GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THE NINTENDO DS V.S. THE SONY PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/08/04 at 12:40
Regular
"shaman king rules"
I think that the nintendo ds will be a much bigger hit than the psp because of the fact the game boy series lead the way in handheld gaming and the public know it's standards are higher and the fact that the pocket station (one of sony's earlier failed attempts at a handheld) was a complete flop. The psp is just a game boy advance with better graphics and discs instead of the relatively old cartridge format whilst the nintendo ds is one of the inovative pieces of equipment since well urm........EVER.
Sat 24/09/05 at 14:27
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think the DS will do better simply because Nintendo have the reputation for great hand helds where as Sony don't.
Fri 23/09/05 at 20:11
Regular
"What's basketball?"
wilko22 wrote:
> Lets go over good things for both.
>
> PSP:
> 16:9 Widescreen Display No big loss for Ninty
> Plays UMD movies No big loss for Ninty
> Looks Nicer Than DS
> DVDs can be stored using a pc cable No big loss for Ninty
> MP3 Player No big loss for Ninty Uses memory card space
> MP4 Player No big loss for Ninty Uses memory card space
> Pictures Can Be Stored No big loss for Ninty
> Wireless Play
> Multiple Memory Cards Can Be used Poor customers
> Better Graphics Than PS2 No big loss for Ninty
> Better Graphics Than DS No big loss for Ninty
> Better Graphics Full Stop No big loss for Ninty
> More Value For Money(depends what you're into)
> Although it only has one screen, the 1 screen is better quality and
> biggger than the 2 Ds Screens Put Together(?)
> Future Link Up To PS3
>
> DS:
> Two Screens
> One Touch Screen
> Flips Open
> Wireless Play
> Future Link Up To Revolution
> Uses touch screen innovatively
> Buyable MP3 Player(if you're that desperate)
> Cheaper
> Good value for money(Probably better, depending on what you're into)
> Doesn't need good graphics to sell
> Has Picto chat
> Open to wider audience
> More battery power ;P
> Can play GBA games
> Some nice simple games to beat, while you're waiting for another game around the corner.
> Built-in microphone

I could've gone on for longer, but I just wanted to point out how both are equally great in their own unique ways. There is no "better console", it is what people like and dislike in their gaming that makes them prefer a console. Some can't choose between either. I, personally, think of neither as the 'best' because my favourite is- and probably always will be- the legendary N64. The others were brilliant( although I didn't have much chance with the Dreamcast. I seldom got to touch one :.( ), but the N64 was like family to me... and then I moved to Britain >:H.
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I'd have thought the PSP will outsell the DS considerably - hardware/software aside, a LOT of people own Playstation’s, its a name they already know - Sony marketing is fantastic, and Nintendo's really sucks - The Playstation is a respectable brand name - a lot of casual gamers are barely aware of the gamecube - The PSP has a lot more flashy lights effects to show it off - the DS looks like a game and watch from the eighties.

Which one is better depends completely on which is better for you, both a solid machines and deserve to do well.

Choose your favourite and enjoy.
Wed 17/08/05 at 17:51
Regular
"'My brain hurts'"
Lets take an opinion from someone who has both a psp and a ds, is there anyone with both?

Anyone To Give An Opinion?

No?

Ok. I'll Have To Do Then

I Have both the psp and the ds, and the psp is much better, u say it is a battery drainer but it has a huge battery.

Psp plays UMD movies, games with graphics, in my opinion, as good as the xbox, it plays mp3s and mp4s, and u can turn dvd movies into mp4s using your computer.

Lets go over good things for both.

PSP:
16:9 Widescreen Display
Plays UMD movies
Looks Nicer Than DS
DVDs can be stored using a pc cable
MP3 Player
MP4 Player
Pictures Can Be Stored
Wireless Play
Multiple Memory Cards Can Be used
Better Graphics Than PS2
Better Graphics Than DS
Better Graphics Full Stop
More Value For Money
Although it only has one screen, the 1 screen is better quality and biggger than the 2 Ds Screens Put Together
Future Link Up To PS3

DS:
Two Screens
One Touch Screen
Flips Open

I Rest My Case
Mon 25/07/05 at 11:44
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Lol, okay you've got me there. I haven't played Lumines but I do own Meteos and, my god, it is incredible.

I've only played Wipeout Pure on the PSP and it is amazing. I really, really like the PSP - it's just not my cup of tea. I'm just a little afraid that it will be swamped with mediocre EA crap and lazy first party titles from Sony (Primal2, Ghost hunter 2, gah!)

But yeah, I'll shut my trap in the future and will play the damn game XD
Mon 25/07/05 at 11:34
Regular
I disagree. Meteos has nothing on Lumines - Polarium is even worse, but hey - I respect your opinion if you've actually played them, rather than just spouting any form of anti-Sony crap in between sucking Nintendo's schlong :D

That's not to say you are, mind, but there are many here who do.
Mon 25/07/05 at 11:09
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Ha, it pales in comparison to Meteos. Lumines isn't even worth my breath :p
Mon 25/07/05 at 10:48
Regular
Clearly you, and the other fools in here, haven't played Lumines then.
Mon 25/07/05 at 10:36
Regular
"Divine Davine"
El Pinko wrote:
> *Reads topic, laughs*
>
> Nintendo = retarded. They claim to be inovative and creative, but
> thats another way of sayin "differnt", which is a better
> way of sayin "un-popular"
>
> Sure Sony has some similarities, but they wouldn't if they werent
> succesful. For instance Network gaming, people don't want that do
> they? Or a console that plays DVD, what a lame idea! 4.7gb DVD games?
> Backward compatability? who wants all that junk when you could have a
> tiny console? Or a console that looks special. Nah, what people want
> and what Nintedno make are 2 differnt things. Nintendo tells its fans
> what they like, not asks.

Sorry mate, but I totally disagree with you there. No, Nintendo are innovative - they do not 'claim' to be. And if they go round asking people what they want, then that won't be fair to the other people who waited for something different. They always wow the crowds initially with their new console(s), however their main issue is that they have trouble sustaining popularity within their consoles due to poor advertising.

And the games? Despite their franchises being hugely popular, the mainstream are far more interested in the EA crap being released today, aswell as the Sony's 'cool' reputation - Ninty doesn't generally obtain that factor. The DS is 'cool' in my opinion though, and yeah, the touch screen, internt gaming and microphone aren't innovative....

Anyway, this is a 'games console'. The PSP is just all the new technology wrapped into one - much like the PS3. All they care about is graphics. And there isn't enough gameplay left to compensate over it.
Tue 21/06/05 at 15:56
Regular
"Hallelujah"
*Reads topic, laughs*

Nintendo = retarded. They claim to be inovative and creative, but thats another way of sayin "differnt", which is a better way of sayin "un-popular"

Sure Sony has some similarities, but they wouldn't if they werent succesful. For instance Network gaming, people don't want that do they? Or a console that plays DVD, what a lame idea! 4.7gb DVD games? Backward compatability? who wants all that junk when you could have a tiny console? Or a console that looks special. Nah, what people want and what Nintedno make are 2 differnt things. Nintendo tells its fans what they like, not asks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.