GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Donkey Konga"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Donkey Konga'.
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:47
Regular
Everybody:

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got.
Set them free at the break of dawn
'Til one by one, they were gone.
Back at base, bugs in the software
Flash the message, Something's out there.
Floating in the summer sky.
99 red balloons go by.

Donkey Konga is set to hit European shores this Christmas, along with Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. UK gamers are also treated to the long over due release of Animal Crossing and the GBA titles Leaf Green and Fire Red.

Nintendo's childish image may save a potentially bad Christmas. Sony's flagship release is GTA:SA and Microsoft's is of course Halo 2. These are the sequels to the games that single handidly sold the respective consoles. Nintendo are relying on a unique Mario outing and the more hardcore favourite Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. A multiplayer may increase popularity but nit enough to triumph over the 2 AAA titles for the X-box and PS2.

Lucky for Nintendo both the games with Halo 2's online capabilities and GTA 5's horrific content the games are soley aimed at 15 plus (even if it is illegal). The children and parent buying population will turn to Nintendo with Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Zelda: Four Swords and Paper Mario 2... games with a very childish appeal.

So Christmas may not be a disaster but who cares? I am not bothered that Mario's paper outing may not impact on the charts. As a Nintendo fan this Christmas is looking like a lot of fun. No real arty games or over the top movie style software... just pure fun. Come Christmas day I'll be beating off to 99 red balloons, turning into paper aeroplanes and controlling 4 little green elves across the screen.

This is why I'm a Nintendo fan
Wed 11/08/04 at 21:58
Regular
Come on Dringo - that was too hard for Belldandy to work out by himself. Lets go down to his level and explain it in as simple a way as possible:

A good game isn't good because it has sold well. It is a good game because it is a good game. I am not a shareholder. I couldn't care less what shareholders think as long as I can still purchase a good game.

Understood?
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:50
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> *laughs insanely*

> Like it or not, sales figures are what all companies are judged on.
> Nintendo cannot go to it's shareholders "Hey guys, we've got
> some great games but they aren't selling, but they're great,
> honest!". Nintendo's best sales are in Japan where, not by
> coincidence, Nintendo makes the greatest effort in marketing,
> promotions etc. You'd think this would give them a clue, but
> apparently not.

Nintendo aren't doing well in Japan, just because they are trouncing the X-box does not mean they are doing well. In fact bar good software sales Nintendo repeatidly whinge about how badly they are doing in Japan.

I know what you mean about companies being judged by how well they're doing. Only the other day I was playing Beyond Good and Evil and I came to the conclusion that the game was naff, it didn't sell very well after all.

And when Windows crashed for the twelve time today I smiled, what a brilliant system... after all it sold so well.
Wed 11/08/04 at 14:58
Regular
"a.k.a King"
You told him. But a very good point. Look at the likes of Viewtiful Joe and Eternal Darkness. They didn't sell that well, but they are totally kick ass games. Sales mean nothing, it's about the quality of the game.
Wed 11/08/04 at 14:55
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Nintendo cannot go to it's shareholders "Hey guys, we've got
> some great games but they aren't selling, but they're great,
> honest!". Nintendo's best sales are in Japan where, not by
> coincidence, Nintendo makes the greatest effort in marketing,
> promotions etc. You'd think this would give them a clue, but
> apparently not.

I'm sure it's been said before, but do you care about anything other than sales figures? Life isn't black and white Bell; just because a game doesn't sell well, it doesn't mean it's therefore a failure. What about the thousands of people who did love it?

Like it or not, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Pikmin and Metroid Prime are four of the best games you can buy. Like it or not, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 2 and Paper Mario 2 will be three of the best games released this year. Will they sell like dead llama dung? Yes, probably, but unless you depress yourself thinking about sales figures while you play games, I doubt that will mar people's enjoyment.

Nintendo are still making profit, that's all I need to know when it comes to sale figures. They're still afloat, which means I'll still get my quality games. Microsoft are still afloat so I'll still get my adult titles when I need them, and SOny are still afloat so I'll still get the occasional EyeToy title. That's how I see things, why can't you do the same?

Not so long ago you said that Nintendo have the best range of exclusives available, why the sudden change of heart? I suppose, if they haven't sold many copies then why would you want to own such games? Such a horrible though, eh?

Just try, for one second, to discard your red-faced, fanboy, number-induced opinion for a second, sit down and enjoy playing some games. I assure you it's far more fun than spouting crap.
Wed 11/08/04 at 14:42
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Belldandy wrote:

There are two problems with this

a) we're not businesses and so judge companies on what they provide us with, rather than on their annual turnover

b) no one cares about sales figures.

Honestly.
Wed 11/08/04 at 14:38
Regular
"8==="
I'm pretty sure Nintendo are re-taking their homeground and the next console will see them branch out properly again.

Doesn't do me much good though. The Xbox is the new '64 minus Nintendo games and the online capabilities + HD more than make up for that at the moment.

But I like massive multiplayer games as a rule, although I'll quite happily pick up many intricate single player games I want to know I can put those down and blow someone away online when I feel like it. :D
Wed 11/08/04 at 13:26
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Dringo wrote:
> *laughs insanely*

Because you are insane, when it comes to Nintendo anyway.

I've never heard so much double talk and BS since the documentary on Nixon on History Channel.

Like it or not, sales figures are what all companies are judged on. Nintendo cannot go to it's shareholders "Hey guys, we've got some great games but they aren't selling, but they're great, honest!". Nintendo's best sales are in Japan where, not by coincidence, Nintendo makes the greatest effort in marketing, promotions etc. You'd think this would give them a clue, but apparently not.

At least with Halo 2 MS have the right idea, we get it just two days after the US - if this was Nintendo we'd get it anything from 2 months to a year after the US. And wouldn't that please everyone...
Wed 11/08/04 at 13:20
Regular
"8==="
;)
Wed 11/08/04 at 12:16
Regular
Truth be told I did re-read the beginning of my post and realised that no that wasn't my point at all.

Kinda hoped you'd ignore it.
Wed 11/08/04 at 01:30
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
> My point being that Mario had proven himself time and time again...
>
> There's only been one Halo game.
>

no this is an entirely new point and I only just brought up mario so I don't see how you could have forseen that.

seems like you're doing cheap point scoring now...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.