GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you ever hate gaming?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/03/04 at 20:20
Regular
"everyone says it"
I'm not sure what to do. I've got nobody to jump up onto. I've decided to sit back down and try again.

Gaming is dying for me, it's trully fizzling out. It's not that I don't enjoy it anymore, and it's not even that I don't have time for it. I think the answer lies in the fact I don't abuse gaming and use it as my form of escapism anymore. Now I've turned to writing, filming and my mind for that. What then becomes of the games? The world which in all honestly brought me up through the rough as I tried to ignore the pain that I had everything else reminding me of.

I'm trying. Immediately after I finish writing this I shall go and pick up Prince of Persia and enjoy. Try to enjoy. It's a superb game, but I find myself distracted by pretty things flying past my window. Even if they aren't actually there.

I'll blame this bout and topic on depression and insomnia. I haven't slept since Saturday and I'm becoming very weird. I'm living on Mountain Dew!

Anyways - my question! Do you ever just hate gaming?
Wed 10/03/04 at 16:52
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I frequently hate gaming, usually just after I have had my 15+ winning streak ended in VF4:Evo by some lowly punk, cos I lost concentration.

But like Tellah, all it takes is to whack on Guitar Freaks and I find my mood improves in a matter of minutes. You just need to find your 'tonic', so to speak!
Wed 10/03/04 at 14:24
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I think it depends on the type of game and the type of mood you're in.

Adventure games (e.g. Prince of Persia), for me, are the sort of game that frequently goes beyond puzzle solving into fustration and hatred. It's purely because the next level is dangling there like a carrot on a stick that you push through the fustrating bits. Sometimes it's rewarding, but not always. It'll grind you down over time.

It's the same for other genres that deliberatly cause you to feel beaten / hard done-by / lost etc. Purely to make you feel more relieved and happy once you've progressed.

If it was easy, where would the fun be? But some genres are easy on the brain, but fun too.

I'll put my Sigman Frued hat on now, and suggest if games are turning you off, either through hatred or boredom, you switch to a quick fix genre of game. One that gives you a shot of the brain's happy drugs and doesn't tax your temporal lobes :P.

My personal fav. for this sort of play is Guitar Freaks. I know it's not on the GC, but you can play this for the sheer joy of playing, NOT for progression through the game.

Anyway - that's the conclusion I came to when I started to fall out of love with gaming. Buy the fun games. Sounds obvious lol!
Wed 10/03/04 at 14:15
Regular
Talking of which, it sounds like Er-no is too experienced when it comes to games.

**hint hint** see my prime topic **hint hint**

;-)
Wed 10/03/04 at 10:44
Regular
SabreWulf this Friday, whoop!

Anyhoo, I felt a little pisssed off las**t night (yes... a little...), then I sat down, had a go on Banjo-Tooie and realised why I love gaming. It's always there if you're bored, if you've had a sh*t day and s**till proves to be an escape even after all these years of playing.

Having said that, I can get back from a crap day, put my GameCube and hate it if I'm not playing the right game. Escapism isn't about playing virtual football and other such realis**tic games.

The Cube has done this so far on a number of occasions with Zelda, BG&E, Sunshine and Kirby Air Ride mos**t notably. Tis the bes**t console for it by a long shot.

Although at the moment, the GBA is looking to have a better line-up.

Games rock, whoooo!
Wed 10/03/04 at 04:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
tributé wrote:
> Games only die if you don't want to be interested in them.

I want to be interested in them! I want to produce/direct a company who makes games. I have an awesome idea for an FPS.... anyways heh... I want it to come back and for me to love it!

The GBA is the best thing at the moment! :)
Tue 09/03/04 at 23:36
Regular
"thursdayton!"
I never hate gaming in genaral.. but I go through periods where I don't play as much. Not because I hate it, more because I feel I haven't got the time, or that my time can be spent in.. let's say "more productive" ways. But then I pick up a really good game and I forget the rest of my life again.
Tue 09/03/04 at 23:32
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Games only die if you don't want to be interested in them.
Tue 09/03/04 at 22:57
Regular
I wouldn't say hate, but I've not had any interest in it for a couple of months now.
I sometimes pick up Final Fantasy Tictacs or something on my GBA, but that's just if I'm bored rather than because I particularly want to play.

Even when I did play, the last games I played were a bit of the NES zelda, a bit of Mario Kart, a bit of Fifa '04 and a bit of Defender.
New games, I gave them a quick spin, since I'd just got them, and that was it.

It seems like such a waste, I have a panasonic Q, a 'unique' ( :^) )sprayed blue Gamecube, a SP, PS2, not to mention all the old consoles, and a stack of games.
But they all just sit there.

No releases since Zelda have excited me, and none in the future look to change that. To be honest I don't know if I'll bother to buy a next generation console.

I didn't expect I'd ever leave gaming behind. At least not for years.. But, I think I am.
Tue 09/03/04 at 22:55
Regular
Far Cry, Gangland, Lord of the Rings RTS using Command and Conquer Generals engine + a load of games that people overlook like Savage released last month which is absolutely fantastic.
Tue 09/03/04 at 22:48
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Im thinking of selling the cube and going PC.

there's nothing much except Doom 3 (maybe), half life 2 and UT2004.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.