GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dear Bonus..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/05/04 at 21:51
Regular
IGN recently did their E3 awards. They are totally irrelevant (one year Blinx won an award) but the ones that are most interesting are best graphics and Technological Excellence. Well the awards are in and for best graphics it is not a surprise to see a the RARE X-box re-release of Conker's Bad Fur Day followed quickly by Splinter Cell 3 with Resident Evil 4 a single vote behind that. You remember Resident Evil 4 surly Bonus? The one with the dissapointing graphical effects?

Well it beat Doom 3 AND Halo 2 to the awards, you know the games with "better graphics". But hey maybe you just meant the lighting and shadow effects yes? Well then you'll be surprised to hear it won the "Technological Excellence" award with this small snippet of information from the IGN crew:

Capcom's latest entry into the survival horror genre not only arrives as the most ambitious Resident Evil yet from a gameplay standpoint, but it also blows the rooftops off everything else out there from a technical one. The game, which once again stars franchise hero Leon Kennedy as he explores dark and gritty locales in search of the President's daughter, features the best graphics yet seen on GameCube. Unbelievably beautiful art design mixes with a host of technical achievements, from environments and character models made using high amounts of polygons to an incredibly detailed lighting and shadow system, explosive particle effects, superb animation and more, all of which make for an end visual experience that will leave players speechless -- and scared.

Your brilliant "Doom III" did not even get a runners up medal, ROME and Half Life 2 won those!

Now shut the hell up.

:) *All in the spirit of friendly debate of course.
Mon 07/06/04 at 23:05
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> Proof that the Gamecube better designed than the Xbox?
>
> Well, MS were so impressed that they ditched their old partnerships
> for the CPU (Intel) and Graphics (NiVidia or something :-D) and went
> along with IBM and ATI for the next generation, who were incidently
> behind the Gameucbe's hardware...
>
> Not that the Xbox wasn't more powerful, it's just that it took MS 3
> times the cost and 3 times the size (don't we all know that one! :-D)
> to make it so! :-)

The Gamecube is the best designed console out of the main three on the go right now.

It also has a good SDK apparently.

Just not as powerful as the Xbox, not as popular as the PS2 and not as well supported as either.

Big waste but the Cube didn't have the sales figures to match the machine.
Mon 07/06/04 at 22:36
Regular
Rule of the industry... rip off the little guy and take all the credit.
Mon 07/06/04 at 15:14
Regular
Proof that the Gamecube better designed than the Xbox?

Well, MS were so impressed that they ditched their old partnerships for the CPU (Intel) and Graphics (NiVidia or something :-D) and went along with IBM and ATI for the next generation, who were incidently behind the Gameucbe's hardware...

Not that the Xbox wasn't more powerful, it's just that it took MS 3 times the cost and 3 times the size (don't we all know that one! :-D) to make it so! :-)
Mon 07/06/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Īcarus wrote:
> Delorentis wrote:
>
>
> So - I went off to Anandtech and learned a few things. Who would
> have
> thought the Xbox was powered by a coppermine celeron (bleh) but had
> the best GPU in all three consoles, etc...
>
> Ah yes, it may seem all interesting, but when you actually look into
> the hardware more specifically numerous headaches and blasphemies
> follow.

Err. Yes -indeed. Um.
Mon 07/06/04 at 12:36
Regular
Delorentis wrote:

>
> So - I went off to Anandtech and learned a few things. Who would have
> thought the Xbox was powered by a coppermine celeron (bleh) but had
> the best GPU in all three consoles, etc...

Ah yes, it may seem all interesting, but when you actually look into the hardware more specifically numerous headaches and blasphemies follow.
Mon 07/06/04 at 10:57
Regular
No Zelda game has dissapointed me yet so I'd be surprised.

And looking at the press that Resident Evil 4 has got I'd be surprised if it is anything but amazing.
Fri 04/06/04 at 21:58
Regular
Best graphically...

I'm still a bit sceptical over Resi's gameplay.
I mean, it's always been atmosphere over gameplay but they were talking about something different here...

Then they go and talk about reverting to the "FPS controls" of the original and I wonder if they really have what it takes to make an all-round masterpiece.

Zelda?
I know Nintendo CAN do... but WILL they? :-)
Fri 04/06/04 at 10:10
Regular
Bonua any game can be improved I'm not argueing that.

But this will be the best the Gamecube will ever churn out along with the Legend of Zelda.

There are real time shadows in the in game screens.
Fri 04/06/04 at 09:19
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Bonus wrote:
> Delorentis wrote:
> You know - up until the last comment I was thinking that this might
> end here...but nooooo, you go and chuck in that daft PS 2 comparison
> and bait the lot of them AGAIN. Sheesh. :D
>
> I think you and Strafio are the only two people who have enough sense
> to notice that I pick my arguements just to stir up a bit of
> discussion, something which this forum seems to lack a great deal of.

Yes mate - it was a good debate, and I enjoy having the ol' brain challenged a bit. Good bit of research you did to back up your argument, so (I take no sides really) I agreed with the principle - which was that real time lighting in games is very atmospheric and can certainly add to them greatly. Secondly, that the T&L engine in the Cube - being fixed and non-programmeable, may limit developers and thus "A Game" may not use it in a way the developers wanted to. Whether Resi uses it in a certain way I am still unsure of, until I play the game.

So - I went off to Anandtech and learned a few things. Who would have thought the Xbox was powered by a coppermine celeron (bleh) but had the best GPU in all three consoles (programmeable T&L and full Direct X 8 support) eh? And - who would have thought that the Cube had the fastest memory bus to feed it's hungry processors? And lastly, that the vector units in the PS2's Emotion Engine are so powerful, you can have one of them controlling a game and the other processing Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly. :$

So - thanks, I enjoyed finding all that out being a bit of a hardware nut.
Fri 04/06/04 at 01:04
Regular
Delorentis wrote:
> You know - up until the last comment I was thinking that this might
> end here...but nooooo, you go and chuck in that daft PS 2 comparison
> and bait the lot of them AGAIN. Sheesh. :D

I think you and Strafio are the only two people who have enough sense to notice that I pick my arguements just to stir up a bit of discussion, something which this forum seems to lack a great deal of.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.