GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When Dringo snapped..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/04/04 at 10:15
Regular
Being a die-hard Nintendo fan is not easy you know. Every morning I get up, bow to my Gamecube, kiss all my joy pads and religiously study the manuals of all my Nintendo games (SNES. NES, N64, Gamecube and Gameboy). Every piece of negative news I spin into a positive light, I do it so well, Nintendo should hire me as their PR wizard.

But I’ve had enough. Nintendo you are one ******* stupid bloody piece of ****. That’s right it is I, the legendary Dringo, he who can not be slain by Playstation and starves off the threat of the X-box who is saying this you proud ******. What the hell are you playing at? I’m a WESTERN NINTENDO FAN, I don’t get all those ******* titles from Japan with the words Giftipia or Animal Forest printed on the side. And the ones I do get, Doshin the ******* Giant, turns out to be a pile of utter toss.

Every time I spin some negative news article into a positive light but why? Who’s the idiot now ah? You cut second party ties with a certain Left Field, Left Field (NBA courtside and Excitebike 64) are your sports developer; they make your sports games. But oh look you don’t REALLY need them now SEGA has gone multi-format with their sports range. So remove them, who cares. Oh well look at that, less than a year later and SEGA cancel all their sports titles for the Gamecube. WOOPS! Now whom can you turn to? That’s right NO ONE, I have noticed you are now making your own mature sports games (the upcoming Legend of Golfer) but it’s too late.

Ah yes Nintendo, now onto Rare Ware. My previous status was that “they’re crap anyway” and that “they lost Nintendo money”. ********, you ARE dumb aren’t you Nintendo? Want to know why they didn’t make you much money in the year before you sold them? Because they didn’t ACTUALLY release any bloody games! Rare Ware are an unresponsive developer but they were your other half, they are more than Silicon Knights, Left Field, HAL etc... put together. They made Banjo, Conker, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong and Perfect Dark… all of these are BIG Nintendo releases, well they would have been if you hadn’t ******* sold them! Look at this, your sales aren’t up to scratch! Could this be down to a certain absence of a company that made half your AAA titles? It nearly forced me away, but then that was okay, at least you have Retro Studios and Silicon Knights.

Oh Sympathy where have you gone.

First off you crush Retro Studio’s. A bit of a re-shuffle was needed, EAD’s help was appreciated on Metroid Prime. BUT did you really need to destroy the 4 teams that were there into 1? Raven Blade, that racer and that football game WAS exactly what Nintendo Gamecube lacks. A decent footy game, a decent exclusive racing title and a mature action RPG. But you cancelled them. Did you really have to scrap all those games?

And now modern day. The one that made me snap. I love Silicon Knights. True they are hardly a true example of Nintendo (prefer cinematic gameplay and adult games) but that was the point. Nintendo you’ve told me time and time again how you want to be more “adult” and Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes are YOUR most mature games. And you cut ties with the company behind them? Too Human can now return to the PS2, which it was originally coded for, and you’ve lost yet another special western developer.

I know Nintendo. You have loads of second parties, some I never even knew about including that new sports developer SETA (ever heard of them? No neither have I). But Rare, Silicon Knights, the full Retro team and Left Field could have all pushed Nintendo in both Europe and America. You would have defeated Microsoft and competed more fiercely. But instead you try to get exclusives from other companies that simply do not sell. Capcom are having to cancel their plans to keep Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 exclusive and cannot wait for the Resident Evil deal to expire. Namco are doing okay but that’s because they hardly support Nintendo as much as they support Sony. SEGA have been drifting away ever so slowly, remember the Virtual Fighter RPG and the sonic series were once exclusive to Nintendo. They are both now lost.

So tell me Nintendo, who do you have left to sell your product to the western world? You don’t have Rare, you don’t have Silicon Knights, you don’t have Left field. Christ you don’t even have Capcom anymore. And in fact you’ve even lost Dringo, your most avid supporter. Sure I love Zelda and Mario, but I’m a western gamer, I have western needs and the only western game you actually make is Metroid Prime, and I don’t even like it.

Maybe one day you’ll acquire some killer, high profile companies such as Capcom, Midway or Free Radical Design. But in the mean time I need to raise funds for an X-box. After all a western Nintendo fan needs his Rare.

Dringo.
Page:
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:32
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
This is all getting silly, but in the interests of balance my cube crashed 3 times last night playing Rebel Strike, and it's the only controller that has ever given me cause to stop playing through pain in my hand (F-Zero master mode).
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:34
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Crap controllers that break (only one rumble motor, no analouge
> action buttons, short cords, tacky A button, triggers that
> "Click" and break)

Gamecube controller is easily the best out of the lot. And if you break them, then you either have plates for hands, or you're some kind of spastic. Sorry, but it's true. And as for the wires issue... ever heard of the Wavebird?

