GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why are pc games cheaper"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/05/04 at 10:03
Regular
"hints"
just a question

why are pc games cheaper than xbox games and gamecube games and ps2 games

is it cos the pc games dont get instrutions cos otherwise we are paying £10 for the instructions book

considering the pc is far the mist expensive in all computers why do they get cheaper games
Fri 21/05/04 at 10:10
Regular
"uncopyable"
Der Nazi wrote:
There are several people who will challenge the point on your
> articulacy and writing skills, notably Meka Dragon, who is well known
> for his long essay-style posts. Plus, seeing as the Moose is a
> regular he has higher standing on this site; Therefore he is more
> respected. Basically, due to the heirachy here, no one will really
> care if you try to criticise. I may not be particularly articulate,
> but I know who is, and I know that all you are doing is being
> impudent.

Well thanks for that sparkling and crisply written critique of the situation Der Nazi, however, please forgiven me if I disregard it out of hand.

Yes I have read some of Meka's posts and they are indeed well written. And he has also been on this site for some years – he deserves the respect he gets from everyone.

However, when you, Meka or anyone else have worked in the video games press on a professional level for more than 10 years, working up from Staff Writer to Editorial Manager, then I may start to take notice of you when you talk about written ability.

Furthermore, I had an account which was up to the level of Regular. Unfortunately, because I used my work email address to signed up (the address I had when I worked in SR’s Internet/Editorial dept), a job which I subsequently left, I had to start a new account. Not that I mind to be honest, as I find it rather amusing to see the snobbery and general elitist attitude of people on this board simply because they have been here longer, or so they think.
Thu 20/05/04 at 22:42
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Safedisc, you are a complete imbecile. First, you ridicule Bob and say people are morons, since this question is so easy, and you "can't belive everyone is still posting". Then, you start arguing with Bob for stupid, two bit reasons.
You, boy, are an idiot
That is the final word on the matter.
Thu 20/05/04 at 22:33
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
This is the last thing I'm going to say on this subject unless/until I'm annoyed sufficiantly to be drawn into all this again is that I did not mention your grammar, your grasp of English or anything like that. The 'wording' was referring to pretty much what you've already addressed about how a post appears to me exactly how you intended it to. I was saying either that was the case or posts were just phrased in such a way it accidentally implied various things about the tone which you'd used to write them.
But as you've said, I was interpreting them correctly, etc, from which I could draw conclusions, but I won't because it will only prolong this, and contrary to popular belief, I don't enjoy unfriendly conversations.

And thanks Nazi.
Thu 20/05/04 at 22:21
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Safedisc_V3 wrote:
> However, to say that any post I have ever made on this website is
> 'worded badly' either means your English skill must be on a level
> akin to that of a junior school pupil or you simply have no idea of
> grammar and sentence structure. My posts are by far in a way the most
> well worded and grammatically tight you will read on this site.

There are several people who will challenge the point on your articulacy and writing skills, notably Meka Dragon, who is well known for his long essay-style posts. Plus, seeing as the Moose is a regular he has higher standing on this site; Therefore he is more respected. Basically, due to the heirachy here, no one will really care if you try to criticise. I may not be particularly articulate, but I know who is, and I know that all you are doing is being impudent.
Thu 20/05/04 at 10:05
Regular
"uncopyable"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:

> What I'm saying is that any of your posts in which you introduce
> anything personal are either worded extremely badly or you're
> intentionally trying to look bigger than other people.

Or maybe I just like winding people up - it just tends to make the conversation a little more interesting ;-)

However, to say that any post I have ever made on this website is 'worded badly' either means your English skill must be on a level akin to that of a junior school pupil or you simply have no idea of grammar and sentence structure. My posts are by far in a way the most well worded and grammatically tight you will read on this site.

I am sorry I annoy you, I really am, but I would rather provoke a response than be a b!tch. Yes, I am a little aggressive in some of my posts, and this is not by accident, If that’s how my posts sounds, then that is the way it was meant to sound. I hate to see misinformed people talk crap. And I don’t think it’s wrong to tell someone when they are talking BS.

Anyway, I think our conversation is pretty much done.
Wed 19/05/04 at 17:43
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Safedisc_V3 wrote:
> People have some quite interesting and techy discussions on this
> board about CPUs video cards etc – do you read these?

Interesting is a matter of opinion, my point is that this is primarily a gaming forum and you know, games are for fun; conversation doesn't have to be serious all the time. It'd be a pretty boring place if it was.

Regarding the 'discussion' thing, you said (And it looked pretty arrogent with the question) to Cipro "This isn't a discussion, and i trust you can see the difference?". That's what annoyed me, the way you talked down to him and now the inconsistency between what you said was fact and have now changed to opinion.

> No I don’t think it’s a god given right I have to talk down to people
> and I don’t think people need to talk about things I deem ‘right’ or
> ‘wrong’.

