GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Greetings Fellow Gamers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/04/04 at 13:10
Regular
"Horny Man!"
Hi there!

I've avoided buying a games machine for a long time due to various commitments, but I'm now in a position to join the gaming community. I'm going to get myself a PS2 and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

There seem to be many deals out there, but where's the best place for me to buy my console? Also, what do I need to get myself started? And finally, what games do people recommend for a beginner? I'm into football in a big way and I've been told PES3 is the best one to go for - do you agree? Also can anyone recommend good sports and driving games as these have been the kind of games I've enjoyed playing on my freind's consoles. Oh, and any good shoot-em-up games?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
El Horno
Thu 29/04/04 at 15:51
Regular
El Horno wrote:

> Thanks (Diolch yn fawr)
> El Horno

Hey, another person from Wales! Croeso y forums*!

*I think
Thu 29/04/04 at 13:37
Regular
"Horny Man!"
Thank you all for your help.
I appreciate it.

I'll come back to visit you all from time to time and let you know how I'm getting on. No doubt I'll be wanting some tips before long anyway....

Thanks (Diolch yn fawr)
El Horno
Thu 29/04/04 at 13:08
"I love yo... lamp."
El Horno: Sorry if you didn't quite get the responses you thought you would. A lot of people on the forums own more than one, sometimes all the consoles on the market. Bullett, Mav and myself certainly do.

If you have your heart set on a PS2, then go for it. There are loads of games on it, and whilst many are very poor indeed, there are still some great games. In fact, if you like Japanese style RPGs, it is the only one for you. Other than that, it does get all the EA games if you want them. It gets most other major series as well. Chances are you will never be able to collect all the really good games on it as it is.

But the reason some of us said the Xbox is because we feel it is a better console overall. Sure, it doesn't have the choice that the PS2 might have, but it has as many, or more, really good games.

Most of us here are quite hard core gamers, we have a tendency to recommend games that you might not have heard of, or at least thought they were any good.

For me racers and shooters are the main things I play - for them and the better online service, the Xbox is my current favourite. But if you don't want one, that is fine, we just want you to enjoy your games. We have made some suggestions in case you have not thought about some things. But it is all up to you.

The controller arugement ran in the Ninty forum for ages. I genuinely can't stand the PS/PS2 controller, it makes my hands ache after a while. And it just isn't right to stretch your thumbs out to the side like that for long periods.

As far as ergonomic design goes, the Xbox Controller S thing is the best. I could yodel on for ages and spout the (few) things I can remember from when we studied it as part of my degree, but the bottom line is that it has the most naturally placed buttons.

I still prefer the original Xbox controller anyway. I'm well endowed, what can I say?
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:56
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
True Lalakersrule but I much prefere the gamecube controller to all of them and in my opinion think that if it wasn't for that Z button it would be perfect.
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:51
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Stridman™ wrote:

> If a game came out and you really wanted it (and it was on the PS2
> and Xbox) would you get it on the PS2 which has a dull-looking
> controller (but comfortable) or would you get it on the Xbox which
> has (well, now it does) a small, comfortable (but only best when
> playing FPS) and interesting controller? AND let me just remind you
> that the Xbox will have much better graphics.

Now i'm sorry but what?!?! Please don't try and tell me the xbox controller is better than the PS2 one. Now i've played on both and the PS2 wipes the floor with that badly designed piece of kit. The PS2 has the best ergonomics of any controller at the moment while the xbox is fiddly and with that thing you actually know you have it in your hands whereas with the Dual Shock you soon forget you actually have it their and it just feels like an added bit of your body.
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:46
Regular
"Horny Man!"
ßulle†† wrote:
> El Horno, to be honest, if it's sports games you're after and you're
> not too bothered about FPS games, maybe the PS2 is the better
> option.
>
> If you can though, get an Xbox too :D

I'll see what I can do...
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:05
Regular
El Horno, to be honest, if it's sports games you're after and you're not too bothered about FPS games, maybe the PS2 is the better option.

If you can though, get an Xbox too :D
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:04
Regular
Scratch that, he was actually asking about the PS2. It seems I gave him my opinion anyway :D
Thu 29/04/04 at 11:00
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> This thread is full of them... ask yourself why all these people are
> in the PS2 forum advising people to buy an X-box. (I especially liked
> the 'over-priced' comment.)
>
> You can't go wrong with a PS2 (except in the eyes of people who take
> themselves way too seriously) especially as you say this is what all
> your mates have. But do yourself a favour and find a better forum to
> ask advice on, there are good people here but they're outnumbered by
> the idiots.

for a start, I'm definitely not an Xbox fanboy. I own all three consoles and am satisfied with them all.

The guy was asking for advice on which console to get. I simply gave him my opinion on which console I see as the best value.

When I said 'over-priced' I meant that it really should be sub-£100 by now. Sony have sold absolutely millions of PS2's yet they still insist on keeping the price up.

You can't deny Xbox has a better online service, a better selection of games, better A/V and better features overall. PS2 has a few must-have exclusives, but the rest of the games are eventually available (and improved) on other consoles.

Don't get me wrong, the PS2 will still stay in my posession for games like GTA:SA, MGS3, Killzone and Disgaea but right now - and for a good few Months - it's gathering dust in another room.

By all means, if getting a PS2 means El Horno can borrow games from friends, thus saving him money, then he'll be better off with that console.

I'd personally go for the Xbox though.
Thu 29/04/04 at 10:57
Regular
"Horny Man!"
Darwock wrote:
> El Horno, as you are new to the gaming world, this thread should also
> serve as an introduction to a blight on the face of the hobby.. the
> fanboy.
>
> This thread is full of them... ask yourself why all these people are
> in the PS2 forum advising people to buy an X-box. (I especially liked
> the 'over-priced' comment.)
>
> You can't go wrong with a PS2 (except in the eyes of people who take
> themselves way too seriously) especially as you say this is what all
> your mates have. But do yourself a favour and find a better forum to
> ask advice on, there are good people here but they're outnumbered by
> the idiots.

Thank you Darwock - some sense at last!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.