> No Rare for gods sake - Best N64 games? Banjo, Mario, Conker,
> Goldeneye, PD, Zelda. Only two of which have a chance of going on
> Nintendo console again.

That's funny, because Banjo has already appeared on a Nintendo console since Rare left, and Goldeneye will be appearing on a Nintendo console (possibly two), just not made by the same developers. And because Conker's new game is going to be crud, and Perfect Dark isn't going to see the light of day for aat least another two years, if ever, then I really don't see what Nintendo are missing.

> No 3rd Party games. Wheres Fifa, Colin Mcrea, and Edios at all? I see
> SEGA leaving very slowly too...

Are you blind or something? FIFA always makes an appearence on both Gameucbe and GBA, while Eidos have brought a number of games, including Hitman, to the Gamecube. They may not now be releasing their games on the console, but they've left us with some good memories. And SEGA leaving very slowly as well? I'm sorry, but all I can say about that point is that it is retarded. SEGA support the Gamecube far more than they support the Xbox and PS2. If you were sad enough to count, I'm sure you'd find more SEGA games on the Gamecube than on either the PS2 or Xbox.

> Buggy - My Cube consistantly crashes and breaks. Iv replacfed it, and
> the same happens again.

My Gamecube has never crashed, so either you're talking balls, you're very unlucky, or you sit on your Gamecube inadvertantly.

> Mario Sunshine was crap. Zelda was very crap. There, iv said it.
> Metroid has no multiplayer.

Heh, you've obviously never played either of them. Mario Sunshine was a fantastic experience, and it emphasised all things Nintendo brilliantly. Zelda, meanwhile, excelled in about every department there is... visually stunning, with a fantastic plotline, which was exciting as well. Never a dull moment. How you can call the best game on the Gamecube crap, I really do not know. And Metroid Prime doesn't need a multiplayer: it's brilliant enough as it is.

> SELL YOUR GC WHILE ITS STILL WORTH SOMTHING. And with the £30
> you get for it, but a Dreamcast from the second hand store, now THATS
> a console.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but it's a console that failed. Gamecube hasn't failed, so you're making a really pointless comparison there.
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Not once has one thing about the GC impressed me and made me think
> "Wow! Nintnedo are amazing!" like the N64, SNES and NES
> did. Its just dissapointment, after dissapointment.

Now that I do agree with. In no way am I calling the GC a bad console, but it has been very underwhelming for me. It has not agitated the excitement in me that all of Nintendo's previous consoles have. It's had it's moments, playing Mario Sunshine was incredible... for about 10 hours. Then it got dull. Same with Mario Kart, great little game just too short. The problem for me is not that the GC hasn't delivered, it just hasn't delivered enough.

On the developer issue, I would just like to point out that Nintendo hasn't actuall let Silicon Knights "go", it's just withdrawn it's 2nd part status. It will continue to devleop for and release games on the GC, but they just aren't an exclusive devleoper any more.

I'll be done with my Cube once I own Paper Mario 2.
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:59
Regular
I thought you were going?

TGMbloke wrote:

> Mayby I have been exceedingly unlucky then, but I keep all my disc in
> extreemly good condition, as with the Cube, but the damn thing is
> unplayable in most games! Crashes, after crashes, usually when
> saving, messing up the file, doubly annoying!

As I said, drool and consoles don't mix.

> And the controllers...Oh dear. Iv had so many, the
> "clickers" in the triggers just "pop" quite
> simply and no longer work.

Tard hands, I knew it.

>
> As for the GBA link up - would you rather pay £20 for a VMU or
> £99 for an SP for a few silly little extras? My point exactly.

If you think the GBA ois just bought to be a link-up then you're stupider than I thought.

> The Cube is a disater. I expected an N64 with better graphics. Mayby
> Rare have started on a rocky start, so, they did on the N64. Blast
> Corps.

Cube hasn't impressed me as much as N64, but it's far from a disaster. Oh and Blast Corps was a damn could game, Grabbed by the Ghoulies is about as entertaining as catching piles.

> Mario
> Sunshine was crap, come on. Mario 64 was so well constructed.
> Penguine races, collecting hats....Its a miricle, even when played
> back today. Mario Sunshine consists of cleaning up crud off a beach.

If you really think all Sunshine was, was cleanining crud off a beach, you clearly didn't even play it. There was a hell of a lot more variety in Sunshine than there ever was in 64.

> Boring. As for Zelda, what where they on? Zeldas a mature game with
> long story lines and gameplay that challenges the brain. Maybe they
> decided they wanted to do the complete opposite for this one. Short,
> easy, kiddie. And yes I played the whole thing.

