GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Treatment of newbies. Again."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 12:08
Regular
Last night I went on a rampage on the fog, attacking some newbies because I expected more from their writings, a few minutes later, I flipped the coin, and started to help one newbie how to write decent topics.

So here is my suggestion.

In the period of time that a person is a newbie, this person is expected to LEARN how to write correctly, to make interesting topics, and not to bore us to death with console wars topics.

However. Once this person reaches the regular status, if they still continue to make useless topics and bad posts, I have nothing against attacking them. We should not expect newbies to learn so quickly, but we should not expect regulars to get away with rubbish topics.

I am, including notables in when I say regulars.

I would also like to suggest that anyone who does attack newbies instead of helping them from now on is banned from the forums. Yes, this goes for everyone too.

So, all in all:

Newbies shall be helped to reach the correct path of writing, by giving them constructive critism, and trying to help them become better writers.

Only when they reach regular status will they be expected to make good topics. THIS GOES FOR ALL REGULARS/NOTABLES WHO ARE ALREADY SO AS WELL.

If regulars/notables are found to be bullying newbies they shall be banned.

I hope that these rules can be enforced. If you believe these rules should be enforced, please state so below. If not, state, and give reasons.
Sun 22/07/01 at 14:46
I agree with the rules in theory, but I'm not sure about them beign enforced to the point of chucking people off the forums.

Would it not be better to have these rules be applied in the way that not talking in net speak is applied.
There are bound to be mis-haps, but they can be sorted by nice regulars and notables.

Newbie bashing is not like fox hunting.
Sun 22/07/01 at 14:38
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Excuse the type faults... my keyboard is sick!

~ Game
Sun 22/07/01 at 14:34
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't think these rules should be enforced.

Simple because it would take all meaning of fun out of the forums.

No matter how much he or he wants these forums to be a 100% discussion board that won't be the case. I know a lot of people are here to win games, some to have discussions and others just to chat to like-minded people.

We can't go round enforcing a load of rules like this. There may not be many, but if You, Grix want these rules to be enforced and they are, what is to stop Any or Sniper coming along and saying:

"I am of the same status, here are my rules, enforce them!"

Okay, i'm not saying we shouldn't help newbies but if one comes along and starts mouthing of to someone like Goatboy or Wookiee do you really think that a set of rules will stop them giving the newbie a roasting? Hell No!

There are different types on Newbie. Some who try, but don't understand not to use net-speak, and others who write loads of abuse and try to make themselves famous through insults and profanity.

These rules you suggest won't work. They don't accommodate all types on Newbie.

I say WE re-think them.....
Sun 22/07/01 at 14:19
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I hereby lodge a formal complaint against the use of the term 'newbie'. I have been informed that the preferred term is 'sojournally regulars'
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:33
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
I think all newbies are entitled to make 1 console wars topic, it will always be quickly forgoten. No-one has any excuse to make more than 1. If you do expect people to point out that you are missing the apropriate parts of the brain which enable you to make intelligent conversation. etc
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:16
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Thank you Stick, that means a lot to me.

Your welcome. Sorry if I gave you the impression that I was bullying you earlier, i was just simply trying to express my opinion.

I wrote this message on the Spam thread aswell but i thought that i should also write it here in case you didn't see the last one.
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:16
Regular
What!

I was just wondering how many votes a top poster like "Grix" needs to become the top poster. Like you "Stick" I also show alot of respect for "Grix" and was just intertested in his amount of votes, that I think was probably a very large number.

Gyes back of me, what did I do wrong. How did I become "Public Enemy No1" around here?
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:10
Regular
Thank you Stick, that means a lot to me.
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:05
CJC wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> Neither could I. But I kept writing, and
> now I can. Marvellous.

How many peolpe voted for you to become
> a notable!?

Hey mate back off Grix, he's only backing up his point. He said in his topic that he thinks people should lay off newbies like us. I have a lot of respect for Grix, he is the top poster on the site. I think that he deserves to be a notable, and if he wasn't he could count on my vote. : )
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:03
Regular
how many is enough?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.