GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Chicken Or The egg?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/12/06 at 11:20
Regular
Surely the chicken must have come first. I feel that a creature before the chicken must have evolved slightly, creating a egg laying animal. This is because when I turn the question around I see that the egg must have come from somewhere - right?!
Wed 03/01/07 at 20:18
Regular
"lets go back"
Oh of course you cant. I was just speaking hypothetically. Its hard to put that accross without actually hearing the tone of my voice and seeing facial expressions etc.

Anyway, the beliefe that life spontaneously came into being is based on faith. There is no proof at all of that, just extrpolation and speculation on what may have happened, so does that mean we should teach that in school?
Wed 03/01/07 at 20:23
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
In these type of debates I'm always reminded of the simpsons episode where Judge Snyder issues a restraining order that keeps science and religion 500 yards apart at all times. :)
Wed 03/01/07 at 20:25
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Geffdof wrote:
> Anyway, the beliefe that life spontaneously came into being is
> based on faith. There is no proof at all of that, just
> extrpolation and speculation on what may have happened, so does
> that mean we should teach that in school?

Speculation on the beginning of life is not taught in school though (unless they've drastically change the biology syllabus recently) and I don't think anyone's suggested it should be... I can't see what you're getting at.
Wed 03/01/07 at 20:30
Regular
"lets go back"
It was taught to me when I was at school as part of my biology lessons as part of the evolution process.
Wed 03/01/07 at 20:33
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Really? Oh okay, well it wasn't for us.
Wed 03/01/07 at 20:37
Regular
"lets go back"
Not in any great detail or anything, only about half a lesson of work on it, but still I thought it was rediculous.

I think if they teach anything about the origins of life they should provide both points of view seen as they both require some ammount of faith as neither is currently provable.
Wed 03/01/07 at 21:30
Regular
Cycloon wrote
> Alfonse, why should neither be taught? Evolution in sicence and
> Creationism in RS is fine with me.

I don't think they should be taught as fact because neither have been proven apparently.
Wed 03/01/07 at 21:45
Regular
Geffdof wrote:

> I think if they teach anything about the origins of life they
> should provide both points of view

Um..

they do.

Biology and Rs..
Thu 04/01/07 at 12:07
"possibly impossible"
So, to sum up:

Evolution should be taught during science class, with the explicit explanation that it is current Scientific theory and could be replaced if science makes further studies that disprove it (a good lesson in science theory versus irrefutable proof, perhaps?)

Creationism should be taught in RE as 'this is what certain people believe about the creation of the universe. Discuss this belief as compared to Evolution' and have an open discussion in the class on how belief can take over current scientific thinking and where the 2 might meet.

That way your'll encourage much healthier debate and attitudes in kids so that they can take this into life. Open minds are the best kind, but this needs to be tempered by an understanding of how Science and Religion work and a respect for both (even if you don't believe in something, you can respect that others do).
Thu 04/01/07 at 13:07
Regular
"lets go back"
I completely agree with that. We should have both point of view then be able to make our mind up. Just having one view is narrow minded.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.