GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow'.
Tue 30/03/04 at 03:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No idea what multiplayer is like, because I grew bored of that rubbish years ago on the PC, and playing against headset wearing kids really doesn't appeal.

However - the single player game is absolutely fantastic.
A definite improvement over the original in terms of graphics and certainly in gameplay.
Remember in the 1st how those poxy wall-lights, the tiny bulbs would take a few shots even though you were lined up perfecto? Not any more, even if you don't use the laser sight supplied.
The AI that meant gaurds on the other end of a level knew you had killed somebody way back and alarms went off? Nope.
Just good solid stealth action. And none of your MGS2 crap either.
Because despite the hype, what was that game?
"Check radar, wait, shoot and stuff in locker. Repeat" with endless cut scenes, fixed cameras and preachy moralising (although the politics of this game are slightly suspect to say the least...crush East Timoor Rebels? Er...)

There is much to be said for silently creeping along a darkened corridor, climbing onto a pipe and shimmying across, hanging from your feet and shooting a baddie upside down.

However, I've reached the Indonesia Jungle levels and...oh yes.
Amazing graphics, really puts you in the atmosphere with tall grass that bends and folds as you duck-walk through it, simply incredible. The mist and light effect would do Ridley Scott proud and there's something immensely satisfying about popping up, shooting somebody in the head and ducking back into the pampas grass before anybody knows what's what.
If you wanted MGS2 to be immersive stealth with the minutiae all in place and were left bored with another cut-scene as you walked through a door or simply grew weary of hiding in lockers for radars to go back to normal then pick up Splinter Cell 2.
It's worth it just for the jungle levels alone. Oh, and the train level. And Jeruselam is good fun.

Deus Ex 2 is a bit rubbish though, it has to be said.
Mon 05/04/04 at 01:06
Regular
so I started playing this properly today, and it's the mutts nuts. I had a fair crack at the old multiplayer, which I must say is pretty damn good, although has a steep early learning curve.

But the single player has blown me away. I had a grin on my face earlier as I was first clinging to the bottom of a speeding train, then clung to the side of it, nearly being pulled off by a passing trains slipstream. It really is the most gorgeous looking game I've ever seen, and I mean that 100%.

I finally got to the jungle level just now, and had a quick butchers at it before I switched off the xbox (10 hours or so is enough for today). The grass, plants and trees look spectacular. It's the first time I've ever seen these things realistically represented in a console/computer game.

What a grin inducing game. And Goaty - you'd be surprised just how much fun it is on multiplayer. Imagine the best elements of the single player game, mixed up with the alien vs predator style Merc side of the game, and you've got something special.

I must say it is unbelievably infuriating to have some smart alec get you in a choke hold, and break your neck, when you are running about in the dark.

Excellent stuff indeed.
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:38
Regular
"8==="
I have all those games, me and my brother used to take it in turns to see who could get the highest score.
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:15
Regular
Friendship, classic.
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:15
Regular
the ultimate trial and error games were those 'Dragons Lair' and 'Space Ace' things.

*watch 2 minutes of cartoons*
*press joystick left*
*die*
*press joystick up*
*die*
*press joystick down*
*watch 4 minutes of cartoons*

Tue 30/03/04 at 19:13
Regular
"8==="
I used to think that and it's mainly true, but on some games you can defeat a master of moves simply by timing your movements better than them.

But yeah they're pretty much memory games as are most trial and error type games, which you could class Splinter cell as (most games ARE trial and error though).
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:10
Regular
Hedfix wrote:

> Yep and beat 'em ups are just memory games. ;)

that is 100% true though. mortal kombat 2 was ridiculous, trying to remember all those moves, fatalities, friendships, babalities and pit fatalities.

compelling though.

"YOU WILL DIE, MORTAL"
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:08
Regular
"8==="
The sagacious one wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> That's what I thought about Halo. It was good, very good in-fact,
> but
> when it came down to it, it was simply a puzzle game. Use X weapon
> against X enemy, put X grenade there, go X direction. Tactical
> Tetris with explosions.
>
> Did you also realise that Project Gotham 2 is a mathematics
> simulation? If I drive around the track in less numbers than another
> car, I win.
>
> What's the point in that?

Yep and beat 'em ups are just memory games. ;)
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:07
Regular
"8==="
I haven't played the single player yet but I remember the reviewer at TeamXbox made a point that he'd compared how he'd approached situation in the game with another player and that they had done thing differently.

In the original there were many points where you could either sneak past guards or simply take them all on.

There is a fair amount of choice to be found.
Tue 30/03/04 at 17:57
"Darth Vader 3442321"
monkey_man wrote:
> That's what I thought about Halo. It was good, very good in-fact, but
> when it came down to it, it was simply a puzzle game. Use X weapon
> against X enemy, put X grenade there, go X direction. Tactical
> Tetris with explosions.

Did you also realise that Project Gotham 2 is a mathematics simulation? If I drive around the track in less numbers than another car, I win.

What's the point in that?
Tue 30/03/04 at 17:44
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
No I really enjoyed Halo - still do. Of course you generally had a direction to go, but overall, you were free to run around the battlefields and stuff and take cover - just a great shooter. With Splinter Cells 1 player though (both the first and new games), it just has a complete stranglehold on you, not just where you HAVE to go, but also the weapons and gadgets you have to use. Using your head to try and approach things differently usually ends up with you getting penalised. In some cases, it completely fails you and your thrown back to the last saved point, so its not long before you just give up trying to have fun and just follow the obvious ways in which your supposed to do it all.

I'm not having a go at the multiplayer cause that looks damn good - I just did the training for it and I'll be going on Live with my cousin on it tonight. But the 1 player really does need some work. The graphics are some of the best you'll see, the character is excellent, as are the gadgets. It all comes down to this trial and error gameplay. The traps are all cool, like trip wires and laser beams, etc. I just think things need to be more open with various ways of getting into places and taking people out. The bullets need to be worked on still - at least they sorted out the problem with shooting out the lights now, but I'm getting clear headshots on people and they just shrug it off and carry on like I just threw an empty coke can at them.
Basically, Ubisoft have to realise that players want to have fun - not be left like some lab chimp being shown the same thing over and over again till they get used to the routine of it and work out the right gadget to use to get through.

I've beaten the game, but with the exception of the train level, I really haven't enjoyed the gameplay. Like I said, graphics had me pointing and saying "wow !" and I think Sam Fisher is a great character. But the actual game has had me frustrated and swearing for the last few days. Not because its particularly challenging, its just annoying having to find the exact way your supposed to do everything.

At least I have the Live mode to enjoy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.