GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Greetings Fellow Gamers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/04/04 at 13:10
Regular
"Horny Man!"
Hi there!

I've avoided buying a games machine for a long time due to various commitments, but I'm now in a position to join the gaming community. I'm going to get myself a PS2 and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

There seem to be many deals out there, but where's the best place for me to buy my console? Also, what do I need to get myself started? And finally, what games do people recommend for a beginner? I'm into football in a big way and I've been told PES3 is the best one to go for - do you agree? Also can anyone recommend good sports and driving games as these have been the kind of games I've enjoyed playing on my freind's consoles. Oh, and any good shoot-em-up games?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
El Horno
Fri 30/04/04 at 16:39
Regular
"object"
i would say consider buying an xbox instead but if you get a ps2 get GTA double pack, time spliters 2 and red faction 2 are both great first person shooters,i dont know much about football games.
Fri 30/04/04 at 10:38
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
If you deicide to get a PS2 TimeSplitters2 is the best FPS I have played next to Half-Life which is also on Ps2 though its better on PC.
Fri 30/04/04 at 10:15
Regular
"Horny Man!"
Icaruss wrote:
> El Horno wrote:
>
> Thanks (Diolch yn fawr)
> El Horno
>
> Hey, another person from Wales! Croeso y forums*!
>
>
> *I think

Hi Icaruss,

Close enough... "Croeso i'r cynhadleddau"... but that's just being picky!

El Horno
Thu 29/04/04 at 23:58
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Stridman™ wrote:
The Xbox S
> controller is not too big but still has that feel of POWER, it has
> button everywhere giving you a more detailed gaming experience.

This is one of the reasons i don't like it, it has too many buttons, and they're too small and close together (quite ironic really considering the size of the controller they're on)

I
> would have accepted the Dual Shock 2 controller about 5 years ago but
> now that all of these great racing, FPS and action games have become
> more popular i'd prefer a bigger, beefier control.

This is obviously where we differ, i prefer a pad that just sits in my hand and makes me not even notice i'm holding it. I don't want to be playing my games with part of my attention devoted on the controller.

But anyway as has been stated arguing about controllers is just pointless, just like the console debate. Everyone has different tastes and opinions
Thu 29/04/04 at 18:19
"period drama"
Ahahaha.
You know, when an r goes next to a n it looks rather like an m

In other words - El Homo.
Pfffttt.
Thu 29/04/04 at 18:04
Regular
"Touched!"
Personally a lot of the PS2 games don't appeal to me or are out on the Xbox, so I just stick to the Xbox now, only GT4 has me interested in the PS2, still I can play it on my bro's PS2.
Thu 29/04/04 at 17:24
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> I've just looked at the E3 list for this year, and both the X-box and
> Gamecube line-ups are totally overshadowed by the massive list of
> games due for the PS2.

I don't doubt that you're correct here.

But while the PS2 has the quantity, it's the Xbox and GameCube that provide the quality.
Thu 29/04/04 at 17:04
Regular
Can't stand the dualshock, but then I'm sure there's tons of people out there who hate the Xbox and Gamecube pads. Having an argument over which controller's better is just completly pointless.
Thu 29/04/04 at 16:03
Regular
Only problem with the PS2 pad for me is the analog (sic) sticks; they're too twitchy for accurate aiming in FPS, or even adjusting turns in racers.
Thu 29/04/04 at 16:01
Regular
": ("
lalakersrule wrote:

> Now i'm sorry but what?!?! Please don't try and tell me the xbox
> controller is better than the PS2 one. Now i've played on both and
> the PS2 wipes the floor with that badly designed piece of kit. The
> PS2 has the best ergonomics of any controller at the moment while the
> xbox is fiddly and with that thing you actually know you have it in
> your hands whereas with the Dual Shock you soon forget you actually
> have it their and it just feels like an added bit of your body.

The PS2 controller doesn't have any special features, its just a control with a few buttons you can use to move about. The Xbox S controller is not too big but still has that feel of POWER, it has button everywhere giving you a more detailed gaming experience. I would have accepted the Dual Shock 2 controller about 5 years ago but now that all of these great racing, FPS and action games have become more popular i'd prefer a bigger, beefier control. Plus, the PS2 controller is the same as the one on the PSone, which came out years ago. The PS2 controller is only useful to me when playing RPGs which i dont even like anyway.

Im sure Sony will create a bigger control for PS3.
I just hope Xbox dont make theirs any bigger!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.