GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft "Willing to buy Nintendo""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 13:35
Regular
[URL]http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6456/Microsoft-Interested-in-Buying-Nintendo[/URL]

Discuss.
Wed 25/08/04 at 22:42
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Dringo wrote:
> But surly he would discuss it with the board.

He might not, some issuses like this people are very secretive. As some board members will be unhappy and quit beofr hes even done anything. What ever he would do it would be very contoversial.
Wed 25/08/04 at 22:00
Regular
But surly he would discuss it with the board.
Wed 25/08/04 at 21:53
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Dringo wrote:
> The Yamauchi family pretty much own Nintendo, have done since the
> 1890's or something.
>
> Good old Billy Gates said if Yamauchi was willing he'd like to buy
> Nintendo off of him.
>
> Yamauchi is currently an advisor at Nintendo and it'll be a decision
> made by him and the board as to what will happen.
>
> As he is the largest share holder.

He doesnt have to discuss anything with the board, its a plc meaning anyone can buy or sell shares. If it was a private limited comapany (ltd) then yes he would have to discuss it with the board and they would have to agree. But in this case he can do what ever he wants, although as you said is family has built it up in to what it is today could he sell what his family worked so hard to make? I think not.
Wed 25/08/04 at 19:06
Regular
Just as I though - and we all know that Yamauchi will stick to his guns. With his grudges it's amazing square-enix are developing games for Nintendo systems!
Tue 24/08/04 at 22:44
Regular
The Yamauchi family pretty much own Nintendo, have done since the 1890's or something.

Good old Billy Gates said if Yamauchi was willing he'd like to buy Nintendo off of him.

Yamauchi is currently an advisor at Nintendo and it'll be a decision made by him and the board as to what will happen.

As he is the largest share holder.
Tue 24/08/04 at 18:40
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> So tell me NB, considering Yamauchi is head of Nintendo (in reality)
> and owns the majority of the shares...
>
> But he doesn't. The majority of the shares will be owned by Japanese
> insurance companies. He's just the head, hired help as it were.
>

Err...Hiroshi Yamauchi does own the majority of Nintendo shares. Atleast that's what I remember reading a while ago.

All that happened was officially, he retired. But he still influences Nintendo as he owns them. As did his father before him if my memory serves me correctly.
Tue 24/08/04 at 18:14
"I love yo... lamp."
Dringo wrote:
> So tell me NB, considering Yamauchi is head of Nintendo (in reality)
> and owns the majority of the shares...

But he doesn't. The majority of the shares will be owned by Japanese insurance companies. He's just the head, hired help as it were.

> How, if Nintendo say no, will Nintendo be able to sell?

Because if the shareholders accept the offer he can't do anything about it. If enough shareholders are prepared to sell their shares to Microsoft, then they have the power to do what they want.

> As for what I mean by Nintendo being in charge because they are
> better what I mean is thus:
>
> Nintendo would be forced to have multiple mediums in their machine,
> Nintendo will be forced to have more and more adult software avalible
> for the machine and Nintendo will be forced to make online games.

I see what you are saying here, but it wouldn't happen like that. Microsoft know that Nintendo don't do adult games. Nintendo could not make Halo 3 if they tried, they don't know anything about shooters like that. Besides, Microsoft would buy Nintendo to get what Nintendo do best - childrens games. PS2 is popular among children as well as teenagers because it has games that appeal to them. They might be rubbish, but they exist. Microsoft don't really have much beyond Vexx and Crash Bandicoot. Microsoft need more children to buy the Xbox.

> Overall if Microsoft bought Nintendo, it would be Nintendo that would
> become the main competitor... Nintendo won't just become another part
> of 'Microsoft Games Studio's' MGS will become apart of Nintendo.

Possibly in Japan, but in the Western world Nintendo now have a fairly poor reputation. People think of them as being a kids game company, knowing them for delays and dropping titles. For suing importers. Microsoft don't do partial control. Everyone would know that Nintendo were a Microsoft studio. I think they would be annexed, but just carry on much as normal. Except if they had any sense, MS would hire you for PR.

> Microsoft will control advertisement and make sure there are plenty
> of adult games and make sure they counteract Sony. Nintendo will
> continue as normal, with a new owner.

Exactly. I just don't think they would be given control of Bungie, Rare etc. They would fit in alongside them, but not control them.
Tue 24/08/04 at 17:01
Regular
So that was for his benefit? :D
Tue 24/08/04 at 16:53
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Edgy wrote:
> Arguing on here is done for entertainment purposes.
>
> Why do you think these forums are so popular?

Mattribute is here.
Tue 24/08/04 at 16:03
Regular
Arguing on here is done for entertainment purposes.

Why do you think these forums are so popular?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.