GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ninja Gaiden - Good and bad"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ninja Gaiden'.
Sun 16/05/04 at 22:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Got it on Friday.

It's good because ninjas are good. It's innately cool to do ninja stuff, and unless your name is Sho Kosugi, it's unlikely you can actually do that stuff for real.
It's bad because, for all the excellent graphics, awesome speed etc, it relies on that creaking cliche of end-of-level bosses.
I mean really, in an age where you have soft-physics systems in Splinter Cell 2 and independant AI in Half-Life 2, must we still be forced to drudge through that ancient game-stretch technique of making you face multiple Bosses?

Throw yourself at it until you realise the weakspot.
*yawn*
I prefer games where, if your skillfull and observant enough, you can make it through and feel like you're participating and actually controlling what's happening.

Ninja Gaiden?
Checkpoint reach - FMV - Boss.
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Turn off and smoke several cigarettes to calm down and stop yourself from putting the controller through the tv
Return to game
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Dead
Restart
SMASHPUNCHKICKSTAB
Defeat Boss
Continue

2004. Half-Life 2, Doom 3, mobile camera phones, internet, txt messaging.
Good things that have progressed since 1980 when video games were dull and bosses were prolific.
Ninja Gaiden - ninja excellence, cool weapons, awesome graphics.
End of Level Boss.
They're as cheesy cliche as ladder-death in FPS and bugs too small to shoot.
Why?
And whilst I'm fuming about bosses, the other thing that's boiled my blood about this game?

LET ME SAVE WHEN I'VE DONE AN IMPOSSIBLY HARD BIT
Don't give me set-save points that means when I die (and you will, continously), I don't have to redo huge portions of a level.
I'm thinking specifically about the first time you reach the Vigoor capital.
You have to fight large groups of black ninja (ridiculously hard), regular enemies and ever-oncoming foes.
With not a single save point. Not one. Anywhere.
A level that takes 10 mins once you know where to go and what to do.
And not one solitary point at which to save your game.

What kind of retarded level designed came up with that idea?
"Oooh oooh, I know! The first time the player encounters Black Ninjas with exploding stuff and impossibly fast attacks...let's not give them a save point anywhere!!!!"
"Cool! That'll frustrate them beyond bloodboiling!"
"Yeah! Let's have the player fight these new foes 3 times in a level with no saves! And only 2 health potions to collect!!!"
"nice one!!!!!"

It's a good game, but for me the lack of saving after I've done a really hard bit (of which there are many) makes it a tedious thing to plow through level sections again and again and again and again and again.

Feel free to preen like acne-stricken peacocks and brag about "Well I did it with no problems so it must be you then", it's nothing to boast about that your hand-to-glans combat skills enable you to have pointdexter levels of accuracy.
Mon 17/05/04 at 02:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I know what you mean. This game is beyond frustrating. If anyone wants to use this tactic, it might help you a little. On most levels, you'll come accross an area where you'll get a bunch of bats swooping for you. Take out just a couple of them, then do the charge attack holding the Y button. When this hits the other bats, you'll get more cash then just killing them normally.

Sometimes you'll have quite a few bats, so just keep repeating this tactic. You can then walk out the areas you fought them, take a few steps out, then go back in. The bats will be back again and they don't do much damage if they hit you. If they start to bring your life down, just kill them normally to hopefully get some blue orbs to put your life up again.

You can keep doing this until you have shedloads of cash to spend at the shop on life saving stuff and weapons upgrades. The time it takes to put your cash right up depends on the amount of bats, but its certainly helped me get through the game and those poxy multiple bosses in levels. You can only hold a certain number of each potion and stuff, but its much better to go into the big fights with a few potions rather than one crappy potion that adds next to nothing to your bar.

I'm on chapter 14 and I can tell you all now, you WILL need this tactic because later on, the enemies get really annoying. The main thing thats had me throwing psychotic swearing fits and wishing death on every Tecmo employee that played a part in this games production is when enemies have a good variety of moves such as explosives, fast combos and throws. You get a group of them who procede to keep you pinned down - a couple of them will keep you blocking by attacking you with combos while the other either uses explosives on you or gets in and throws you.

I'd actually love to goto Japan right now to the houses of the people who made this game, grab the back of their head and slam it on a table, then slam a 2 litre Coca cola bottle up their back passage and see how THEY like it. Then of course charge them the equivelent of £40 for doing it.
Mon 17/05/04 at 02:59
Regular
It's an excellent game, but it does almost seem like the designers set out to have you loving it one minute and then wanting to throw the controller at the screen the next.