Short easy and kiddie?

Seriously dude, just f**k off and stop filling these pages with your crap.

>
> Maymy its where I was expecting so, so, so much. But im glad I never
> spent a penny on it, and my brother did. For I "settled"
> with an XBOX which quite frankly, forfills the criteria I ironically
> set Nintendo.

I enjoy my Xbox, but it's far from perfect. Single player games really don't make the mark, Microsoft seems to be putting all its eggs in one basket with Live. If I didn't have broadband I would seriously be questioning the worth of my Xbox.

And if Rare get their act together, and the PSP takes
> off I fear a once legendary company may go bye bye.

If Rare get their act together then we can expect a good game maybe every....2 years?
Wed 14/04/04 at 14:03
Regular
Oh and another thing, my Xbox constantly crashes when I'm on Live. It's the one console that really has given me a lot of trouble, I've had to replace my Rainbow Six 3 disk because it's been scratched to pieces by the drive. It's not that I don't look after my games, but I constantly get 'disk may be dirty or scratched messages' when there's nothing even wrong with the sodding thing.

The Xbox drive really is rubbish.
Wed 14/04/04 at 14:15
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I doubt any Nintendo fan (over the age of 10) can really be too happy with what's been going on [all that you mentioned], and the loss of Silicon Knights is like the final kick in the teeth.

I mean, as great as their own games are, a new Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong game every 18-months - if, even, we're that lucky! - along with what's left of the third-party support (Eurgh, FIFA!)... It's still not merely enough to keep us away from the temptation's of at least a second-hand X-BOX!

Then again, this is Nintendo always trying to be different.
I mean, what if we did have all those games; the top-class footy-sim, an exclusive, realistic racer and another great RPG-Adventure; what would the GameCube be?

....A PS.2?!? :o :S
Wed 14/04/04 at 15:07
Regular
You really can't be keaping your games and Cube in good condition if you're having so many problems and your controllers break so easily. Like I said, I've got over 50 games and never had a problem, and all 5 of my controllers work perfectly.

If you think Sunshine and Zelda are crap, don't play them. I doubt you'll find anything as good on the XBox offline, and even online the XBox can't match the brilliance of Metroid Prime. The XBox is a great console and a perfect introduction into the gaming world for Microsoft, but I still feel that Nintendo have done very well with the Cube; AAA title after AAA title, it's kept going, depsite their stupid, stupid decisions, and remains the best of the 3 for pure multiplayer fun and epic 1 player.

You really seem to be making your argument up.
Wed 14/04/04 at 15:36
Regular
It was going to happen sooner or later. :-)

Because I wasn't so rigidly aligned with Nintendo, I didn't so much snap as slowly bend round to the this view.

It's not that Nintendo are bad, it's just they're not "all that" anymore.
It would be unfair to say that they hadn't impressed me at all.
Pikmin and Mario Sunshine did briefly blow me away before I realised that they were over before they even started. :-D

But yeah, back in the days of the N64 they had it all.

Their games were the best in EVERY way.
Best technology, best graphics, best gameplay, best story, best control, best eevrything. The limit's were the N64's and not Rare or Nintendo's.
Nintendo seem to be closing in on themselves, practically alienating the western market, especially when they snub such successful franchises such as GTA.

And when Nintendo sold Rare, Rare hadn't had any major releases in a while because they were working on next gen projects, which all had to be cut or turned over because of this sell out.
I reckon that if Nintendo hadn't sold, we'd atleast have Kameo and Dk Racing by now.

Starfox was dire but that was almost purely down to the painful tedious combat system (tap A until the enemy has the decency to stop blocking). Anything else wrong tended to be nity picky details which wouldn't have mattered otherwise.

Grabbed by the Goulies looks like a warm up, Rare's getting used to the Xbox hardware. It guess we'll have to see Kameo to judge whether they truly still have it.

Don't get me wrong. Nintendo are still unmatched in their own style of game. MS and Sony will never see anything as special as Smash Brothers or Pikmin on their systems, and their adventure games still seem clumsy compared to the sleekness of Mario and Zelda, it's just if you stick with Nintendo exclusively then you miss out on the cream of western gaming.

So yeah, you need an Xbox AND a Gamecube to get the best from gaming...

unless.....

MS conquering the west, Nintendo the east... think about it...
Nintendo have been courting every single eastern develloper for ages now and slowly letting their western ones slip away.
Perhaps they want Rare and Silicon to get the hang of online gaming for next time...

The DS sounds like it'll be a game machine + notebook 2 in one...
Who'd provide the operating system for notebooks?

