GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dringo's theory on the real future of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/04/04 at 00:52
Regular
Remember when we all start out on the forums. We sat there and go "the future of gaming are VR machines". Yeah.... errr no. We know full well that they are just so many many many years away. Even after our life time perhaps.

But Nintendo knew the future is in trouble. Games machines are forever technically going forward. But not for much longer. Games are becoming more photo-realistic, even today's X-box, PS2 and Gamecube are possibly good enough. But the PS3, Xenon and N5 truly will be the final nail in console progressions coffin. So what next?

Well although consoles will struggle to go forward, that isn't strictly the case for handheld gaming.

That's when Sony went, "s**t, Nintendo can actually win this thing!"

You see after the N5 Nintendo can rest on the Gameboy. A franchise that can at last display as good graphics as home formats. The N-Gage and up-coming PSP prove it. With a small connection to the TV and you have a home console/handheld combo. Multiplayer will almost be totally done by online play... Gaming as we know it has changed.

So Sony have to enter the handheld market. Start to knock away some of Nintendo's monopoly. After all there is no guarentee Sony can beat Nintendo again. After all they are ready this time. But have Sony got it wrong?

The PSP is a brilliant piece of kit, MP3 player and video player combo. Genius idea. Plus the £200 price point proves this is an expensive gadget for the adults. Now tell me people, how many adults do you see with Gameboys?

According to Nintendo, with their new plan to see Gameboy to adults (with the SP), a few more than before. But Nintendo will still admitt, the Gameboy sells to children and hardcore gamers. Adults are few and far between. But Sony are different, for starters Playstation is a multi-million selling brand and all these extras are sure to tickle adult gamers fancy. A bit like Nokia, I mean with their brand name and a load of cool extras they would sure make a million selling handheld system...

Oh wait.

Well I'm sure with CD lasers and in built memory to store game data and MP3 abilities will not damage battery life at all. Well maybe, not that it matters I mean battery life doesn't affect the success of a handheld console at all. Just ask SEGA. Oh wait. Well that doesn't matter, it looks so cool with top graphics. They'll get a head start over Nintendo for sure, I mean it's not as if Nintendo plan to launch a handheld system just before the PSP. Oh wait. Well come on, Nintendo haven't learnt anything, I mean the SNES was just as popular as the GAmeboy franchise. Oh wait.

Yes from my standpoint I'm supposed to see it like this. But I'm also a casual consumer, despite the PSP looking hotter than Elisha Cutherbert I can't see a flock of eager people to buy this £200 handheld system. Not even I'd go for it, It's like those PALM computer thingy's, damn they are cool... but there is no way I'd ever get one.

Nintendo are not as stupid as they look. As the Gameboy starts to flag they buy into Pokemon and release a colour edition. Moments before Pokemon started to slide the GBA was launched. As Children became the main consumer of the product Nintendo released an adult edition. The SP. More expensive but damn cooler. Come the PSP launch the SP will suffer a long overdue but very good price cut. The PSP will be facing off against the words most popular console, both the adult SP and the normal childrens edition... at a fraction of the PSP's price.

Not to mention the fact that Nintendo are also getting a head start over the PSP with their own new fangled hand held device the DS. The DS could fail, but the idea could be cool enough to win over gamers hearts.

Sony are not going to walk over Nintendo this time. Nintendo are making sure of it. With a war going on between the DS and PSP for advertisement space you know the GBA will quietly move on by as the biggest selling system still. You just know, like Atari, like SEGA, Like Nokia... Sony could well be the next victim to the handheld massacure. Sure unlike those 3 Sony are a bigger threat. But, Nintendo are actually putting together a defence system this time... they've never done that before.

If the PSP falls will that be the end of the fear that Nintendo will falter? Yes. Nintendo will continue with their handheld dominance, and when and if they are finally forced out of the home console market... the power between the 2 divisions will be so minute... none of us will care.

Dringo - fanboy till the end.
Mon 19/04/04 at 00:52
Regular
Remember when we all start out on the forums. We sat there and go "the future of gaming are VR machines". Yeah.... errr no. We know full well that they are just so many many many years away. Even after our life time perhaps.

But Nintendo knew the future is in trouble. Games machines are forever technically going forward. But not for much longer. Games are becoming more photo-realistic, even today's X-box, PS2 and Gamecube are possibly good enough. But the PS3, Xenon and N5 truly will be the final nail in console progressions coffin. So what next?

Well although consoles will struggle to go forward, that isn't strictly the case for handheld gaming.

That's when Sony went, "s**t, Nintendo can actually win this thing!"

You see after the N5 Nintendo can rest on the Gameboy. A franchise that can at last display as good graphics as home formats. The N-Gage and up-coming PSP prove it. With a small connection to the TV and you have a home console/handheld combo. Multiplayer will almost be totally done by online play... Gaming as we know it has changed.

So Sony have to enter the handheld market. Start to knock away some of Nintendo's monopoly. After all there is no guarentee Sony can beat Nintendo again. After all they are ready this time. But have Sony got it wrong?

The PSP is a brilliant piece of kit, MP3 player and video player combo. Genius idea. Plus the £200 price point proves this is an expensive gadget for the adults. Now tell me people, how many adults do you see with Gameboys?

According to Nintendo, with their new plan to see Gameboy to adults (with the SP), a few more than before. But Nintendo will still admitt, the Gameboy sells to children and hardcore gamers. Adults are few and far between. But Sony are different, for starters Playstation is a multi-million selling brand and all these extras are sure to tickle adult gamers fancy. A bit like Nokia, I mean with their brand name and a load of cool extras they would sure make a million selling handheld system...

Oh wait.

