GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why are pc games cheaper"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/05/04 at 10:03
Regular
"hints"
just a question

why are pc games cheaper than xbox games and gamecube games and ps2 games

is it cos the pc games dont get instrutions cos otherwise we are paying £10 for the instructions book

considering the pc is far the mist expensive in all computers why do they get cheaper games
Tue 18/05/04 at 22:39
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Customer taste may well be part of it, although the theory is more complicated than the way in which you described it. Consoles are popular and that is an excuse to raise prices- but practically everyone has a PC, so there is a flaw there.

Still without a definite answer, though...
Tue 18/05/04 at 20:13
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
companies developing and distributing games have now realised that Consoles are apparently cool so charge more because of it
Tue 18/05/04 at 18:54
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
When I was talking about cost, I was basically stating the cost of something very much top of the range with flat screen, fancy case, wireless everything and all the pointless mods you get on modern PCs. I haven't a clue how much my PC cost, but it can't have beeen too much, seeing as it's only 2Ghz, and has mid-range graphics and sound cards, with pretty rubbish speakers and keyboard. But a lot of disk space, I have to say; well over 200 Gb. Plus a 52X CD rewriter and a 32X DVD drive.
Tue 18/05/04 at 18:19
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Mine cost about 500 or your earth pounds too, but I recycled the monitor and a few other things.
Tue 18/05/04 at 17:38
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Der Nazi wrote:

> How about PC games are cheaper because of the hardware? A good PC
> will generally cost around £1500 upwards and needs to be
> regularly updated, whereas a PS2 will cost around £130 and will
> never need more than a few upgrades.

:O

i payed £500 for mine (made it myself) and if i was to add £200 it would be the bsest darn computer in my street.
Mon 17/05/04 at 18:04
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Basically, it all comes down to profit margins. Games often cost no more than a few pounds (if that) a copy to produce ( Counting manufacturing costs as well as expenses of building the game and any other company overheads).

Remember 'Don't buy a game week', organised by a bunch of hippies, who were protesting about explotation or some rubbish? No? It's not surprising, seeing as I only remember it because I almost kicked some hippie in the face before going to Game in Canterbury. I think it would be safe to end saying this: Games are expensive, except if you pirate them, but people won't care about price: They will still buy them.
Sun 16/05/04 at 23:46
Regular
There's little point in discussing this anymore, it's game developers have to pay the console manufacturers to licence their console technology and become a recognised developer.

That's why consoles can be sold at a loss and the money is made back through hardware sales.

This cost isn't absorbed by developers, it is directly handed on the the end consumer, but at a whack of roughly £10 per copy, that's an awful lot of money.
Sun 16/05/04 at 21:08
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> It's royalties I believe. To make a game for the PS2, you have to pay
> Sony money, and that extra cost gets stuck on the consumer. Anybody
> can make a game for the PC, and it can be as cheap or as expensive as
> the publisher wants.

That is probably the main reason. The use of different disk systems for different platforms must come into play as well, due to the fact that they are more expensive to produce, with added royalty and variety of disk types.
Sun 16/05/04 at 20:40
"Genius!"
I always believed that they were more important because if you want good games for your pc your going to have to pay extra for a good graphics card, therefore the graphics card and a pc game would probably cost the same as console games.
Sat 15/05/04 at 16:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Der Nazi wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> Well considering console makers say games are expensive due to
> copying then the PC games should be alot more than console games.
>
> How about PC games are cheaper because of the hardware? A good PC
> will generally cost around £1500 upwards and needs to be
> regularly updated, whereas a PS2 will cost around £130 and will
> never need more than a few upgrades. The cost of the machine must
> relate somehow to the price: PC Games may well be cheaper due to the
> fact that the machine costs a fair bit, so to be competitive in the
> market and for games to be bought for use on a very expensive piece
> of kit, costs are higher. Also, think about the number of developers:
> There are far more on the PC Game market, so to compete for business,
> prices are lower to maximise the number of units sold.

And that has to do with piracy how? As many people have said its to do with royalities etc. To release a game on the PS2, GC or XBox you have to pay who ever makes the console money. A console is cheap yes, but the money you pay for a console goes to one company, Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

When the consoles first come out the company often loses money on the console, so say PS2 is sold at £300 it actually costs something like £400 to make. So to make that up they need to get money from games. Now if the game is made by EA then EA would get the money for the game. So the companies charge them money, dont know if its so much per game or a one off fee, so that they can make a profit.

Consoles get cheaper because the technology becomes older and there easier to make. So they may even make a profit on a console after a certain amount of time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.