GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ninja Gaiden - Good and bad"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ninja Gaiden'.
Sun 16/05/04 at 22:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Got it on Friday.

It's good because ninjas are good. It's innately cool to do ninja stuff, and unless your name is Sho Kosugi, it's unlikely you can actually do that stuff for real.
It's bad because, for all the excellent graphics, awesome speed etc, it relies on that creaking cliche of end-of-level bosses.
I mean really, in an age where you have soft-physics systems in Splinter Cell 2 and independant AI in Half-Life 2, must we still be forced to drudge through that ancient game-stretch technique of making you face multiple Bosses?

Throw yourself at it until you realise the weakspot.
*yawn*
I prefer games where, if your skillfull and observant enough, you can make it through and feel like you're participating and actually controlling what's happening.

Ninja Gaiden?
Checkpoint reach - FMV - Boss.
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Turn off and smoke several cigarettes to calm down and stop yourself from putting the controller through the tv
Return to game
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Defeat Boss
Continue

2004. Half-Life 2, Doom 3, mobile camera phones, internet, txt messaging.
Good things that have progressed since 1980 when video games were dull and bosses were prolific.
Ninja Gaiden - ninja excellence, cool weapons, awesome graphics.
End of Level Boss.
They're as cheesy cliche as ladder-death in FPS and bugs too small to shoot.
Why?
And whilst I'm fuming about bosses, the other thing that's boiled my blood about this game?

LET ME SAVE WHEN I'VE DONE AN IMPOSSIBLY HARD BIT
Don't give me set-save points that means when I die (and you will, continously), I don't have to redo huge portions of a level.
I'm thinking specifically about the first time you reach the Vigoor capital.
You have to fight large groups of black ninja (ridiculously hard), regular enemies and ever-oncoming foes.
With not a single save point. Not one. Anywhere.
A level that takes 10 mins once you know where to go and what to do.
And not one solitary point at which to save your game.

What kind of retarded level designed came up with that idea?
"Oooh oooh, I know! The first time the player encounters Black Ninjas with exploding stuff and impossibly fast attacks...let's not give them a save point anywhere!!!!"
"Cool! That'll frustrate them beyond bloodboiling!"
"Yeah! Let's have the player fight these new foes 3 times in a level with no saves! And only 2 health potions to collect!!!"
"nice one!!!!!"

It's a good game, but for me the lack of saving after I've done a really hard bit (of which there are many) makes it a tedious thing to plow through level sections again and again and again and again and again.

Feel free to preen like acne-stricken peacocks and brag about "Well I did it with no problems so it must be you then", it's nothing to boast about that your hand-to-glans combat skills enable you to have pointdexter levels of accuracy.
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Try harder Padewan, simply repeating a method of posting reeks of
"I know you are but what am I?"

Enjoy your awesome ninja skills, they will equip you with all you need in life.
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:34
Regular
Games are more fun when they're possible.

While difficulty and improvement of the player in a game is almost a fundamental necessity, I don't want to have to fully commit myself to practicing and working hard on my skills just to proceed. £40 should buy enjoyment - not tough labour.

If I want to do something like that, I'll do it with something worthwhile. Like practise my basketball or tennis.
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:34
Regular
if you hate the game so much, send it to me.

I'll replace it with a pair of used garden gloves.

y'can't say fairer than that.
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> I'll replace it with a pair of used garden gloves.
>
> y'can't say fairer than that.
---

Throw in some unidentifiable mulch and I'll scratch my chin thoughtfully at your proposal
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:47
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Try harder Padewan, simply repeating a method of posting reeks of
> "I know you are but what am I?"

Yes and when posts reek of "Mommy mommy the big game is too difficult" it gets a reply worthy of a similar status.
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:55
"Majestic"
I got mine today, and god, its hard. But its one of those games where, I’ll turn it off, but come back to it an hour later, get past the hard bit, and breathe a sigh of relief - so the sheer hardness of this game actually pulls you back.

Shame my television isn’t 60 Hz, it flickers a lot, and I got a message in the case saying its better in pal-60, I can see why...
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*chuckles into fist*
I'm not going to verbally spar with somebody who writes a furious post because his online gaming point status gets buggered with people that disconnect.
Relax and enjoy your headset gaming and maybe when you reach 18 they'll let you play in their tournament?
*pats head*

I'll pop back later to check out your huffy attempt at one-upmanship.
Mon 17/05/04 at 18:40
Regular
"Teal'c"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> I don't care what he wrote, dammit! I've got a question.

Why do you keep on winning GAD all the time? You win it at least every 20 days. Who'd you sleep with?
Mon 17/05/04 at 18:42
Regular
"accidental superher"
well i think we have all come to learn before that it is pointless even trying to give your opinion to alistair...
no change there
Mon 17/05/04 at 18:52
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> *chuckles into fist*
> I'm not going to verbally spar with somebody who writes a furious
> post because his online gaming point status gets buggered with people
> that disconnect.

Yes because you have such an interesting life, aren't you one of those pathetic people who posts serious none sense in the Life forum?

> Relax and enjoy your headset gaming and maybe when you reach 18
> they'll let you play in their tournament?

I can compete, Gamertag is one year ahead which means I am only a couple of months of being 19 according to that...

*pats head*

Now where is the Duplo sweet pea?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.