GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft "Willing to buy Nintendo""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/08/04 at 13:35
Regular
[URL]http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6456/Microsoft-Interested-in-Buying-Nintendo[/URL]

Discuss.
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:30
Regular
"ProGolfer"
gamesfreak wrote:
> And you're going to stop them are you?

LOL could be a pretty poor attempt.
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:29
Regular
And you're going to stop them are you?
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:27
Regular
"wIeRd"
microsoft better not buy nintendo.
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:26
Regular
The thing is though, like someone mentioned below, Microsoft and Nintendo are the underdogs compared to Sony.

Joining forces would have it's advantages and disadvantages.

It's not upto us what happens though is it? If Microsoft wants something, they'll get it.

And anyway, this whole thing is based on a "snippet" from a German newspaper, it's probably never going to happen.

But it's proved some interesting discussion at least.
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:22
Regular
"ProGolfer"
When i look at it, yes i might own an xbox and prefer the microsoft company. But i owuld not want them to buy Nintendo. As if they did then the competition in the games console market is down to 2 companies, people should know the more competition the better for customers. It would put less strain on Microsoft to produce as many top quality titles and on PS2 as gamers would have to pick between one console or the other.

So know matter what one they pick it should work out that SOny and Microsoft have an increased sales of there next consoles if Nintendo was brought up. Ok we might get a few games from Nintendo on Xbox 2 but i feel the console market has space for three companys at least and they should use that space to push each other further not buy each other up, most unsporting.
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:16
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Edgy wrote:
> It would be no different would it?
>
> Okay, lets look at it like this.
>
> Nintendo buy Retro Studios. Nintendo sack most the staff and decide
> that they're going to can all but one game.
>
> Where's the developing as normal?
>
> Microsoft could easily do that to Nintendo should they buy them.

I very much doudt that to, i would see microsoft use nintendos image to start in the handheld market. Plus they can also start to increase there image to younger kids for the xbox (not trying to take the mickey) as the gamecube does have some titles which would appeal to kids. If microsoft had these then they could increase the sales of the xbox and there games. Plus they can then use Nintendos image, i could not see microsoft making such a big company make one game.

Whats the point Bill pays billions of quid on a company and decides to fire everyone up to a point where there is enough people to ake one game, not only would the company lose all value Bill would theoretically be throwing his money away. As the old saying goes its the people in the company that make it work not the company,
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:15
Regular
Has made?

That'd be the problem with MS purchasing Nintendo. All of their games are Gamecube wise, I doubt porting over to the Xbox would be a good investment, meaning only future titles would be owned by MGS/Nintendo.

Actually (in an optimisitic point of view) if Microsoft did offer to purchase Nintendo, it'd be probably wiser to grab them for when the Xbox 2 is released.
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:12
Regular
Gar-J, I assumed nothing as Whitestripes has pointed out.

Also, reason for a games company to buy another and possibily make staff redundant?

Easy: They acquire all the rights to every game that company has made.
Fri 13/08/04 at 23:52
Regular
Gar-J wrote:

> It must be nice to just be able to assume everything in life with
> such confidence. How though can you assume Nintendo would sack the
> staff at Retro Studios?

Oh dear. Looks like someone hasn't got their facts straight.

See, this has already happened, it's called the past.

Nintendo have bought Retro, they did remove some staff and they did cancel all of their games and then babysit them through making Metroid Prime.
Fri 13/08/04 at 23:00
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> It would be no different would it?
>
> Okay, lets look at it like this.
>
> Nintendo buy Retro Studios. Nintendo sack most the staff and decide
> that they're going to can all but one game.
>
> Where's the developing as normal?
>
> Microsoft could easily do that to Nintendo should they buy them.
>
> Note: Facts going by my own memory. Dringo could probably
> clarify

It must be nice to just be able to assume everything in life with such confidence. How though can you assume Nintendo would sack the staff at Retro Studios? Surely the reason behind buying the company in the first place would be to get unique access to the staff that work there (like Microsoft buying Bungie and Rare for example)?

It would be like the USA fighting an oil war in Iraq, only to burn all the oil once they got access to it = completely pointless and therefore unrealistic.

And so yes, Microsoft *could* easily do that to Nintendo should they buy them, but do they seem likely to do that? Not in my book.

So, if we are to be realistic then Microsoft would want to keep as many of the Nintendo staff as possible after a takeover, so how would the quality of their games suffer if the same staff are working on them?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.