GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Donkey Konga"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Donkey Konga'.
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:47
Regular
Everybody:

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got.
Set them free at the break of dawn
'Til one by one, they were gone.
Back at base, bugs in the software
Flash the message, Something's out there.
Floating in the summer sky.
99 red balloons go by.

Donkey Konga is set to hit European shores this Christmas, along with Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. UK gamers are also treated to the long over due release of Animal Crossing and the GBA titles Leaf Green and Fire Red.

Nintendo's childish image may save a potentially bad Christmas. Sony's flagship release is GTA:SA and Microsoft's is of course Halo 2. These are the sequels to the games that single handidly sold the respective consoles. Nintendo are relying on a unique Mario outing and the more hardcore favourite Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. A multiplayer may increase popularity but nit enough to triumph over the 2 AAA titles for the X-box and PS2.

Lucky for Nintendo both the games with Halo 2's online capabilities and GTA 5's horrific content the games are soley aimed at 15 plus (even if it is illegal). The children and parent buying population will turn to Nintendo with Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Zelda: Four Swords and Paper Mario 2... games with a very childish appeal.

So Christmas may not be a disaster but who cares? I am not bothered that Mario's paper outing may not impact on the charts. As a Nintendo fan this Christmas is looking like a lot of fun. No real arty games or over the top movie style software... just pure fun. Come Christmas day I'll be beating off to 99 red balloons, turning into paper aeroplanes and controlling 4 little green elves across the screen.

This is why I'm a Nintendo fan
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:47
Regular
Everybody:

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got.
Set them free at the break of dawn
'Til one by one, they were gone.
Back at base, bugs in the software
Flash the message, Something's out there.
Floating in the summer sky.
99 red balloons go by.

Donkey Konga is set to hit European shores this Christmas, along with Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. UK gamers are also treated to the long over due release of Animal Crossing and the GBA titles Leaf Green and Fire Red.

Nintendo's childish image may save a potentially bad Christmas. Sony's flagship release is GTA:SA and Microsoft's is of course Halo 2. These are the sequels to the games that single handidly sold the respective consoles. Nintendo are relying on a unique Mario outing and the more hardcore favourite Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. A multiplayer may increase popularity but nit enough to triumph over the 2 AAA titles for the X-box and PS2.

Lucky for Nintendo both the games with Halo 2's online capabilities and GTA 5's horrific content the games are soley aimed at 15 plus (even if it is illegal). The children and parent buying population will turn to Nintendo with Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Zelda: Four Swords and Paper Mario 2... games with a very childish appeal.

So Christmas may not be a disaster but who cares? I am not bothered that Mario's paper outing may not impact on the charts. As a Nintendo fan this Christmas is looking like a lot of fun. No real arty games or over the top movie style software... just pure fun. Come Christmas day I'll be beating off to 99 red balloons, turning into paper aeroplanes and controlling 4 little green elves across the screen.

This is why I'm a Nintendo fan
Tue 03/08/04 at 17:14
Regular
"the burning sky"
Dringo wrote:
> Come Christmas day I'll be beating off to 99 red balloons

Really?

But it is good news that they will all be out for Xmas, to bleed our wallets dry...
Tue 03/08/04 at 18:03
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Oh dear Dringo, another horribly skewed take on Nintendo.

FACT: Halo did not even get a BBFC certificate, at worst Halo 2 got a M rating in the USA and an Elspa rating for over 10's.

FACT: Games like GTA San Andreas are, unfortunately, what kids want. Try and ban something or make it restricted to an age group and the same will happen to anything. You're conveniently forgetting Nintendo tried and failed to do this for a period of time with Resident Evil leading the way.

I look at that lineup and see the dregs from other countries getting long overdue releases. With the exception of Metroid 2 ain't nothing there I could not get from the US or Japan. Hopefully there is something more for my new GBA SP though, if not there is a large back catalogue.

This Christmas is going to be MS/Sony neck and neck in the UK simply because they have retailer support and the titles to back them up. Halo 2 is going to be a great example to all the companies in the industry with near simlutaneous multi territory releases within the space of 2 days, backed by identical promotions and a marketing campaign that began at E3.