What I'm saying is that any of your posts in which you introduce anything personal are either worded extremely badly or you're intentionally trying to look bigger than other people. It's annoying. I remember months and months ago someone made exactly the same point. If you thought about what you were posting and the wording of it before you allowed yourself to interact on a personal level with others we wouldn't have this.

My main point is that anything where you actually get involved as a person is patronising, and strangely enough, people don't tend to like it when others appear to be trying to make themselves look bigger and cleverer than anyone else.

> Anyway, i am big enough to see that we will have to agree to disagree on > this one.

Most likely correct.
Wed 19/05/04 at 17:15
Regular
"uncopyable"
@ Bob_The_Moose

Well I don't really agree with anything you say to be honest.

People have some quite interesting and techy discussions on this board about CPUs video cards etc – do you read these?

----------------------------------------

You wrote:
“You said straight out that this was not a discussion”

and…

“yet only a few posts earlier than that you admitted we were discussing it”

So in summary:

I said *I* thought this wasn’t a discussion

I said *you* people were discussing it.

How is that contradicting myself? I never thought it was a discussion, and I don’t understand why you lot were still discussing it. I have never discussed it – I just gave you the correct answer. Please explain your point here?

I know that sounds patronising, but I just wanted to put it as simply as possible.

No I don’t think it’s a god given right I have to talk down to people and I don’t think people need to talk about things I deem ‘right’ or ‘wrong’. It just sadness me when this board is made to look like the PS2 (for example) board. Although in fairness I guess I have not helped in this respect with reference to this thread.

Yeah and the ‘morons’ thing – that was my bad. Shouldn’t have been so derogatory.

Anyway, i am big enough to see that we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Wed 19/05/04 at 16:54
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
You said straight out that this was not a discussion, yet only a few posts earlier than that you admitted we were discussing it. If you can't see a contradiction there I'm not even going to bother explaining it.

> Unfortunately its threads like this one that bring this board (and I mean > the PC board specifically) down from a level where people could actually > lean about PCs and the industry, to meaningless drivel.

You see that title at the top? It says PC Gaming forum It's not a serious forum, it's about games for God's sakes. If you want to talk seriously about PC's and stuff there's a forum called Web Design, PC, Internet and Freeola which is far more suited to that sort of thing.
It's painfully true that this thread is bringing the quality down, but that's only because there's been so much needless insulting (all from you).

It's like Cipro said, you're patronising. While you seem to believe it's your God given right to talk down to anyone who's not talking about something you approve of, nobody's going to value your opinion at all.

And don't mention talking constructively given the 'you morons' post.
Wed 19/05/04 at 16:34
Regular
"uncopyable"
cipro wrote:
> Safedisc_V3 wrote:
> blah blah blah
>
> No need to be patronising, but I do find it amusing that you care so
> much about what's being talked about here that you still feel the
> need to post. Does it really mean that much to you?

Good question.

I think it's because the other boards on this site (PS2 especially) are full of boring posts, submitted by morons.

On the other hand I have always liked the PC board. There are people on here with some good PC knowledge, and I also think that in general PCs and games are far more interesting to chat about.

I guess I just don't get why a board with some smart people would want to talk about something that has been answered ages ago - and not even talk about it constructively, just make up stupid answers, and more worryingly actually believe that these answer could have any place in reality.

I kinda' like to think PC owners in general are little more tech savvy and well informed (to a point) to want to talk nonsense. Maybe I am wrong?

Maybe the heat is driving me mad. ;-)
Wed 19/05/04 at 16:26
Regular
"uncopyable"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Safedisc_V3 wrote:
> I honestly cannot believe you morons are still discussing this!
>
> Safedisc_V3 wrote:
> This isn't a discussion, and i trust you can see the difference?
>
>
> Looks like someone can't...

Hmmmm. *sigh* I think you need to read that text again mate.

I said, *you morons* are still discussing this. I have not been involved in the question the thread posed since I gave you the definitive answer to the initial question.

And as a result I don't think it's a discussion. To my mind it never was a discussion, hence my surprise, which I indicated in the tone of that first line you have highlighted above, to see people still discussing something that was a flat out question. Questions by definition require an answer – once the correct answer has been given, then yes, by all means go on from that point and take the discussion forward by using the answer to evolve the thread. But don’t just make up other random answers.

Sadly some of the less well informed member of this forum seem to enjoy nothing more than waxing lyrical about absolutely nothing. All I have been trying to ask is why are you still discussing something that has been answered a long time ago.

Anyway. I give up.

Chat about meaningless stuff if you choose. Unfortunately its threads like this one that bring this board (and I mean the PC board specifically) down from a level where people could actually lean about PCs and the industry, to meaningless drivel.

Still, if drivel is your level, please, 'discuss' away.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.