GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What are your views on the graphical eyesore that is the ps2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/07/04 at 15:30
Regular
"diablo"
why do people enjoy playing such an un-aesthetically pleasing console like a ps2. i have been thinking this for quite some time and it still baffels me. what are your views on the subject
Fri 16/07/04 at 17:43
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Which makes it good? No, it means the marketing team did good, the game is still...(insert your own word).

Seriously, if you judge a game simply by sales figures then you'll end up supporting some very bad games in my opinion - not to mention that sometimes the best games barely register on the sales figures. Though, if you want to argue figures, the PS2 beats everything else out there on sales figures...

If anyone can mount a credible defence of the travesty that is Driv3r I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Another important point about the PS2 is that it's opened up gaming to a lot more people than any other console - Nintendo has always tried for mass appeal but never really done so after the NES, Xbox's popularity is spreading, but the mainstream console is the PS2 - the industry's own research tells them that.

Next round - PS3, N5, Xbox2, I think it really is everything to play for (excuse the pun), as Sony has already seen the PSX fail to really make any impression, has scrapped the console and the european release, yet the PS3 was being touted as a machine more powerful, but multifeatured like the PSX. MS is concentrating mainly on the gaming side, if their own statements can be believed, whilst there is always the chance Nintendo can pull back from their current position. I think the previous generations of consoles have sold themselves partly on their graphical leaps in technology, but this time that's going to be less obvious because PC gaming has already pulled miles away in terms of graphics - as shown by the fact Half Life 2 will be a title almost certainly only seen on the next consoles - by which time it will be at least a year old and canot match the resolution seen by PC gamers.
Fri 16/07/04 at 15:37
Regular
Anyone?

No of course not, it has only sold more copies than any other game this year so far, idiot.
Fri 16/07/04 at 15:25
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I'm just laughing that Alastair thinks anyone would any longer even CARE that Driver is no longer exclusive to Sony...

I'll admit to buying Driv3r but in my defence I traded it in within a week (getting only £4.99 less than I paid for it)... before the tidal wave of trade ins began. Even OXM only gave it 6.5, Edge was best with a brutal 3/10...

Final Fantasy is still for the most part exclusive - the best and newest games are still only on Sony (bar XI) and that continues to be the case, Crystal Chronicles was basically FF in name only and has little to do with the other games, and very little success to boot. Storyline was on par with that of the first 4 original games, in fact it was far simpler - "lets entrust the survival of our town to 4 people and a rickety wagon"!!!
Thu 15/07/04 at 22:55
Regular
"8==="
P!ss-poor controllers.

Otherwise I'd have one.
Thu 15/07/04 at 22:55
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> Yet on the PC, despite the games being sometimes much harder to
> setup, play, and configure, there are large numbers of players for
> virtually every online game - that's hopefully what the consoles will
> have one day.

I'm not a great believer in consoles going online. I buy consoles because they are easy to use, games are pish easy to set up and I don't have to pay any sort of subscription fees to keep playing them. If online gaming really takes off, how many developers are going to bother making offline games? It just wouldn't be worth it from a financial point of view. That's when I'll give up gaming for good.
Thu 15/07/04 at 22:42
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
The PS2 is certainly technically inferior to the X-Box and GC. But it is an older console and graphics aren't everything, so long as it has enough games that I enjoy playing then I'm happy.
Thu 15/07/04 at 09:30
Regular
"Don't let me down"
Now that Pro Evo Soccer 4 is coming to the X box the PS2 has no chance, anyone who knows a thing or two about gaming would know sony are starting to waver in the war for consoles. Even the stronghold which sony has since the release of the ps1, it's just a matter of time before they crumble. The playstation 2 is finished and only the next generation console can save them, and even this is uncertain. Take the psp for example? I know I won't be getting one for the simple reason the specs are more or less the same as the ps2 but portable, not enough reason for make me go out and buy it. The worst thing sony did was to allow the developers to make games for the other consoles which takes the originallity away. And the second thing they did wrong was to let the X box sell cheaper than the ps2 when the X box clearly has the better specs.
Thu 15/07/04 at 08:28
Regular
How anyone can argue about the levels of PAL Sony exclusives is beyond me, the European PS2 has had practically everything decent ripped away from it and ported to other consoles. Nearly all of the PSONE big exclusive hitters are no longer exclusive to a Sony console...

Driver
GTA
Metal Gear Solid
Tenchu
Final Fantasy
Crash Bandicoot

But to name a few taken elsewhere. The remaining exclusives...

Tekken
Gran Turismo
Syphon Filter

Are now up against far better competition on either the GameCube or Xbox, the possible exception being Syphon Filter which wasn't an original game by it's own merits but has now dropped to an all time low with the average Omega Strain which is gutting to be honest as the original PSONE games were really something else, brilliant games. Take Destruction Derby as another example... What the hell did they do to the PS2 version?! A series so original and great fun to play turned into another experiment gone horribly wrong.

The PS2 on RPG merits, Xenosaga and Disgeae being two excellent examples is probably the best consoles for the RPG platform, sadly most of the idiots who whine on about how excellent the PS2 is haven't even played these games and in the case of the former will probably never get a chance to. This is where the PS2 is at, not all the 'played to death, been there done that played much better games elsewhere' crap released on a weekly basis.
Thu 15/07/04 at 08:18
Regular
Devil May Cry has no match?

No of course not, Ninja Gaiden only took everything that made Devil May Cry decent and also gutted it with a free flowing hand to hand engine. Some people come out with the most hilarious crap, it sometimes makes me wonder if they actually see and play the same games.

As much as I enjoy Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden does everything so much better.
Thu 15/07/04 at 07:55
Regular
"\\"
Bonus wrote:
> The PS2 has the best games, it's that simple.

*chuckle*

More does not = best.

> GT3 is better than PGR2 in terms of driving sim, PGR2 is more fun
> online, but we'll wait and reserve judgement on GT4 until it's out.

GT3 is the worst of the GT series, and GT2 doesn't match up to PGR2. And fun is what matters. no?

> Devil May Cry has no match on any other console, it's sheer class and
> easily one of the best and most original games on this generation of
> hardware.

I found it quite boring and bland. Nothing new really.

> Transformers rocks :D

-_-

> Zone Of The Enders rocks.

Never heard of it.

> Final Fantasy rocks.

It do, but they arn't exclusive.

> 8 player games of Pro Evolution Soccer rock.

But xbox is getting PES4. As for now, shh.

> At the end of the day it's a games console, it's designed to play
> games which an individual enjoys, and that's all that matters, how
> each individual owner enjoys it.

True... But i don't see how PS2 is more enjoyable than the XBox or GC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.