GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Treatment of newbies. Again."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 12:08
Regular
Last night I went on a rampage on the fog, attacking some newbies because I expected more from their writings, a few minutes later, I flipped the coin, and started to help one newbie how to write decent topics.

So here is my suggestion.

In the period of time that a person is a newbie, this person is expected to LEARN how to write correctly, to make interesting topics, and not to bore us to death with console wars topics.

However. Once this person reaches the regular status, if they still continue to make useless topics and bad posts, I have nothing against attacking them. We should not expect newbies to learn so quickly, but we should not expect regulars to get away with rubbish topics.

I am, including notables in when I say regulars.

I would also like to suggest that anyone who does attack newbies instead of helping them from now on is banned from the forums. Yes, this goes for everyone too.

So, all in all:

Newbies shall be helped to reach the correct path of writing, by giving them constructive critism, and trying to help them become better writers.

Only when they reach regular status will they be expected to make good topics. THIS GOES FOR ALL REGULARS/NOTABLES WHO ARE ALREADY SO AS WELL.

If regulars/notables are found to be bullying newbies they shall be banned.

I hope that these rules can be enforced. If you believe these rules should be enforced, please state so below. If not, state, and give reasons.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:08
Regular
Last night I went on a rampage on the fog, attacking some newbies because I expected more from their writings, a few minutes later, I flipped the coin, and started to help one newbie how to write decent topics.

So here is my suggestion.

In the period of time that a person is a newbie, this person is expected to LEARN how to write correctly, to make interesting topics, and not to bore us to death with console wars topics.

However. Once this person reaches the regular status, if they still continue to make useless topics and bad posts, I have nothing against attacking them. We should not expect newbies to learn so quickly, but we should not expect regulars to get away with rubbish topics.

I am, including notables in when I say regulars.

I would also like to suggest that anyone who does attack newbies instead of helping them from now on is banned from the forums. Yes, this goes for everyone too.

So, all in all:

Newbies shall be helped to reach the correct path of writing, by giving them constructive critism, and trying to help them become better writers.

Only when they reach regular status will they be expected to make good topics. THIS GOES FOR ALL REGULARS/NOTABLES WHO ARE ALREADY SO AS WELL.

If regulars/notables are found to be bullying newbies they shall be banned.

I hope that these rules can be enforced. If you believe these rules should be enforced, please state so below. If not, state, and give reasons.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:15
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Grix, as half notable/half newbie I have both sides of the coin, before I changed my name to er-yes I was actually trying a little experiment and in some topics I was asked to leave?? They didn't know I was er-no but still because I was a newbie I was asked to leave because I was ruining the topic. I think it was : 'Go away you newbie scum'

I can see an upside to your suggestion and rules and a downside, I always try and help newbies, apart from ones that once you have helped think you are mocking them and continue to have bad SPAG.

Firstly, it depends on the newbie, secondly it depends on the regular.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:17
I agree.
It's not nice having a label because of you SR Status.

Darkreaper
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:18
Regular
At the moment, more is expected of newbies than that is expected of regulars! It's pathetic how a newbie can be attacked for making rubbish topics, and regulars aren't. It should be the other way around.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:19
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Grix Thraves wrote:
> At the moment, more is expected of newbies than that is expected of
> regulars! It's pathetic how a newbie can be attacked for making
> rubbish topics, and regulars aren't. It should be the other way
> around.

Shaneo actually managed to annoy me today, with those two topics in the Prime Topics forum... and there have been many others, its ok when its funny and about games....
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:20
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Sorry about this post Grix as its in this topic, but what are the dates of SpaceWorld?

Thanks.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:21
Regular
I have nothing against funny. It's boring and pathetic I hate.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:21
Regular
I'll have a look now.
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:24
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> At the moment, more is expected of newbies than that is expected of
> regulars! It's pathetic how a newbie can be attacked for making
> rubbish topics, and regulars aren't. It should be the other way
> around.

i agree totally, this is the one major flow of the status idea. There are a few regulars who are virtually just newbies who've spammed enough to get a different colour name. Many newbies are more intelligent than some regulars.

Down with Newbie Prejustice
Sat 21/07/01 at 12:25
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I have nothing against funny. It's boring and pathetic I hate.

Well some people just can't help that Grix, I mean its not my fault!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.