GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Was This A Good Deal?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/02/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ViewItem&item=3074749064&category=20391

I've paid £75 + £10 postage for a Black Gamecube (boxed), official memory card boxed (both supposedly new), Super Monkey Ball 2 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 Rebel Strike. Yeah, I know that the Star Wars game got mixed reviews but I'm a Star Wars fan and if I tolerated the Episode 1 games this should be no problem. I checked the average for both games selling seperately on eBay and both seem to reach around £20ish so I think that £75 for the lot was a good price? buying new was out of the question because I have a budget of about £130 to spend and that would have not bought a great deal of new stuff. I already have a Zelda Collector's edition disc as well...:D

Anyway, my Nintendo knowledge (apart from the fact this will be my third Gamecube - don't ask) comes from the new issue of NOM which I was sad to find has no A-Z of reviews of past games.

Hence if any one has some suggestions for good games, other than Zelda (which I'm going to get) then I'd be interested to hear them.

Also feel free to give me an ear bashing about the my criticism of Nintendo, though I still think they need a serious marketing rethink the desire to play Skies Of Arcadia and Ikaruga without paying a small fortune for them on my Dreamcast has over ridden that. Plus having seen a review of Crystal Chronicles there could well be some hat eating activity from me soon.
Wed 04/02/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ViewItem&item=3074749064&category=20391

I've paid £75 + £10 postage for a Black Gamecube (boxed), official memory card boxed (both supposedly new), Super Monkey Ball 2 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 Rebel Strike. Yeah, I know that the Star Wars game got mixed reviews but I'm a Star Wars fan and if I tolerated the Episode 1 games this should be no problem. I checked the average for both games selling seperately on eBay and both seem to reach around £20ish so I think that £75 for the lot was a good price? buying new was out of the question because I have a budget of about £130 to spend and that would have not bought a great deal of new stuff. I already have a Zelda Collector's edition disc as well...:D

Anyway, my Nintendo knowledge (apart from the fact this will be my third Gamecube - don't ask) comes from the new issue of NOM which I was sad to find has no A-Z of reviews of past games.

Hence if any one has some suggestions for good games, other than Zelda (which I'm going to get) then I'd be interested to hear them.

Also feel free to give me an ear bashing about the my criticism of Nintendo, though I still think they need a serious marketing rethink the desire to play Skies Of Arcadia and Ikaruga without paying a small fortune for them on my Dreamcast has over ridden that. Plus having seen a review of Crystal Chronicles there could well be some hat eating activity from me soon.
Wed 04/02/04 at 14:58
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yes. It was a good deal.

And Rebel Strike is so mixed. The flying and speeder bike bits are good, but try to avoid the on-foot levels like the plague.
Wed 04/02/04 at 15:00
Regular
Well Rogue Squadron 3 has the entire of RS2 as co-operative so it's a good game really. And Super Monkey Ball 2 is just fantastic so it's a pretty good deal.

So you've followed ÂLŠ†ÂÎR, I won't comment.

Try Resident Evil games, Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Sunshine (hell yeah), Eternal DArkness, 1080, Pikmin, Metroid Prime.

Sunshine, ED, Pikmin, Prime etc... are all avalible fantastically as apart of the Players Choice range.
Wed 04/02/04 at 15:11
Regular
I think he sold his Xbox long before I did. Glad I got out of it because LIVE is seriously heading downhill unless they start releasing some decent content and some decent games between now and the end of the year and with Halo 2 being delayed until Christmas and a price cut down to £99 reported for autumn of this year I am glad I got out when I did.
Wed 04/02/04 at 15:24
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Yeah, I bought a new PS2 on Christmas Eve thanks to a great Argos deal - 138.75 with two free platinum games of your choice and a steering wheel (which I ebay'ed for £15) and decided to sell the Xbox at the start of January. It all sold on eBay for a surprisingly high amount!

I never really got into Live and began to hate the way Microsoft kept going on about it. In fact I remember Alastair passionately defending Live at the the time :D Times change eh? Having said that I have a network adapter for the PS2 and play occasionally, I think Sony have a better long term balance regards online gaming because they are not using it as a massive selling point for the console, overall though I think Nintendo got it right with online gaming though they should never have bothered with the online adapters at all. If you're not bothered about doing something don't bother at all. Instead a lot of people have a limited use adapter.

I'll admit the prospect of Halo 2 nearly stopped me selling, but now Halo 2 has gone back even further - a sign possibly that things aren't so good this time - I don't care. It seems like Microsoft is using the game as a proverbial carrot, dangling it then running away in the hopes the fans will keep on following. Xbox has some good games, but in my personal opinion, long term value wise none of them ever surpassed Halo.
Wed 04/02/04 at 15:29
Regular
Agreed, that and Knights of the Old Republic which I now have on PC! Why have copper when you can have gold?
Wed 04/02/04 at 15:50
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Honestly, I played KOTOR the weekend I got it then never touched it. One of the things I like about the the PS2 is I can go into places like Gamestation and browse through masses of games and get some old, but good, games for great prices. With Xbox I basically bounced from new release to new release all the time. Still I did get most of my money back!
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:08
Regular
Rebel Strike is good fun, but I promise you that you'll hate it when you come to the latter sections of the game. As for games you should get, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Reign of Fire (multiformat, but you can get it for around a fiver), Resident Evil Remake & 0, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Viewtiful Joe... just take your pick out of those. Probably a few I forgot too. VJ, Metroid and Eternal Darkness' are the must have's of those though.

Oh, and if you want a review index, try Cube. Some of their scores are a little crappy, but most are fairly accurate.
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:10
Regular
Oh, and thanks for reminding me eBay existed... the stupid gits are charging me £18 for a bunch of free listings and four or five final value fees. So a big muh to them.
Wed 04/02/04 at 16:20
Regular
Pikmin 2, not out yet but when it does finally get a release I reckon that could be the game that makes me buy a Cube again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.