GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DOOM 3 - PC version leaked."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Sat 07/08/04 at 18:50
"Its Your Pleasure"
the PC version on Doom3 has been leaked over the net. dont know if you guys know this.

i havent got it but have played it at a friends house.

he had the settings turned down, and it looks great, it feels great, and its really not as scary as people are saying.

really when something jumps out at you, you just jump and then laugh as you shotguhn off its head.

its put me in a great mood for the xbox version.
Tue 10/08/04 at 11:41
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Goatboy wrote:
> stuff

I know it's a crime, and I know that it's wrong. I'll admit that I break the law everytime I download an illegal file. The fact remains, though, that the games industry and the music industry has probably made more money out of me downloading than they would've done if I hadn't of downloaded.

I'm a criminal, yes. But I'll pay my dues where they need paying.
Tue 10/08/04 at 11:38
Regular
"BOSE"
Rickoss wrote:
> Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 this Xmas will make my XBox bleed with
> joy. Can't wait.

You must have a U.S xbox then? Cos I don't think Half-Life 2 is out until next year some time? Doom 3 is out in february.

Greeny, the guy who was allowed to play Doom 3 for 10 mins at the E3 thing or something was put in a dark room and it made him jump a few times. Were you playing it on a 14" Mono TV at 2pm on a sunny day with the curtains and lights on? ;-)

Who's gonna wait to play Doom 3 when it gets dark? Just curious!
Tue 10/08/04 at 10:31
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I tend to get FPS on the PC unless they're designed specifically for the Xbox. Just find the W,A,S,D config more intuitive, although Halo does work with the pad.
I'll be getting Riddick on Xbox, Doom 3 & Half-Life 2 on PC.
Apparently Far Cry is being consoled - that'll be worth getting, if not quite as shiny as the PC version.
Tue 10/08/04 at 10:24
Regular
Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 this Xmas will make my XBox bleed with joy. Can't wait.
Tue 10/08/04 at 10:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
kevstar wrote:
> downloading games funds terrorism, er yes but your missing the point,
> the majority of people download games for there own personal use, not
> to sell.
--------

Read that back to yourself. And then again. Got it yet?
My point, and one which you have just reiterated - I'll use simple phrases and words to prevent confusion:

Piracy is a crime.
You justify it with your own reasons
Rape is a crime
They justify it with their own reasons
Drug taking is a crime
They justify it with their own reasons

A crime is a crime.
Simply because you commit one and not the other, and fill yourself with platitudes doesn't make it not illegal.

However, if you wish to start discussing the severity and "Well it's not really that much of a crime is it?", then you're entering grey areas here and you can no longer dismiss or scream about somebody else committing a crime. Sure, somebody else may seem like a worse bloke, commit a far more heinous act - but they'll explain and justify it with reasons as to why it really wasn't that bad and the other person is far worse.
It's hypocrisy.
You either accept a crime is a crime - Piracy included - or you don't get to decry somebody else for doing something illegal.

And no, it's not the same as taping a film from television you ass.
Television films have already gathered their monies and companies pay for the right to show them, hence you get video+ codes to tape them.
Copying/downloading a game or movie is illegal because you are expressely breaking the law and doing something specifically set out in the terms and conditions as wrong and illegal. Hence the warnings on DVDs and agreeing to the terms and conditions when installing a game.

You're not very bright are you?
Tue 10/08/04 at 07:34
Regular
"Don't let me down"
downloading games funds terrorism, er yes but your missing the point, the majority of people download games for there own personal use, not to sell. It's no worse than taping a film at home on video.
Tue 10/08/04 at 06:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's interesting to see how some people justify piracy.

The fact is, whatever your reasons for doing it? It's illegal, and you're no different from somebody that buys/sells pirate DVDs.
Sure, you might use them for a demo/20 min blast and hey, it's not like you're a terrorist.
Fact remains it's illegal and you are guilty of piracy.

But you see how you justify it? "Well I only do...and I'd never do..."
That's rationalising committing a crime, and no different from a crack addict who breaks into a home and steals things to fund his habit.
Extreme example? Nope, it's showing how somebody else will rationalise their actions by saying "Ah, but I'm different because..."

There's no grey area here, the law doesn't say "Piracy is illegal. Oh, except if you only want to play it a week early or don't want to spend full price on a game you'll only play a little bit"
Piracy is a crime, you are guilty - despite your reasons and excuses.

At least have the balls to admit it folks.
Especially you Belldandy. It's ironic coming from somebody that instantly decries anybody that breaks the law.
"There are more pressing issues etc etc"
Really? Not to the developers of Doom 3 there aren't.
Mon 09/08/04 at 23:26
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> A t-shirt I think? Game are doing some special edition with a shirt
> *shrugs*
> Could be wrong though, it's just something I saw earlier and can't be
> bothered to check out more.

Yeah, i saw game doing a t-shirt when you pre-order. I dont suppose a t-shirt would be so bad, even if its not something you would really wear outside the house.
Mon 09/08/04 at 23:23
Regular
I download many games, however I mainly use them as a extended demo's. Demo's themselves don't show the whole game and in my honest opinion are quite useless. If I like the game anyway, there's a very good chance of me buying it when it's released over here. Many of the games I download, are games I wouldn't intend to buy anyway (even if I was a millionaire).

So in conclusion I don't think I'm doing anything too wrong and actually I've probably spent more money because of downloading games than I would have done without.
Mon 09/08/04 at 23:13
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Goatboy wrote:
> You can't say "Well there are more pressing things" simply
> because you've broken the law by downloading Doom 3 and not paying
> for it.

Whe I download a game, it's for one simple reason - that I cannot be bothered to go out and purchase it. For instance, I wanted to play Championship Manager during Euro 2004. I knew it'd be nothing more than a 20 minute blast, so I downloaded it.

Piracy is a problem, yes. When used incorrectly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.