GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm thinking of buying a GameCube...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/04/04 at 20:25
...and I was wondering if you lot can answer some of my questions.

Which two games would you consider the best ones on the console?

Are the non-Nintendo peripherals unreliable?

Any ideas where I can find a good deal? In Argos of all places I saw a GameCube plus an extra non-Nintendo Controller and memory card, plus Mario Kart Double Dash and Zelda for £99.99.

Any good? Or can I get better?
Sat 17/04/04 at 16:46
Danke. Looks good then.
Sat 17/04/04 at 17:07
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Rickoss wrote:
> Cheating gits.

Indeed, on the last straight I always get bombarded by Lightning, Blue/Red and mysteriously accurate Green Shells, or COM players get mysterious speed boosts from no where.

Still.. livens it up a bit. :)
Sat 17/04/04 at 17:57
Regular
"8==="
Gladius and Conflict: Desert Storm.
Sat 17/04/04 at 18:00
Regular
"Plate of glue"
Good games to start off with are Sonic DX and Mario Sunshine.
Sat 17/04/04 at 18:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Sonic games = nono.
Sat 17/04/04 at 18:10
Regular
"8==="
I am not a fan of the blue hairball.
Sat 17/04/04 at 21:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
down wrote:
> This question is for owners of both PS2s and GameCubes. I've never
> really liked FPSs on the Playstation controller, as compared to the
> computers intuitive control system they tend to be confusing and
> difficult to get into. So, is the Metroid Prime system any better?

Metroid Prime is a fantastic game, and controller-wise, it uses the controller pretty much perfectly. I agree with you in your suggestion that PS2 pads take out some of the enjoyment from FPS games, and right now I can say that the Gamecube controller is a lot more suited to games like TimeSplitters 2 and Metroid Prime.

> And, this shows how ignorant I am, I never realised GameCube has
> platinum titles! Apart from Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine and Zelda
> (which will probably be my first purchase) which other titles are
> Platinum?

Pikmin, which is an excellent if short title. It has replay value, though, so it could be a good buy if you're into strategy games. Luigi's Mansion is also on the platinum range, and although it's also relatively short, it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I think you can find Wave Race: Blue Storm and Super Monkey Ball on the platinum range as well. Maybe not Monkey Ball, but then it'll be cheap anyway as it was a launch game. Wave Race is an interesting racer: not as fast and exciting as games like Mario Kart or F-Zero GX, but still fun nonetheless. And Super Monkey Ball is genius. Well worth the £15 you'd spend on it.

> I just went on play.com and discovered Resident Evil 0 for £10.
> Any good?

That's a very good price. Although Resident Evil 0 might not be as good as the original Resi, it's still pretty spooky and violent, and that's a damn good price.
Sat 17/04/04 at 22:08
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The Metroid Control system is hated by FPS purists, because they all think that Metroid is an FPS. It is, but not in the traditional sense, and the control system reflects this. Once you get used to it, you should be fine, and if you find the two stick system on the PS2 too confusing then Metroid's control system is just for you.

Hitman 2 is a pretty excellent purchase as well, and far superior to the PS2 version, only because of the controls.
Sun 18/04/04 at 14:21
What's Resi Evil like? Is it like the old PSX ones, with static backgrounds and annoying cameras?
Sun 18/04/04 at 14:26
Regular
The static backgrounds are there, but I don't know whether they've kept exactly the same camera angles. However, I find that the way it's done adds a whole lot more to the tension and atmosphere.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.