Imagine. :-)
Wed 14/04/04 at 15:58
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:

> As for the GBA link up - would you rather pay £20 for a VMU or
> £99 for an SP for a few silly little extras? My point exactly.

The VMU had short downloadable games, they were not part of the game itself... Play Pacman Vs or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, to compare the GBA-GC connection to the simplistic yet nice VMU idea is plan stupidity.

> The Cube is a disater. I expected an N64 with better graphics. Mayby
> Rare have started on a rocky start, so, they did on the N64. Blast
> Corps.

Blast Corps ruled. Rare are slipping a bit, they still have their fan base and are still great... but they don't really offer as much as the used to. Regardless i still miss them terribly.

> Mayby they will never get better - who cares, it still means they

Zeldas a mature game with
> long story lines and gameplay that challenges the brain. Maybe they
> decided they wanted to do the complete opposite for this one. Short,
> easy, kiddie. And yes I played the whole thing.

Mario Sunshine was covered better elsewhere but I now want to kill you for insulting the finest Zelda game to date. Sure their was a lacking storyline... but the game was so definitivly beautiful, so incredibly fluid... the game almost slid through your hands.... utterly wonderful just like every Zelda title.

And if Rare get their act together, and the PSP takes
> off I fear a once legendary company may go bye bye.

Look I'll say it again. The PSP is selling itself to the adult market, the price point and the extra functions prove this. Now tell me besides us "hardcore" gamers how many casual adult gamers will buy a handheld system? The failure of the N-Gage proved adults don't want it. Nokia offered mobile phone capabilities, MP3 player as well as games and Nokia is a brand the casual gamers love. But it didn't take off, not even a little bit, the design flaws and the fact they are selling a product to an uninterested market caused it to fail. Somehow sony think they can make a game device work with a CD... what without it being jogged even slightly? Battery power totally destroyed and lookin at the specs that looks increasingly likely. I don't play my Gameboy outside, I buy it because I like Nintendo games but not because I want to go on the train to play it... I mean ask me what I'd choose out of a handheld console and a home console the answer is the same to the mass market. And more to the point if the PSP is selling itself to the adult hardcore market then tell me this... will it even beat the Nintendo DS?
Wed 14/04/04 at 16:19
Regular
"thursdayton!"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Crap controllers that break (only one rumble motor, no analouge
> action buttons, short cords, tacky A button, triggers that
> "Click" and break)

Short cords? Never worried me at all. If you're bothered, buy a wavebird. What the hell are you doing to break your controller? I've got four and never had any problems, and no one I know has ever had any problems. They're pretty indestructable short of taking a sledge-hammer to one. You must be pretty damn stupid to break one -- oh, wait, are you blind, is that it?

> No Rare for gods sake - Best N64 games? Banjo, Mario, Conker,
> Goldeneye, PD, Zelda. Only two of which have a chance of going on
> Nintendo console again.

Sorry to be petty, but by the time Goldeneye 2 comes out, all but 2 will have been on Nintendo consoles again. Mario and Zelda of course, Goldeneye 2 by EA, and Conker on GBA :P

> No online

Wrong. How sadly mis-informed you are.

> but ohh....a pretty GBA lead. As soon as PSP comes out im
> afriad that wont be an exclusive feature anymore, and Sony will sell
> it quicker than a Walkman and Playstation 2 combo. Oh - wait. Thats
> what it is.

Which is exactly why it won't sell.

> No 3rd Party games. Wheres Fifa, Colin Mcrea, and Edios at all? I see
> SEGA leaving very slowly too...

There are two Fifa games on Gamecube right now, Colin McRae was nothing to be fussed about, Eidos have published the sublime TimeSplitters 2, there are plenty of 3rd Party games, and SEGA still have many titles in development for Nintendo, eg. Super Monkey Ball 3, Virtua Fighter, Sonic Mega Collection 2..

> Buggy - My Cube consistantly crashes and breaks. Iv replacfed it, and
> the same happens again.

I've had my Cube crash three times since I got it, all on Rogue Leader, and all in the first two months of getting it. Either you are just very unlucky, or you're doing the same retarded spacky thing you do to your controllers to break them.

> Mario Sunshine was crap. Zelda was very crap. There, iv said it.
> Metroid has no multiplayer.

Wrong and wrong, both were really good games. Ok, not better than Mario 64 and OOT, but with the intelligence you've shown I have no problem in understanding your lack of appreciation for these AAA class titles.

Oh, and Dringo, sounds like you're aiming to buy an Xbox just for a failing company riddled with internal problems which haven't made a decent game in years.. Stick with Nintendo, they may sometimes be assholes, but they're certainly assholes who make good games.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.