GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft "Willing to buy Nintendo""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 13:35
Regular
[URL]http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6456/Microsoft-Interested-in-Buying-Nintendo[/URL]

Discuss.
Tue 24/08/04 at 18:40
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> So tell me NB, considering Yamauchi is head of Nintendo (in reality)
> and owns the majority of the shares...
>
> But he doesn't. The majority of the shares will be owned by Japanese
> insurance companies. He's just the head, hired help as it were.
>

Err...Hiroshi Yamauchi does own the majority of Nintendo shares. Atleast that's what I remember reading a while ago.

All that happened was officially, he retired. But he still influences Nintendo as he owns them. As did his father before him if my memory serves me correctly.
Tue 24/08/04 at 22:44
Regular
The Yamauchi family pretty much own Nintendo, have done since the 1890's or something.

Good old Billy Gates said if Yamauchi was willing he'd like to buy Nintendo off of him.

Yamauchi is currently an advisor at Nintendo and it'll be a decision made by him and the board as to what will happen.

As he is the largest share holder.
Wed 25/08/04 at 19:06
Regular
Just as I though - and we all know that Yamauchi will stick to his guns. With his grudges it's amazing square-enix are developing games for Nintendo systems!
Wed 25/08/04 at 21:53
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Dringo wrote:
> The Yamauchi family pretty much own Nintendo, have done since the
> 1890's or something.
>
> Good old Billy Gates said if Yamauchi was willing he'd like to buy
> Nintendo off of him.
>
> Yamauchi is currently an advisor at Nintendo and it'll be a decision
> made by him and the board as to what will happen.
>
> As he is the largest share holder.

He doesnt have to discuss anything with the board, its a plc meaning anyone can buy or sell shares. If it was a private limited comapany (ltd) then yes he would have to discuss it with the board and they would have to agree. But in this case he can do what ever he wants, although as you said is family has built it up in to what it is today could he sell what his family worked so hard to make? I think not.
Wed 25/08/04 at 22:00
Regular
But surly he would discuss it with the board.
Wed 25/08/04 at 22:42
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Dringo wrote:
> But surly he would discuss it with the board.

He might not, some issuses like this people are very secretive. As some board members will be unhappy and quit beofr hes even done anything. What ever he would do it would be very contoversial.
Wed 25/08/04 at 22:56
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> what Nintendo do best - childrens games.

Oh do shut up. I'd have thought most of us were past this.
Wed 25/08/04 at 23:03
Regular
Nintendo do games for all ages. Not Childrens games (okay, bar Pokémon Channel)

It's like saying that Mirosoft only do childrens games because they released Blinx. Truth is, they do games that appeal to all too.
Wed 25/08/04 at 23:09
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Mav wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> Oh do shut up. I'd have thought most of us were past this.

Being more nearer the Microsoft side i would say i have a nearly neutral say when i have to agree with Mav on that one. But depends how you mean it, as it is true when Nintendo are very good at making games for the younger gamers but are still good at the more older and hardcore gamers.
Wed 25/08/04 at 23:13
"I love yo... lamp."
Mav wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> Oh do shut up. I'd have thought most of us were past this.

It is entirely true. Zelda and Mario are childrens games. It would be simply foolish to argue otherwise. I never said that they were superfluous like the majority of childrens games, in the way Spyro or Crash Bandicoot are. Nintendo make childrens games. Simple as that. Rockstar make adult games simple as that. It doesn't mean that adults don't buy Nintendo games or that children don't have Rockstar games, but it doesn't change who they are made for.

If Nintendo made adult games they wouldn't feature a fat Italian plumber trying to save Princess Peach. If Nintendo made adult games Mario would be a felon who wanted at the Princesses peaches. The thing is, Nintendo know that they make childrens games, that is their main market, hence they continue to develop for it. Unlike other developers however, they don't try and pawn crap off on kids, they put effort into their games.

It doesn't change the fact they are kids games. Kids are the main market for Nintendo. That is why the have managed to survive thus far - very few adults play Nintendo games proportionally. I do, but I appreciate them for being good platform and adventure games. Anyone with an ounce of sense realises however that any game featuring animals, ba-bombs or Hyrule is not an adult game.

If you take hardcore gamers like ourselves out of the equation, most people who own an Xbox would not want a Gamecube and vice versa. Most casual gamers pick their category and stick with it, or more likely pick a PS2 and have the worst of both worlds. That is why many of us hardcore gamers do own both, because the Gamecube and Xbox have very little overlap. My Xbox is infinitely better than the Gamecube for first person shooters and racing games. Bar F Zero GX, there are virtually none that appeal to me on the Gamecube. But by the same token, one of the things that the Xbox lacks is a decent platformer.

Because there is no overlap, they co-exist well together. Xbox does more mature games, Gamecube does younger games. Doesn't mean a thing when it comes to quality, just target market.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.