GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow'.
Tue 30/03/04 at 03:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No idea what multiplayer is like, because I grew bored of that rubbish years ago on the PC, and playing against headset wearing kids really doesn't appeal.

However - the single player game is absolutely fantastic.
A definite improvement over the original in terms of graphics and certainly in gameplay.
Remember in the 1st how those poxy wall-lights, the tiny bulbs would take a few shots even though you were lined up perfecto? Not any more, even if you don't use the laser sight supplied.
The AI that meant gaurds on the other end of a level knew you had killed somebody way back and alarms went off? Nope.
Just good solid stealth action. And none of your MGS2 crap either.
Because despite the hype, what was that game?
"Check radar, wait, shoot and stuff in locker. Repeat" with endless cut scenes, fixed cameras and preachy moralising (although the politics of this game are slightly suspect to say the least...crush East Timoor Rebels? Er...)

There is much to be said for silently creeping along a darkened corridor, climbing onto a pipe and shimmying across, hanging from your feet and shooting a baddie upside down.

However, I've reached the Indonesia Jungle levels and...oh yes.
Amazing graphics, really puts you in the atmosphere with tall grass that bends and folds as you duck-walk through it, simply incredible. The mist and light effect would do Ridley Scott proud and there's something immensely satisfying about popping up, shooting somebody in the head and ducking back into the pampas grass before anybody knows what's what.
If you wanted MGS2 to be immersive stealth with the minutiae all in place and were left bored with another cut-scene as you walked through a door or simply grew weary of hiding in lockers for radars to go back to normal then pick up Splinter Cell 2.
It's worth it just for the jungle levels alone. Oh, and the train level. And Jeruselam is good fun.

Deus Ex 2 is a bit rubbish though, it has to be said.
Mon 05/04/04 at 23:06
"I love yo... lamp."
Twin Snakes is good, don't get me wrong, but not good enough. Other than the graphics, there is no real improvement on a 5 to 6 year old game. I was never a huge Resi fan, so I wasn't that wowed by the remake, but at least when remaking it, there were improvements to the game, as you would expect. Twin Snakes doesn't have that.

I enjoy it, but SC: PT is better seemingly.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:58
Regular
If I could have just one game out of the last 5 years of gaming I would probably go with Twin Snakes, closely followed by Deus Ex, Halo and the Resident Evil Cube remake.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:55
Regular
Don't tempt me!

I'm really trying to stop myself buying new games until I've completed all the ones that I own. It's proving tough :D
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:50
Regular
Yes I was very impressed by the demo. Can't see it topping Twin Snakes though, what a fooking game. Truly a great achievement with the new cut scenes and updated visual/audio presentation.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:48
Regular
Personally, I preferred MGS2 to the original Splinter Cell (though I'm yet to play it fully).

Splinter Cell 2, however, on first impressions, gives MGS2 a firm kicking.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:42
Regular
As for the beanz comment about mouse and keyboard with Splinter Cell, are you joking? Its the first PC game I have played that I truly have been put off by because of the lack of any control pad option. Most games do play better with mouse and keyboard but this? Not a chance, I struggled to get through both PC demos due to the frustrating nature of the keyboard layout for a game requiring so much careful handling and what not.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:39
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
And none of your MGS2 crap either.Because despite the hype, what was that game?" Check radar, wait, shoot and stuff in locker. Repeat" with endless cut scenes, fixed cameras and preachy moralising...

--------------------

Yet it still managed to be a far more complete game than the original Splinter Cell, not a bad achievement eh?

It was far from perfect with mind numbing repetitiveness in places and poor level design yet it was still FAR more entertaining and gripping than the majority of release at the time and still to this date and namingly the original Splinter Cell.
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:31
Regular
"tokyo police club"
You completed Splinter Cell in less than a day, without intensive play?

lies.

Unless I'm near the end now.

Which I hope I hope I aren't
Mon 05/04/04 at 22:23
Regular
"accidental superher"
bought it on saturday...completed it on sunday...wasn't really playing it that intensively either because i got far cry as well. i find it a lot easier to play on the pc using mouse and keyboard. though i'm not going to get into an argument with anyone about mouse/keyboard vs controller.
Mon 05/04/04 at 16:29
Regular
Splinter Cell 2: Pandora Tomorrow is excellent, but Deus Ex 2: Invisible War is still very good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.