Bosses do my nut in on any game, the fact that you have to replay half the level to get back to them is just plain retarded. I'll stick at it and hopefully complete the game eventually, but I can understand why people would just give up. It's just so damn frustrating at times which can make it more of a chore to play than actual fun.
Mon 17/05/04 at 11:33
Regular
Can't wait for this to arrive - I'm not really bothered about difficulty, it's a nice change to have something challenging as most games these days are a bit... tame. The odd few like Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga and R-Type are a great change.

Bosses... I like them. Well, it depends really, if they're clever enough, tough enough and aren't mindless faeces formed into a massive evil crush-death-ogre thing, it's a nice change of pace from most games. Games like Metroid Prime really favour them, the bosses are the hardest part in it and even if they do take a couple of attempts (the Omega Pirate.. what a b*tch) they're still damn good, kick ass battles.

I'm hoping I'm going to get really pi**ed off with this game.
Mon 17/05/04 at 11:50
Regular
"Teal'c"
This is one of the only games where I actually get nervous before going back to it.

I can kill most of the things with ease, especially with those nunchuckas, but I just know there'll be something a thousand times harder lurking around the corner. I don't like the way that some of the baddies respawn as well.
But meh.
I still love it.
Mon 17/05/04 at 12:10
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The whole issue with the Bosses reminds me of the bit in Resident Evil: Nemesis where you face off with the aforementioned in the church yard. Of course being RE you have a save point which is close to the start of the action (well you'll certainly be saving your progress when you get anihilated the first time) and then you have to spend a couple of minutes skipping the cut scenes and so on.

Then you fight this abhorrent biological weapon and get pulverised. It's too fast, too strong, too tough and too skilled at grabing you and ripping your arms off. So you die and start the fight again, after a couple of minutes of skipping cut scenes and so on.

Shoot, run, shoot, panic, run , run, stop, die.

And so on.

Then you decide to make a stand. Running is getting your carpace mashed so let's do something stupid and go toe to toe with the behemoth of terror. And it works. Using the dodge button to good effectc you are suddenly making it look cumbersome, as you roll around popping caps into its big monster ass. Then when you've pulped it and mashed its face up real bad the booger gets up to whup you again, as you've pumped all you ammo into the twitching mess on the floor. Thus you die.

Then you reload.

And so on.

Then when you do finally succeed you still have to reach the next typewriter save point without being zombie chomp.

Thanks you game designer bastardos.
Mon 17/05/04 at 15:13
Regular
It is excellent, truely magnificent. It's a complete throw back to classic Nes/Snez and in a way it is like the original Alex Kidd. You battle your way through some tough sections and face the boss, if you lose you go back to the las**t checkpoint and s**tart again, tough sh*t, if you aren't good enough to beat him then going back to an eariler part gives me the chance to try out new moves on the Ninjas leading up to the boss battle where I try something different.

Devil May Cry worked in a similar way, very very hard at points and thew boss battles were s**tupidly hard at times but it didn't detract away from what is one of the bes**t games of the modern era.

You were warned by plenty of places before buying it, the immense difficulty and frus**tration levels were pointed out on mass. If you chose to ignore them or reserve judgement then I fail to see how you can suddenly s**tart complaining.

Quit whinging you big pussi, it's hard, it's frus**trating but it's better than 90% of modern easy crap.

That reminds me, Splinter Cell PT, great game but s**tupidly easy. Would you rather have that or a game that really did tes**t you?
Mon 17/05/04 at 15:57
Regular
": ("
Whats why the long posts???

:S
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:36
Regular
The Stridman™ wrote:
> Whats why the long posts???
>
>
> :S

You really don't help yourself do you?
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Quit whinging you big pussi, it's hard, it's frustrating but it's
> better than 90% of modern easy crap.
>
> That reminds me, Splinter Cell PT, great game but stupidly easy.
> Would you rather have that or a game that really did test you?
-----

Goatboy wrote:
> Feel free to preen like acne-stricken peacocks and brag about
> "Well I did it with no problems so it must be you then",
> it's nothing to boast about that your hand-to-glans combat skills
> enable you to have pointdexter levels of accuracy.
Mon 17/05/04 at 17:28
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Quit whinging you big pussi,

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.