GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RARE's heart is with Nintendo...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/08/04 at 12:22
Regular
A recent interview with the GBA team at RARE WARE studio's couldn't fail to make me smile.

The team are responsible for Saburewulf, Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda's Revenge and the 2 Donkey Kong Country ports... they are currently working on "It's MR. PANTS!" and "Banjo Pilot".

They commented how they worked closly with Nintendo regarding the Country ports as Nintendo were the exclusive publisher. Which brought a smile to my face. The other GBA titles are of course published by THQ but a question on everyones lips is whether or not the fantastic GBA team would create anything for the Nintendo DS. Well the question came up.

Q18: The new Nintendo DS is coming out late this year. What are you guys' plans on porting any of your immensely popular N64 titles to the DS? *cough, oh god, I think I got strep throat! *cough cough* PERFECT DARK ON DS!! *cough*. After all, the DS will be Wi-Fi enabled. Imagine... playing Perfect Dark... online. Yum. (Brian)

A: Sounds cool, but we're not doing any DS games, are we? Or are we? Or... are we?

Don't you just love Rare.
Fri 27/08/04 at 19:16
Regular
I'm out of this one.

I've not played Tooiee yet. :-)
Fri 27/08/04 at 17:52
Regular
Banjo Tooie was proof the me that RARE can no longer make a good platformer.

Collect... collect... collect... collect... learn new move... use move... never use move again.
Fri 27/08/04 at 16:27
Regular
Tooie was varied, wonderfully designed and just a joy to be play. It was long but that's never a bad thing when games are this much fun.

Infinetly superior to Mario Sunshine and any other platformer of this generation. Infact Hailfire Peaks had better level design and more variety than the whole of Mario Sunshine, the same goes for Witchy World and pretty much all the levels except for Grunty Industries.
Fri 27/08/04 at 16:16
Regular
WRONG!

Tooie was naff, over long, dull, repetitive.

As was Donkey Kong 64.
Fri 27/08/04 at 16:10
Regular
WRONG!

Tooie was amazing and DK64 was enjoyable.
Fri 27/08/04 at 15:57
Regular
DK64 and Banjo Tooie are two of the worst platformers I have ever played...

They started well but fell apart 60% through.
Fri 27/08/04 at 14:53
Regular
Yeah DK64 was pretty repetetive at times and didn't really feel like a Donkey Kong game should, still loved it though.
Fri 27/08/04 at 14:45
Regular
Dk64 was a mess.

It was Banjo Kazooie split into 5 characters (who shared out the duo's moves between them) and with DK imagery painted over.
Same style of gameplay, graphics, structure, humour...

Everything that made Banjo so great was out of place in DK.

So I thought. :-)

On Mario 64, the only repetitive mechanics were the 8 red coins on each level and the collect 100 coins, and that was fine.
Banjo? You had to get all those Jingles, each time, but everything else seemed open for imaginative quests.

Dk64 went stupid formulaic.

5 Banana's for each Kong.

1 from the level.
1 from a challenge in the level.
1 from a Cranky Barrel.
1 from a "timer after stomping switch"
1 from using a weapon/special move.

And there was 1 blueprint to get from beating up the guy with the right mask on, and 100 normal banana's to get.

It wasn't even the formula, it's just the made NO attempt to hide it.
If you think about it, Mario and Banjo had slight formulae, if you think about it, if you look for it.

You can't hide from DK64's.

Also, the Banjo style adventuring and mini-games weren't what I wanted from a DK Country proceeder. It was great on Banjo, but didn't work half as well with the Kong franchise. I'm not just talking about what goes nice together, the control on these mini games were fairly clumsy, making them pretty fustrating.

So yeah, DK64 was a mess in my books.

And Sunshine sort of is too.

Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but they threw formula in your face. The 100 coins and red coins were fine. The hidden "hardcore" levels were a sublime addition. Even having to defeat the Mario Imposter after every level I could've lived with, after all it was storyline and quite fun, if a lazy waste of a star.
But they pushed it too far with the blue coins, and the "redo the hardcore levels with red coins!!!" malarky.
Basically, they used a target of 120 stars, and then found as many ways to cram them into a single level as possible so they could get away with a minimum of levels.

And to increase the lifespan?
Throw around a billion obscure blue coins.

Some were nicely collectable or obtainable through challenges. Great.
The rest? Oh, that's alright. Just spray every inch of the level down, they're bound to pop out somewhere! I mean, we'd come to expect such scavenging stupidity from Rare (part of their odd teasing charm) but Nintendo were supposed to be more gamer friendly than this.

I mean, not that Sunshine's a bad game, it's just the first Mario game that Nintendo got bored with before they could finish it!
Miyamoto, starting it and then rushing off to do Pikmin when the time came for level design graft.

Speaking of going off on tangents... :-S

my bad :-)
Thu 26/08/04 at 22:21
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> It suffered the same problem of Donkey Kong 64 when players were
> supposed to memorise hundreds of moves.

Only stupid people couldn't memorise the moves.

Kazooie started doing that
> but never really got too annoying, DK and Tooie did that ALL the
> time.

See my comment above.

> Mario 64 and later Sunshine was genius, the extra modes you
> learnt were not used that much and there wasn't many of them. The
> game gave you a handful of moves and Miyamoto built hundreds and
> hundreds of puzzles around them.

But they were all pretty much the same thing over and over again. Collect 8 gold coins, collect 8 red coins *yawns*

Thing I loved about Tooie was the amazing variety of the tasks. Really was the best platformer I've ever played.

> No need to memorise thousands of moves.

There really weren't that many moves at all when you think about it. If you're gonna complain about the amount of moves then I'd hate to see you attempt something like Soul Calibur 2 or Killer Instinct Gold.
Thu 26/08/04 at 22:12
Regular
"MAN UTD til I die!"
They are making games for it. I read it on a website.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.