GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Donkey Konga"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Donkey Konga'.
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:47
Regular
Everybody:

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got.
Set them free at the break of dawn
'Til one by one, they were gone.
Back at base, bugs in the software
Flash the message, Something's out there.
Floating in the summer sky.
99 red balloons go by.

Donkey Konga is set to hit European shores this Christmas, along with Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. UK gamers are also treated to the long over due release of Animal Crossing and the GBA titles Leaf Green and Fire Red.

Nintendo's childish image may save a potentially bad Christmas. Sony's flagship release is GTA:SA and Microsoft's is of course Halo 2. These are the sequels to the games that single handidly sold the respective consoles. Nintendo are relying on a unique Mario outing and the more hardcore favourite Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. A multiplayer may increase popularity but nit enough to triumph over the 2 AAA titles for the X-box and PS2.

Lucky for Nintendo both the games with Halo 2's online capabilities and GTA 5's horrific content the games are soley aimed at 15 plus (even if it is illegal). The children and parent buying population will turn to Nintendo with Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Zelda: Four Swords and Paper Mario 2... games with a very childish appeal.

So Christmas may not be a disaster but who cares? I am not bothered that Mario's paper outing may not impact on the charts. As a Nintendo fan this Christmas is looking like a lot of fun. No real arty games or over the top movie style software... just pure fun. Come Christmas day I'll be beating off to 99 red balloons, turning into paper aeroplanes and controlling 4 little green elves across the screen.

This is why I'm a Nintendo fan
Wed 04/08/04 at 12:48
Regular
Damn, just found out how many copies of Paper Mario 2 have been sold, pretty damn amazing. I think Nintendo will have games in the all-format charts (even my Ninty-hating friend admitted that Metroid Prime 2 looked brilliant), but Sony and Microsoft will come out on top.

But who knows, eh?
Wed 04/08/04 at 12:49
Regular
"8==="
I think Skies and Robo are the only two games that'll get me purchasing a cube again soon.

Finished Max Payne 2 last night then went onto New Legends. Before that it was SC:PT online and a bit of RS3 online.

Day before was BG:DA splitscreen with SC:PT system link carnage and Deathrow System link moshings.

Before that Serious Sam system link and the re-awakening of BG:DA co-op.

And Vex was playing all the co-op stuff with me despite having a cube without about 15 unplayed games.

Still there's always Skies and Robo...
Wed 04/08/04 at 12:53
Regular
Robo's meant to be a bit crap. Which is a shame, as it looked great.

Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 2 and Paper Mario 2 will rock though, whether or not they sell well.
Wed 04/08/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Personally, I must admit I'm not all that 'taken' by it, but, if it's given the right and rediculous amount of marketing at the right time, and all the little kiddies know about it in-time, Donkey Konga could prove to be, perhaps, the biggest thing in gaming for Christmas 2004...! :)

It could be like the EyeToy of last year.

Like you said, how many kids are gonna want - let alone get - something like Halo 2 or GTA: San Andreas when they could be tapping-along to DKs latest title.

Having games like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Paper Mario: The Door-thing... arrive at the same time will only be an added bonus for the rest of us - those of us with taste and eyes for true quality that isn't neccesarily bolted to our eyelids. ;)

Christmas 2003 was a pretty crap one for Nintendo, we can all agree. However, it looks like they've certainly got the right idea for this year.
(Then again, we are European, so they could still muck things up, yet. I guess... :P )
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:01
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Like you said, how many kids are gonna want - let alone get -
> something like Halo 2 or GTA: San Andreas when they
> could be tapping-along to DKs latest title.

That was sarcastic right?

You don't seriously think the kids out there would pick smashing some bongos in tune with a cartoon gorilla, over a 'cool' title such as GTA?
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:14
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:

>
> Hell no, most parents would rather have their 10 year olds beating up
> old ladies and car jacking this Xmas. It's a crazy world we live in,
> god knows if I was a parent I wouldn't let my kids play games like
> that. Oh and Halo 2 will own this Xmas, the first one sold so well
> just on the offline game so I see no reason why it'll be any
> different with the sequel.

I'm not saying that won't sell. Just not to kids. I spent a month working at a junior/primary school... NONE of them talk about GTA and Halo... they are strictly adult appealing games...

> Looks like ANOTHER crappy Xmas for Nintendo then. What's that, 4 in a
> row?

Except last years, which as you know defeated Microsoft, had Mario Kart storm the charts, a massive Nintendo sales boost aided by a price cut.

This year's Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2 and Donkey Konga will appeal to kids, and after the manhunt issue I wouldn't be surprised if GTA won't do as well as predicted.

Metroid Prime 2 all the way.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:18
Regular
Solskjær wrote:

> Christmas 2003 was a pretty crap one for Nintendo, we can all agree.
> However, it looks like they've certainly got the right idea for this
> year.

How was last Christmas bad? Are you all mental? Nintendo stormed last Christmas!!!! 1080, Mario Kart, F Zero GX, Price Cut, Viewtiful Joe etc... etc...

God you all drive me mad. Christmas 2002 was awful yes but last years was a big success.

As for Tilt if he honestly thinks 6-11 year olds are attracted to GTA and Halo then you are mistaken. Very mistaken. Kids have no pre-conception of cool, i'm talking about a generation of people who happily played Pokemon in the playground. I have a younger brother with many friends, I have worked at a school... They talk about Spiderman 2, Shrek 2, Pokemon etc... but not one of them discuss Driv3r.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:26
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
"That was sarcastic right?"
-----

Sorry, when I say "kids", I mean little, happy, know-nothing 5-year-olds who spend day-after-day learning the Alphabet and struggling to colour inside the lines.

I was not, however, talking about the scum-of-the-human-civillisation, good-for-nothing, smoking, drinking creature that seems to be spreading faster than S.A.R.S., as we speak! :P

They will, most certainly, be looking for the other 2.

;)
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:30
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Dringo wrote:
"How was last Christmas bad?"
-----

What I mean, is, that, even with Mario Kart and 1080 Snowboarding, we still struggled to get anywhere near the top-spot.

However, this year, thanks (in big-part) to Donkey Konga, it could be very different...

While the PS.2 has GTA and there's Halo 2 for X-Box, including this game, we could have THREE essential games in the runnings!

;D
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:34
Regular
X-box also gets Doom 3 and Half Life 2 whilst Sony get GT4 and GTA5.

I doubt Nintendo'll make an impact on the all format charts, it doesn't mean they won't sell well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.