GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Crushed" How the DS will decide Nintendo's fate."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/02/04 at 00:40
Regular
It is very rare for Nintendo to ever admit they're in the S**t but looks like they have done. Speaking to various Japanese publications Iwati of Nintendo fame confirmed that they are struggling to read the "Japanese Market".

It appears Nintendo maybe thrashing Microsoft but they are still suffering badly and the brave attempt to save themselves stems from Iwati's belief that "Consumers don't want flash graphics and better machines". So Enter the DS, Nintendo's big hope, success will mean a saved Nintendo....

"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

Ah. Naturally with the continuing massacre on peoples wallets by the Pokemon franchise there is little to fear in the bankcrupcy department.

But it looks like the DS is more important than we though.

For the love of God say you are right Nintendo... please be right.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:40
Regular
What the same Metal Gear games that would come out on the GBA?

Yes Belldandy the DS doesn't offer these movies or music but you've obviously forgotten the argument...

Someone maybe you stated that the PSP wants to carve a market for itself out of the casual gamers... The DS is trying to sell itself to the hardcore gamer and maybe attract the Casual one with the "cool" new idea...

The PSP doesn't offer anything really that would persuade people to enter handheld gaming...

Whilst the DS just plays on the already massive handheld userbase Nintendo so happily control.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:35
Regular
"uncopyable"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I don't know why you are all speculating about the PSP seeing as very
> few details have been released about it. Its all about what games
> will be on offer rather than anything else. If there is a Metal Gear
> game or portable GT game on release I think they can pretty much
> guarantee the majority of fans.

We are not speculating about the PSP in terms of what it will look like or other such 'vapourware' chat like that. What we are discussing is how this machine is going to find a place in the handheld market, how are Sony going to convince casual gamers to spend £150 on a portable PS1, how a mainstream gamer is going to react to spending more on a PSP than he did on a PS2, or how they go about taking customers away from the GBA franchise.

Questions like this will be relevant regardless of what the machine looks like, or what type of LCD screen it uses.

As you will learn with age my friend, nothing is guaranteed, least of all in the video games market.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:23
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Dringo wrote:
> Safedisc_V2 wrote:
> So just when is a casual gamer going to use a £150 PSP?
>
> Which is more to the point...

No it's not. Plenty of "casual gamers" forked out nearly £300 for PS2 consoles, and the same with Playstation.

> And if the video and music function isn't included at the start it'll
> be so dissapointing.

This would be the functions that the DS doesn't even have??
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:23
Regular
"uncopyable"
Please enough already!!! The PSP WILL NOT have PS2 quality visuals.

It is effectively a portable version of the PS1.

To quote Sony themselves...

'Sony, one of the world's largest consumer electronics makers, said the portable version of its best-selling **PlayStation game machine**, which is anticipated to include a digital music and video player, will still be released in Japan in 2004.'

Yes I know it’s a very nice thought that we could be able to play GTA Vice City on a PSP, but equally I find the thought of getting home from a night on the beer and finding Jenna Jameson waiting for me in bed a rather nice thought.

Sadly neither are gonna’ happen anytime soon.

The PSP is gonna’ have its work cut out carving a place in the handheld market as it is, without people expecting the damn thing to be a portable PS2. I am more than happy with the thought that I’ll be able to play Metal Gear Solid and a Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 on the machine.

When a PSP 2 - or PSP Advanced ;-) – is announced a few years down the line, then we can talk about a portable PS2 with a semblance of reality.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:21
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
PSone quality visuals on a small handheld would look like PS2 quality anyway, because of the resolution. There's no need to deliver any more detail that won't be seen.

Regarding the 'emotion engine' hype, Sony didn't actually make any false claims there... they just used advertising lingo. As I recall, it was something like 'capable of delivering 3D rendering so powerful it will actually make you feel the emotions'. Well, yeah... FFX, Ico, in fact lots of 3D renderings have made me feel the emotion ;-)

Now, the talk about PS3 having an eyeToy that can detect the PLAYERS emotions... THAT is b*ll*cks!
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:14
Regular
I don't know why you are all speculating about the PSP seeing as very few details have been released about it. Its all about what games will be on offer rather than anything else. If there is a Metal Gear game or portable GT game on release I think they can pretty much guarantee the majority of fans.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:10
Regular
Safedisc_V2 wrote:
> So just when is a casual gamer going to use a £150 PSP?

Which is more to the point...

And if the video and music function isn't included at the start it'll be so dissapointing.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:05
Regular
"uncopyable"
So just when is a casual gamer going to use a £150 PSP?
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:03
Regular
It is a good point... Sony promising the world and then delivering a Village.
Thu 26/02/04 at 11:01
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
According to Gamesradar, the PSP has been delayed in the UK until 2005.
I still have my doubts about this system though. Remember the Emotion Engine and this amazing hyped up Cell chip thingy?

Sony have a track record of PR waffle and hype, so I'm not going to get too hyped up about the PSP until I see much more details about it. Remember when the GBA was in the rumourmill, there were mock-up pictures of it in magazines playing Mario 64, but at the end of the day it can only muster SNES style visuals. So are Sony going to be able to take a massive leap and produce PS2 quality visuals on a small handheld? I think you're more likely to have PSone quality visuals at best.

Obviously it'd be great if it could produce PS2 quality visuals in games, but we'll have to wait and see...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.