GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manhunt - BANNED!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Manhunt'.
Fri 30/07/04 at 16:34
Regular
"We love you Rooney!"
Due to the death of a boy by a killer who was influenced by Manhunt, Manhunt has now been taken off of the shelves.

Your views??

As never playing the game i would like details of the actual gameplay if anyone can be bothered to get of their dimples to tell me
Sat 31/07/04 at 17:11
Regular
True. I had no intentions of buying the game before this. Now i'm very tempted.
Sat 31/07/04 at 15:35
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
The only effect this has on Rockstar financially is positive - you see where AB1000 was on about the surge of orders SR has? Play.com likewise, and Amazon, and everywhere else by the looks of it.
Sat 31/07/04 at 14:58
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
Lou Role wrote:
> prisoners who threatened the boys in prison

They get to play games in prison!?!?!?!

I cant wait to commit an offense their ;^)
Sat 31/07/04 at 14:05
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Lou Role wrote:
> It would affect games like GTA

Achilles wrote:
> This has actually happened. Two boys in America played Vice City then
> stole their Dads shotgun and started shooting at cars on the highway.

I actually meant that it could effect Rockstar from a financial point of view and if that happened it could have an effect on San Andreas' development. That may be taking things a little too far, I admit, but you never know.

> They were jailed and the parents tried to get it banned.

Yea I know the story you're talking about, and these kids actually killed two people as well. But in that case, the game probably was an influence, however it would never have happened if guns weren't as readily avaiable in the U.S.

I'm afraid in that particular case the game wasn't really accountable for the boys' actions, it was America's slack laws on guns.

> Thankfully or us local gangs put death threats against them that if they
> "got their game banned" they would kill them. Scary stuff...

It was actually other prisoners who threatened the boys in prison, so their parents decided not to take any further action against Rockstar, however certain critics and money grabbing lawyers are still hell bent on pursuing that case.
Sat 31/07/04 at 13:41
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Manhunt is lame anyway, that should be the reason its taken off the shelves.
Sat 31/07/04 at 12:49
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Wakka wrote:
> I agree. I bought Hitman 2 alone last year. I almost bought The
> Getaway alone last year:
>
> Lady at till: Hello.
>
> Alan: Hi. *hands over copy of the Getaway for PS2 and 20 pounds*
>
> Lady: *puts money in till* *hands me the game in bag*
>
> Lady: *gives me 1 pence change*
>
> Alan: *smirking* *walks off*
>
> Lady: Hold on! You aren't eighteen.
>
> Alan: *turns around* *Damn!*
>
> Alan: *walks back. gives game. takes back money. leaves.*

Really you didn't have to take it back as she had already sold it to you.
Sat 31/07/04 at 11:21
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
That's what I thought.
Sat 31/07/04 at 02:05
Regular
Azul wrote:
> It's not against the law to buy a game if you're underage. There is a
> voluntary code within the retailers.
> If I were to buy an 18 rated game, I'm not breaking the law.
>
> The ratings are independent, and not legal.
> Sheesh.

Nope. Ratings of 15/18 on my games are by the BBFC and clearly state that they are not to be supplied to anyone below that age. Although the person buying the game isnt commiting the crime as such, the supplier is.

Certain games have elspa/pegi ratings which are guidelines. Examples...

Soul Calibur 2 is recommended for over 15's but anyone can actually buy it, but State of Emergency is actually rated 18 by the BBFC which means only 18+ can buy it.
Sat 31/07/04 at 00:45
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
*Yawn* has it started again? the debate of soccer moms of video games being the most powerful mind tool in the world?

This lad was 17 right? Why was he playing Manhunt in the first place? It had a 18 certificate on it last time i checked. Therefore the parents should have been with him as he played it. Instead of blaming videogames the parents should try looking a little closer to home and stop trying to find a scapegoat.

If they're taking it off the shelves take it off the shelves for having one of the worst camera systems in history, not because some lunatic goes and kills someone and just because he has a copy of the game in his room the PC brigade jump up and down all excited slobbering at the mouth getting ready to have another go at videogames
Fri 30/07/04 at 23:55
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Look?

You have seen me?

STALKER!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.