GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ninja Gaiden - Good and bad"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ninja Gaiden'.
Sun 16/05/04 at 22:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Got it on Friday.

It's good because ninjas are good. It's innately cool to do ninja stuff, and unless your name is Sho Kosugi, it's unlikely you can actually do that stuff for real.
It's bad because, for all the excellent graphics, awesome speed etc, it relies on that creaking cliche of end-of-level bosses.
I mean really, in an age where you have soft-physics systems in Splinter Cell 2 and independant AI in Half-Life 2, must we still be forced to drudge through that ancient game-stretch technique of making you face multiple Bosses?

Throw yourself at it until you realise the weakspot.
*yawn*
I prefer games where, if your skillfull and observant enough, you can make it through and feel like you're participating and actually controlling what's happening.

Ninja Gaiden?
Checkpoint reach - FMV - Boss.
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Turn off and smoke several cigarettes to calm down and stop yourself from putting the controller through the tv
Return to game
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Defeat Boss
Continue

2004. Half-Life 2, Doom 3, mobile camera phones, internet, txt messaging.
Good things that have progressed since 1980 when video games were dull and bosses were prolific.
Ninja Gaiden - ninja excellence, cool weapons, awesome graphics.
End of Level Boss.
They're as cheesy cliche as ladder-death in FPS and bugs too small to shoot.
Why?
And whilst I'm fuming about bosses, the other thing that's boiled my blood about this game?

LET ME SAVE WHEN I'VE DONE AN IMPOSSIBLY HARD BIT
Don't give me set-save points that means when I die (and you will, continously), I don't have to redo huge portions of a level.
I'm thinking specifically about the first time you reach the Vigoor capital.
You have to fight large groups of black ninja (ridiculously hard), regular enemies and ever-oncoming foes.
With not a single save point. Not one. Anywhere.
A level that takes 10 mins once you know where to go and what to do.
And not one solitary point at which to save your game.

What kind of retarded level designed came up with that idea?
"Oooh oooh, I know! The first time the player encounters Black Ninjas with exploding stuff and impossibly fast attacks...let's not give them a save point anywhere!!!!"
"Cool! That'll frustrate them beyond bloodboiling!"
"Yeah! Let's have the player fight these new foes 3 times in a level with no saves! And only 2 health potions to collect!!!"
"nice one!!!!!"

It's a good game, but for me the lack of saving after I've done a really hard bit (of which there are many) makes it a tedious thing to plow through level sections again and again and again and again and again.

Feel free to preen like acne-stricken peacocks and brag about "Well I did it with no problems so it must be you then", it's nothing to boast about that your hand-to-glans combat skills enable you to have pointdexter levels of accuracy.
Mon 17/05/04 at 21:31
Regular
": ("
Well, i still dont like Nash.

Oh and i let myself out, i haven't been on Live today, that might be why.
Mon 17/05/04 at 22:04
"Lemon eyewash"
i aint getting it or mine will end up like this guys copy [URL]http://www.jaded-gamer.com/news.php[/URL]
Mon 17/05/04 at 22:19
Regular
Hah!

While funny, though, I've certainly been thoroughly put off.
Mon 17/05/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Yes because you have such an interesting life, aren't you one of
> those pathetic people who posts serious none sense in the Life
> forum?
-------

Ohmygod!!! The internet tough-guy called me pathetic!!!
"none sense" - Quick tip for you, if you're attempting to be superior then at least spell correctly otherwise you come off a tad...well...dumb.
Unless of course you meant "nonce sense", which doesn't make sense either as there is no paedophilic implication in any of my posts.
Or it may have been a "wacky" spelling of nonsense - which means "none sense" in a compound form?
But then wacky spelling are the domain of pasty geeks that type "secks" and "w00t" in anything other than an ironic fashion - and I don't think you're one of those.

So that's the best you can do is it? Like I said earlier, you're floundering at the "I know you are but what am I?" level.
And to think you fancy yourself as some sort of curmudgeon?
Pfffft...you ain't even a Daniel-San at sneering.

> *pats head*
>
> Now where is the Duplo sweet pea?

I refer the awesome ninja-spelling master to the answer previously given about simply repeating post mannerisms marking you as an assclown unable to form his own thoughts.

Now return to getting redfaced about online gaming unfairness and furiously ejaculating like an ape in the zoo over some girl you thought might have maybe smiled at you on the schoolbus.

And keep the noise down peewee, us grownups are talking.
Tue 18/05/04 at 14:34
Regular
I love the way you completely avoided the point and went into your usual high horse anal spew that you generally do with the children in the life forum. Emphasis being on children as they are the ones who you usually spend your time arguing with on a Life forum on the internet.

*Sniggers*

Now lets get back to the original point, you are crap at this game and because of this you throw tantrums, riiiiiiight...
Tue 18/05/04 at 16:59
Regular
An insane difficulty level can still be a negative point to a game.

If the level design is such that it's too hard to even bother playing, then it's not very well constructed is it?
Tue 18/05/04 at 17:38
Regular
Mav wrote:

> If the level design is such that it's too hard to even bother
> playing, then it's not very well constructed is it?

It's not THAT hard, it's just some of the bosses are very difficult and annoying.

It's not the sort of game that I'd usually bother with, infact if I'd have known the game was gonna have so many bosses I might have thought twice about buying it. It's worth the effort though, for every teeth grindingly annoying bit, there's always somthing amazing just round the corner.
Tue 18/05/04 at 17:50
Regular
Mav wrote:
> If the level design is such that it's too hard to even bother
> playing, then it's not very well constructed is it?

This has what to do with Ninja Gaiden exactly?
Tue 18/05/04 at 17:53
Regular
Going from Goatboy's documentation, a couple of health pick-ups, increasingly and frustratingly difficult enemies directly after each other with few and poorly placed save points sounds like poor structure to me.
Tue 18/05/04 at 17:56
Regular
Do you also read and believe stuff that David Gibbon writes? I love the way you don't play the game yourself but "presume" it is going to be like something else. What about the hundreds of people who rave about it? Let me guess I take it that sounds like poor structure to you? The levels are awesome, the design is faultless, a true modern day classic and by far the best action game in years, you always get the odd person who is crap at it and for this the game suddenly becomes crap, makes me laugh muchly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.