GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Was This A Good Deal?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/02/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ViewItem&item=3074749064&category=20391

I've paid £75 + £10 postage for a Black Gamecube (boxed), official memory card boxed (both supposedly new), Super Monkey Ball 2 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 Rebel Strike. Yeah, I know that the Star Wars game got mixed reviews but I'm a Star Wars fan and if I tolerated the Episode 1 games this should be no problem. I checked the average for both games selling seperately on eBay and both seem to reach around £20ish so I think that £75 for the lot was a good price? buying new was out of the question because I have a budget of about £130 to spend and that would have not bought a great deal of new stuff. I already have a Zelda Collector's edition disc as well...:D

Anyway, my Nintendo knowledge (apart from the fact this will be my third Gamecube - don't ask) comes from the new issue of NOM which I was sad to find has no A-Z of reviews of past games.

Hence if any one has some suggestions for good games, other than Zelda (which I'm going to get) then I'd be interested to hear them.

Also feel free to give me an ear bashing about the my criticism of Nintendo, though I still think they need a serious marketing rethink the desire to play Skies Of Arcadia and Ikaruga without paying a small fortune for them on my Dreamcast has over ridden that. Plus having seen a review of Crystal Chronicles there could well be some hat eating activity from me soon.
Thu 05/02/04 at 10:21
Regular
Mario Kart?!?!?!?!?!

I have 53 Gamecube games, fifty bloody three and that comes in at a might number 3...

One of the best Gamecube games I own, only Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker beat it... and then it's pretty close.

Mario Kart not good... please.
Thu 05/02/04 at 10:16
Regular
VJ isn't that short really; it's just there's one especially hard part of the game that most people get stuck on and assume that's the end of it. If you want multiplayer, Mario Kart is great. Otherwise, VJ and Resi 0. I'm gonna Resi 0 when I get a bit of cash.
Thu 05/02/04 at 10:12
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
F-Zero, it'll be months before you've unlocked everyhing in that.
Thu 05/02/04 at 09:58
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
So far I've bought Windwaker (with the bonus disc) and Pikmin.

I can't decide whether to get;

Animal Crossing (ozzy Pal version from CD WOW)
Mario Kart
F Zero
Viewtiful Joe
Resident Evil 0

Really it's a case of one of the top 4 and Resi 0. I'd like to try Mario Kart but I'm worried that some reviews say it is too easy, whilst Edge was pretty critical of it. Some reviews say Viewtiful Joe is too hard, whilst others say it is too short?

Really I want the one with the most value for money because I'm going to be a bit low on cash for a while, until about April anyway.
Thu 05/02/04 at 00:30
"I love yo... lamp."
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Anyway, the main must get games for the Gamecube are F Zero GX and
> Viewtiful Joe.

I did. Just to prove that I don't actually have my cube for comedy purposes.
Thu 05/02/04 at 00:28
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> On the topic of Super Monkey Ball 2 I am just renting it at the moment
> and its a pretty decent game. Not as good as I thought as of yet but
> I have only played it for about 40 minutes. Heard it was like Marble
> Madness which I remember from the Atari ST, sadly I can't really see
> the similarities yet but I will give it more time before I judge it.

Get a few mates over and play the mini-games or whatever... Monkey Bowling, soccor, snooker, racing etc... are games in themselves!

Oh and of course many of us, including myself, have failed to mention Viewtiful Joe.

To bed ol' jimmy.
Wed 04/02/04 at 21:30
Regular
You have to play:

Eternal Darkness (extreamely good game, best in a long while, must buy!!)
Zelda:ww
tony hawks 3
Metroid Prime (also great)
Soul Calibur 2
The Hobbit (only on the cheap)
Wed 04/02/04 at 20:04
Regular
On the topic of Super Monkey Ball 2 I am just renting it at the moment and its a pretty decent game. Not as good as I thought as of yet but I have only played it for about 40 minutes. Heard it was like Marble Madness which I remember from the Atari ST, sadly I can't really see the similarities yet but I will give it more time before I judge it.
Wed 04/02/04 at 20:03
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Oh and download content on the Xbox is turning out to be a joke.
> £5 a course on Links 2004 and they plan on bringing 8 courses
> out between now and Autumn. £40? Ha! They are taking the piece
> a little, especially when you can download all you want for PC games
> and its all free.

That is ridiculous.

Not such a cheap gimmick after all then.
Wed 04/02/04 at 20:02
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> There isn't a 'massive' difference between the Xbox and PC versions of
> the two I mentioned but if you play the likes of Max Payne 2 amongst
> most other titles the PC versions are from a technical point of view
> better. Not that you would know of course but you always like to have
> a guess at which the better version is.

Ah yes, your random assumptions, yet again. Can you not think of anything else to say, or something? I'll never pass opinion on a game until I play it first.

No, I'm not going to guess at how Max Payne 2 will differ, because frankly I haven't played either version. Knights of the Old Republic, as you say, doesn't present much of a difference at all between the two versions, which was the point I was making.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.