Well I'm sure with CD lasers and in built memory to store game data and MP3 abilities will not damage battery life at all. Well maybe, not that it matters I mean battery life doesn't affect the success of a handheld console at all. Just ask SEGA. Oh wait. Well that doesn't matter, it looks so cool with top graphics. They'll get a head start over Nintendo for sure, I mean it's not as if Nintendo plan to launch a handheld system just before the PSP. Oh wait. Well come on, Nintendo haven't learnt anything, I mean the SNES was just as popular as the GAmeboy franchise. Oh wait.

Yes from my standpoint I'm supposed to see it like this. But I'm also a casual consumer, despite the PSP looking hotter than Elisha Cutherbert I can't see a flock of eager people to buy this £200 handheld system. Not even I'd go for it, It's like those PALM computer thingy's, damn they are cool... but there is no way I'd ever get one.

Nintendo are not as stupid as they look. As the Gameboy starts to flag they buy into Pokemon and release a colour edition. Moments before Pokemon started to slide the GBA was launched. As Children became the main consumer of the product Nintendo released an adult edition. The SP. More expensive but damn cooler. Come the PSP launch the SP will suffer a long overdue but very good price cut. The PSP will be facing off against the words most popular console, both the adult SP and the normal childrens edition... at a fraction of the PSP's price.

Not to mention the fact that Nintendo are also getting a head start over the PSP with their own new fangled hand held device the DS. The DS could fail, but the idea could be cool enough to win over gamers hearts.

Sony are not going to walk over Nintendo this time. Nintendo are making sure of it. With a war going on between the DS and PSP for advertisement space you know the GBA will quietly move on by as the biggest selling system still. You just know, like Atari, like SEGA, Like Nokia... Sony could well be the next victim to the handheld massacure. Sure unlike those 3 Sony are a bigger threat. But, Nintendo are actually putting together a defence system this time... they've never done that before.

If the PSP falls will that be the end of the fear that Nintendo will falter? Yes. Nintendo will continue with their handheld dominance, and when and if they are finally forced out of the home console market... the power between the 2 divisions will be so minute... none of us will care.

Dringo - fanboy till the end.
Mon 19/04/04 at 01:14
Regular
Nintendo stand a good chance this time round, but they need to pull out ALL the stops.

I think they'll keep the eastern market wrapped up, but the western market?
I don't think they'll be wiped out from it, but if they want to dominate then Wireless Goldeneye.

No other way. :-)
Mon 19/04/04 at 12:20
Regular
I don't think Nintendo can afford to disregard the PSP just yet. Before the release of the N64, I doubt anyone thought that Sony would emerge the winner against a super power like the N64, but it happened and there's nothign to say it won't happen again.
Mon 19/04/04 at 12:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I can't see anyone really buying the PSP at £200. And the reason is thus:

If you are going to spend £200 on a games console, you want to feel like you're getting the best that you can. Despite what we all say, no one actually plays gameboys on public transport, and the only time when people are playing gameboys and aren't in houses is when they're being driven around by their parents.
For £200 I would want the best gaming system that I could get, and the PSP isn't better than the PS2, Gamecube, or Xbox.

Handheld consoles are small, everyone knows, or thinks that they know, that the games aren't as good - I mean "they can't be - it's not as powerful" they think. Even if they are wrong (Zelda A Link To The Past ,Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Mario etc etc), we all know that the average casual gamer is a stupid mule, and is as stubborn as one as well.
If you want to sell a handheld console it has to be cheap, thats the only way that people can justify buying an inferior console (in their eyes) - if it's cheaper. People don't buy phones because they have good games on them - they buy them because they want phones. This is why the N-Gage will fail, and has failed.

The only way that I can see the PSP working is if it comes in at sub-£100. Which I bet it won't.

And anyone who says something like "imagine 4 player Perfect Dark on the bus" is stupid and ignorant, because
a) you'll never be on a bus with someone else who has a Gameboy TURNED ON and WITH THE SAME GAME as you, who WANTS TO PLAY, unless you're in Japan.
and b) you would have to be stupid to play your gameboy / take your gameboy on a bus, because most likely it will get stolen

and you can replace the word bus with 'train home', or 'while waiting for the train', or anything stupid like that.
Mon 19/04/04 at 13:43
Regular
"Plate of glue"
The PSP will cost more than The PS2, X - Box, Gamecube and the GBA. Who is really going to by one that costs that much?
Nintendo are selling games and consoles at budget prices this is good. This should mean the DS will out sell the PSP if and only if they keep it budget.
Mon 19/04/04 at 15:42
Regular
DS is rumoured to be just over £100... The PSP was orginally £300 and has dropped to around £200.

The GBA of course will be around £50 at the release of both systems.

I'm not saying Nintendo don't need to be ready... the point of this post is that Sony won't have an easy time and oh look... Nintendo ARE ready.
Mon 19/04/04 at 15:47
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Nintendo are ready? Sony have already shown footage of a PSP game, where is the Nintendo equivalent?
Mon 19/04/04 at 15:49
Regular
Methinks Nintendo are waiting until E3. That's gonna be one hell of a show.
Mon 19/04/04 at 15:55
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> Nintendo are ready? Sony have already shown footage of a PSP game,
> where is the Nintendo equivalent?

Sony showed a bit of information at a small press conference.

Nintendo show it at the worlds biggest games show and gets maximum coverage.

Nintendo releasing a console early.

Nintendo already have the biggest selling system on the market.

Nintendo plan an advertisement campaign for both GBA and DS.
Mon 19/04/04 at 16:38
Regular
I know I will get a PSP providing a Metal Gear game heads that way or some decent RPG's.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.