Nintendo needs to think hard about what will actually sell and appeal to a wider audience - you can't say that the other consoles are the adult ones because they have a large catalogue for all age ranges, my cousin is only 5 yet he has a PS2 with Jak + Daxter, Ratchet etc - all platform games, all similar to Nintendo style titles, yet his parents bought a PS2 despite the GC being cheaper. Nintendo needs to ask itself why that same story is being repeated time and time again.

Rant over.
Tue 03/08/04 at 18:11
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> FACT: Halo did not even get a BBFC certificate, at worst Halo 2 got a
> M rating in the USA and an Elspa rating for over 10's.

Why on Earth did Frankie say that it got a 15+ cettificate on the Bungie Weekly update then?

Boosh?

Possibly.
Tue 03/08/04 at 18:14
Regular
"a.k.a King"
Games like Pikmin 2 are not childish. Children and adults will buy these games simply because they are unique and fun to play. I do feel though christmas will belong to Halo 2, but 2005 will see the new Zelda game destroy everthing.
Tue 03/08/04 at 21:58
"period drama"
Actually, the children and parent population will turn to GTA.
Tue 03/08/04 at 23:32
Regular
Stranger in Paradise clearly knows little of what he's talking about.

Yes, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas will sell loads of copies. As will Halo 2 and Doom 3. But it does not mean that this Christmas is a two man race in which Nintendo have no room.

Microsoft are too busy struggling against Nintendo to worry about the inevitable Playstation 2 sales and so are unleashing many of the big guns this Christmas to try and stop Nintendo from getting business. They especially need to do this after massive sales of Paper Mario 2 in Japan have proven there's still life in the GameCube yet.

As for the parents. They're going to be shocked by this news of Manhunt, especially when they find out that big retailers such as Game and Dixons are indefinately not stocking it. Then when they hear the content of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, which any respectful store will advise parents of, they may reconsider and go for something a little less violent.

This is where Nintendo always benefit. Sales of Game Boy Advance are normally high near Christmas due to the range of games available. The current big sellers being the role playing games, and others such as Sonic Advance 3. Come Christmas time and kids will want to play the new Pokémon games all their friends have and parents will be more than happy to pay a little less for one of those games than spend near enough Ł40 on the others.

As for the GameCube, it is the perfect choice for the parents when they're introducing their kids to games. It's small, it's durable and the majority of good games suit all ages. They may not be to everyone's liking but I tell you now, there's huge interest in games like Pikmin 2 at the moment so things aren't going to be all bad.

We're not expecting GameCube to beat PS2 sales this Christmas, but it sure as hell is going to put up a good fight against the Xbox.

Wed 04/08/04 at 10:19
Regular
I don't mean 12 year olds I mean 6,7,8,9 etc...

My mother would never let me 9 year old play GTA, she was happy with the 16 year old playing it, but not the 9.

The Manhunt thing is going to really rock the adult game industry... games such as Doom 3 are being called upon to be banned. Nintendo come out almost unscathed from this. My mother will get my little brother Paper Mario 2 and Pikmin 2 this Christmas. Daniel'll get GTA yes but my mother won't be buying it.

Look at Halo 2 now stranger, tell me and do tell me how that appeals to kids? How does a gritty, violent, online shooter appeal to children who don't play online and prefer cute happy games???

I'm not saying Nintendo will win to be honest, Microsoft and Sony are aiming their games at the bigger market. But Nintendo can still enjoy a good Christmas as long as they stick to their guns by appealing to Children and parents. If Resident Evil 4 got a Christmas release then there truly would be a massive fight. But instead Nintendo are doing the smart thing and avoiding going head to head with GTA and Halo.
Wed 04/08/04 at 11:21
Regular
It's a shame Nintendo didn't acquire exclusivity rights to the Shrek 2 game. It's sold extremely well on the PS2 and is the kind of game that has been appealing to kids and parents.
Wed 04/08/04 at 12:23
Regular
You honestly think that parents will be buying little Jimmy the games aimed at kids this Xmas?

Hell no, most parents would rather have their 10 year olds beating up old ladies and car jacking this Xmas. It's a crazy world we live in, god knows if I was a parent I wouldn't let my kids play games like that. Oh and Halo 2 will own this Xmas, the first one sold so well just on the offline game so I see no reason why it'll be any different with the sequel.

Looks like ANOTHER crappy Xmas for Nintendo then. What's that, 4 in a row?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.