some decent content and some decent games between now and
> the end of the year and with Halo 2 being delayed until Christmas and
> a price cut down to £99 reported for autumn of this year I am
> glad I got out when I did.

It depends on what you like. For instance I love ice hockey, and am on the verge of getting a therapist to help me quit my ESPN NHL addiction. A review is in the works. It's a 10 anyway.

I'm disappointed about Halo 2 being delayed. I'll just keep reminding myself of how MSR turned out after numerous delays.

And as for that price cut, it was price cuts that resuscitated the Gamecube. Surely you would rather the Xbox was more successful at the expense of the PS2 than for it to fail?
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:24
Regular
If you're a multiplayer man then you need:

Smash Brothers
Timesplitters 2
Soccer Slam

I'd also recommend (if you can find them dirt cheap):

Gauntlet
Godzilla
Mario Kart (although many would rate this better than I do ;-))
Monkey Ball

By the by peeps, if there's any multiplayer masterpieces that have slipped my net, let me know! ;-)
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:20
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> First of all ditch Super Monkeyball 2 and get the original. The
> original is a work of genius, the sequel throws away all the
> challenging gameplay and gives you something that you can only

MB2 is just as fun as MB.
Wed 04/02/04 at 17:12
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Darwock wrote:
> I don't understand you people that sell consoles and buy them again
> later... you've got to be losing money each time, why not just put it
> away until such time you feel like playing it again?

Because I rarely lose a great deal doing it!

Right I sold my last gamecube, which was the Zelda platinum one with the game for £140 on eBay right? I bought it originally from Game for £129.99. A small profit. Plus the price of stuff falls quite fast now, hence I can pick up any thing I used to have and still want far cheaper than when I had it. Fair enough, you don't mess about with consoles like this, but I do and it doesn't bother me. I've already, for example, got 35 games for my PS2 and it's cost about £500-600 for it all, thats more games than I ever had for the console the previous times.

Xbox will not be making a reappearance now though.
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:57
Regular
Darwock wrote:

> I'm disappointed with Rebel Strike, I'd probably prefer RS2 which is
> included, but again thanks to Nintendo's multiplayer quirks I've
> never been able to play it.

That wasn't Nintendo's doing, anyway you can hardly expect them to include the whole of the previous game in single player as well. The fact that it's available at all is one hell of a bonus.
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I don't understand you people that sell consoles and buy them again later... you've got to be losing money each time, why not just put it away until such time you feel like playing it again?
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:55
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
First of all ditch Super Monkeyball 2 and get the original. The original is a work of genius, the sequel throws away all the challenging gameplay and gives you something that you can only complete based on random chance.

F-Zero GX is a must.

I'm disappointed with Rebel Strike, I'd probably prefer RS2 which is included, but again thanks to Nintendo's multiplayer quirks I've never been able to play it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.