GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THE NINTENDO DS V.S. THE SONY PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/08/04 at 12:40
Regular
"shaman king rules"
I think that the nintendo ds will be a much bigger hit than the psp because of the fact the game boy series lead the way in handheld gaming and the public know it's standards are higher and the fact that the pocket station (one of sony's earlier failed attempts at a handheld) was a complete flop. The psp is just a game boy advance with better graphics and discs instead of the relatively old cartridge format whilst the nintendo ds is one of the inovative pieces of equipment since well urm........EVER.
Tue 31/08/04 at 12:10
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
And the DS wont get many big games (in
> terms of data size) since its limited to 128Mb, whereas the PSP disc
> holds 1.8Gb.

Talking crap. The DS carts can hold over a Gigabyte. Their storage capabilities are endless as they can easily change the amount of memory inside the cart by adding more. But Nintendo have stated that their carts hold around 1GB and can hold more.

And you can use the PSP to play mp3 music,

If you put it onto a memory card. Once again, more expense for Sony gamers.

play umb
> pre-recorded movies,

What a battery drainer. It's far easier to watch movies on a TV. Ever tried watching your favourite programmes via pocket TV - hardly a thrilling experience.

and play against other PSP users wirelessly,

Via Wi-Fi like the DS? DS you can play multiplayer wireless within 100 metres (I think) but if you've got Wi-Fi you can play against anyone else in the world - and with the built in microphone, you can communicate vocally too.

and
> all with that familiar playstation button layout,

A shame really.

large 16:9
> widescreen display.
>

Whoo - the screen is still tiny. It's bad enough trying to play current gen games on a 14 inch TV, let alone a handheld.

> DS will be a flop, and PSP will be a runaway sucsess.

Not according to the opinion polls. Nintendo seem to be poking out ahead by a few percent. That is, on multiformat websites. I wouldn't even bother checking on a Nintendo or Sony website.

After a while,
> Nintendo will be in trouble, and may have to pull out of the hardware
> market in the longer term.

Like they have been with the GBA and SP? Oh wait! Game Boy has fended off 9 competitors already!
Tue 31/08/04 at 11:22
Regular
"\\"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Who's to say at this stage?
>
> Remember - it's the games that sell a machine - not the machine

Yes. Because that's why the Xbox and Gamecube are selling far more consoles than the PS2.

It's not as if Nintendo have really had any competition in the handheld area and i would probably pick the PSP over the DS because Nintendo games don't (and never have) appeal to me that much.
Tue 31/08/04 at 11:20
Regular
If people do wear them round the neck like the ads, it'll be chav heaven.

they'll get swiped in an instant.
Tue 31/08/04 at 11:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I really do laugh at some of the PSP concept shots though - people walking about with ut as their favourite fashion accessory, watching films while they walk, proudly looking perfect with their PSPs around their necks. (Waiting to be nabbed).

If PSP has a good battery life, it'll be very good. The DS looks pretty sweet, but I really have to laugh at people saying 'OMG! The PSP is so cool! It'll be my new fashion statement!!!'
Tue 31/08/04 at 09:01
Regular
Who's to say at this stage?

Remember - it's the games that sell a machine - not the machine itself.

Both units have a good-looking lineup of launch titles - but delays are bound to happen.

If Sony don't fix the battery life issue, it'll die for sure. Nintendo needn't worry too much, although they won't have it as easy as they have come to be used to. Sony will be determined to make an impact.
Tue 31/08/04 at 08:48
Regular
"and PC user"
PSP will win the handheld war. After playing PSP games like GT, MGS, and others which will look like full size console games (3d, etc), most people wont want the DS. And the DS wont get many big games (in terms of data size) since its limited to 128Mb, whereas the PSP disc holds 1.8Gb. And you can use the PSP to play mp3 music, play umb pre-recorded movies, and play against other PSP users wirelessly, and all with that familiar playstation button layout, large 16:9 widescreen display.

DS will be a flop, and PSP will be a runaway sucsess. After a while, Nintendo will be in trouble, and may have to pull out of the hardware market in the longer term.
Fri 27/08/04 at 22:39
Regular
The pocket station was something that competed with the Dreamcast Visual Memory Unit. Hardly worth thinking of it as a handheld console.

From the web polls I've seen, Nintendo are only just in front, however I think it'll be a very close run for the long term.
Fri 27/08/04 at 12:56
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Nintendo DS.

End of story.
Tue 24/08/04 at 12:40
Regular
"shaman king rules"
I think that the nintendo ds will be a much bigger hit than the psp because of the fact the game boy series lead the way in handheld gaming and the public know it's standards are higher and the fact that the pocket station (one of sony's earlier failed attempts at a handheld) was a complete flop. The psp is just a game boy advance with better graphics and discs instead of the relatively old cartridge format whilst the nintendo ds is one of the inovative pieces of equipment since well urm........EVER.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.