GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why are pc games cheaper"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/05/04 at 10:03
Regular
"hints"
just a question

why are pc games cheaper than xbox games and gamecube games and ps2 games

is it cos the pc games dont get instrutions cos otherwise we are paying £10 for the instructions book

considering the pc is far the mist expensive in all computers why do they get cheaper games
Sat 15/05/04 at 15:29
Regular
"That's right!"
It's royalties I believe. To make a game for the PS2, you have to pay Sony money, and that extra cost gets stuck on the consumer. Anybody can make a game for the PC, and it can be as cheap or as expensive as the publisher wants.
Sat 15/05/04 at 07:59
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
adrian wrote:
> Well considering console makers say games are expensive due to
> copying then the PC games should be alot more than console games.

How about PC games are cheaper because of the hardware? A good PC will generally cost around £1500 upwards and needs to be regularly updated, whereas a PS2 will cost around £130 and will never need more than a few upgrades. The cost of the machine must relate somehow to the price: PC Games may well be cheaper due to the fact that the machine costs a fair bit, so to be competitive in the market and for games to be bought for use on a very expensive piece of kit, costs are higher. Also, think about the number of developers: There are far more on the PC Game market, so to compete for business, prices are lower to maximise the number of units sold.
Fri 14/05/04 at 22:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> you know what i think...
>
> it's something to do with the fact there is Tons more PC games being
> copied rather than console games.
>
> pc games arn't minidisks or dvd's

Well considering console makers say games are expensive due to copying then the PC games should be alot more than console games.
Fri 14/05/04 at 16:11
Regular
"uncopyable"
I assume you mean Microsoft would tell them that they couldn't use DX!

DX is open to anyone who wants to use it. You think Microsoft don't want their API to become the standard across the PC and Console world.

Anyone can use DX, as far as M$ are concerned, it just strengthens their position in the market.
Fri 14/05/04 at 16:10
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I think one reason that PC Games are cheaper is that it's a very universal format: With consoles, certain amounts of money have to be paid for licensing etc on the name of the console (eg Nintendo), whereas the PC has none of this.

Another is that several companies all make PC games and have to compete by offering good prices: With consoles, the company that is in charge (Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony) sets prices for each game as a standard.

You could also argue about the manufacturing. PC games are all on the same thing: CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. These are also used for other recordings, so are cheaper to buy and reproduce, unlike the media for consoles which are generally made obsolete after a few years, as are the factory equipment (eg moulds) producing them, so costs will be increased for funding in that area.
Fri 14/05/04 at 16:08
Regular
be§§ant™ wrote:
> rockstar north make vice city,
> they tell sony & microsoft & nintendo, about there game,
> sony snaps up the contract and buys one year of only avalbile on
> PS2.
>
> the pc isn't manufactuered by a company in particular is it?

Sony could tell them they weren't allowed to use DirectX either though, making PC development more of a chore as sound and input for the PC becomes a classical nightmare :D
Fri 14/05/04 at 16:04
Regular
"uncopyable"
Errr, just for people who are a little hard of thinking.

My reason wasn't an opinion, or my guess as to why PC games are cheaper than console games.

That is the reason. 100% fact.

So please, no more ridiculous opinions or ‘ideas’. We have the truth, which is all we need.
Fri 14/05/04 at 15:52
Regular
You're all wrong apart from Bejam and Safedisc, who are absolutely right. Bessant's theory may have a little bit of truth about it, but rarely are they significant enough to matter.
Fri 14/05/04 at 15:31
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
you know what i think...

it's something to do with the fact there is Tons more PC games being copied rather than console games.

pc games arn't minidisks or dvd's

AND MAINLY:

for example lets say GTA vice city:

rockstar north make vice city,
they tell sony & microsoft & nintendo, about there game,
sony snaps up the contract and buys one year of only avalbile on PS2.

the pc isn't manufactuered by a company in particular is it?

NO! only apples, you can make them yourself, hence there isn't sony or microsft or ninitedo's additional cost for getting rockstar to make it compatable..

CONSOLE GAMES =

rockstar make (costing £1) -> rockstar sell to sony for £7.99 per game -> sony sell for £38.99

PC GAMES =

rockstar make (costing £1) -> rockstar sell for £29.99

the only reason that extra £8.99 is on the end is because sony (eg) pay the extra £7.99 on it...
Fri 14/05/04 at 10:36
Regular
"uncopyable"
Yeah come on lads, this one is hardly rocket science is it.

If a publisher (EA, Interplay, Take 2 etc) want to publish a game for the Xbox, GC or PS2, they have to pay Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo' for the right to do so. Effectively the publisher is paying for a 'license' to use the console hardware to display their game - hence on the loading screens you see messages along the lines of 'licensed by Nintendo' or 'licensed by SCEE'.

On the PC there is no such requirement as there is no single owner of the format.

Hence, console games are more expensive. It's really that simple.

Instruction manuals indeed :-D LOL what a muppet LOL

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.