GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If you haven't already seen it...this is the DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/05/04 at 14:14
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
[URL]http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=6438[/URL]
[URL]http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=6441[/URL]

Whilst rumours fly around that these are fake pictures, I think there is a good chance that they could be real. And if they are real...is it just me or does it look a tad on the ugly side?

I'll reserve judgement until an official press release...
Thu 13/05/04 at 23:01
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Anyone seen a pic of the stylus? Just wondering as I don't seem to have seen a shot of it.
Thu 13/05/04 at 22:46
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Rickoss wrote:
> Depending on how far the Wireless communication in on the DS,
> couldn't
> you essentially be sitting in your bed and playing 16 player with
> other DS owners in your street?
>
> Only if all the other people in your street were living withing 10m
> of each other, all had DSs, all had them turned on and in recieve
> mode at the same time, and all had the same game.
>
> So the possibility is there, it's just not very likely.

But, if you connect an access point to your PC (or even better, a router) then you'll be able to take your DS online and play anyone in the world.
And atleast SOMEONE is bound to be playing the same game as you SOMEWHERE!

:-)
Thu 13/05/04 at 22:43
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
[URL]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20040513/nds.htm[/URL]

There is a host of new pictures of the outer casing of the DS, and some of the games being played. Its a good link if you can get through the language barrier. :-)
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:36
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Blutooth would be the major short range link-up mode, obviously, with WiFI (or 108.11 as you call it) only being used for access to the internet.
That's my guess anyway.
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:34
"I love yo... lamp."
My magic 8 ball says that when I get married I'm going to have a crap sex life, no doubt related to the having 7 kids.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, 802.11 wireless networking can only do two units connecting to each other directly and needs an access point for more than that. Hence 16 player DS gaming all across the street is out. Which it would have been anyway considering the range is at best 100m.
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Rickoss wrote:
> Depending on how far the Wireless communication in on the DS, couldn't
> you essentially be sitting in your bed and playing 16 player with
> other DS owners in your street?

Only if all the other people in your street were living withing 10m of each other, all had DSs, all had them turned on and in recieve mode at the same time, and all had the same game.

So the possibility is there, it's just not very likely.
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:32
Regular
"bit of a brain"
When I say portability isn't an issue for me, I don't really mean that, what I mean is that taking a console out in public, and playing it whilest travelling does not appeal to me. "Imagine 4 player Mario on the train to work" sounds like a ridiculous idea to me, because you aren unlikely to ever be on a train with 3 other people with the DSs turned on and in recieve mode. You'd be lucky to find one I bet, and it will probably be the same with the PSP. Obviously I don't know this, I'm just saying that's not what I see happening, but I could easily be wrong, if enough people bought either console, although the chances of you coming in contact with someone else for unacquainted gaming are quite low, I'm sure.

The actual portability, the fact that I could just take my DS to my friends house, or just play it and watch TV at the same time is what I would use it for. I have a GBA and I play it a reasonable amount, even though I don't play in public.

But that's why the DS would appeal to me more, because it will, it seems from what developers have been saying, have new types of games, and new gaming experiences. Mainly, I think, through the touch screen, rather than through anything else. This is also why, in a way, the PSP is less appealing, as I don't see it as offering anything except better graphics and convergence, which don't really bother me.
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:30
Regular
My Magic 8 Ball agrees when I say £130 as the DS launch price.
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:29
Regular
The DS has backlight for both screens.
Thu 13/05/04 at 17:27
Regular
Depending on how far the Wireless communication in on the DS, couldn't you essentially be sitting in your bed and playing 16 player with other DS owners in your street?

Now that would rock.

One question, sounds stupid, but the DS does has a backlight, doesn't it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.