GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Burnout 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Burnout 3'.
Thu 09/09/04 at 12:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Freakin class.
Page:
Fri 10/09/04 at 03:20
Regular
I've just read several reviews on burnout 3. I wasn't going to bother with it, but now I think I'll pop out and purchase a copy first thing tomorrow.

well, I'll sleep on it.
Fri 10/09/04 at 05:44
Regular
"8==="
'normal racing'

I don't want normal racing I'd rather have the hyper-real RSC2 and Burnout 3 because they are more over the top and interesting. If I wanted realism I'd have gone for something like an F1 game.

PGR2 was the first decent online racer involving cars on the xbox, if RSC2 had been released before it I think its sales may have been significantly less.

As something that's nearly a simulation it's great but so is the shuttle launch simulation. However simulation doesn't always mean interesting.

PGR2 is quite frankly too clinical, devoid of character and far too boring.

I doubt I'll ever be buying PGR3.
Fri 10/09/04 at 08:53
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Hedfix wrote:
> PGR2 is quite frankly too clinical, devoid of character and far too
> boring.

Oh no you didn't!

Anyway, I fail to see how anything which was born of a gimmick can be the best racer on the XBOX. I'd like to try it to test out my theory, but, for me, it all seems a bit short-term.
Fri 10/09/04 at 11:46
Regular
I don't see the big thing about PGR2 to be honest. It just seems slow, Mario Kart style slow. Only difference is MK can get away with it being that they are karts and the purpose of the game is to use powerups to make your way to the finish. Some things about PGR2 aren't that bad but to me, the levels are samey, the cars look pretty basic and they don't damage.

Whereas with RSC2, I've always wanted a rally game you could properly race on and this game's done a grand job of it. Tracks are varied, not plain and playing the game is much more fun. The only grudge I have against RSC2 is that damn respawn button on multiplayer. You go through all the trouble of pushing someone into trees and they just press that button and come straight back on.
Fri 10/09/04 at 12:20
Regular
"All about the Beats"
I would get this game now, but SR in Staplford 'dont recieve new titles till 4pm on release day'.

Fags
Fri 10/09/04 at 12:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Think my vote goes in the direction of PGR2 here. Arcade racers are fun, but the simulation style racers require more skill in my opinion. I had plenty of fun with my cousin on Live having MR2 races, etc.

Of course there are people who prefer arcade style racers for the over the top action, etc and thats fine. But overall, I don't see a big fan getting as much out of his Burnout 3 game as another fan would out of his PGR2 game. Theres just way too much to do and its not possible to complete it all, unlike most arcade racers that tend to take a couple of days of solid play to unlock everything (varies on the skill of the player of course).

I dunno if any of you guys went to that Game Stars show, I'm guessing a few of you did - but if you love your mental arcade racers, then keep your eyes peeled for Flat Out when it arrives. I played this and thought it was excellent stuff. Destruction Derby style racing with plenty of aggressive driving, damage and stuff around the course to smash through like barrels, tires and scaffolding. You can even get thrown out the car during bad smashes (which can be viewed in slow motion by holding the right trigger down !). ;-)

That game will be excellent on Live - especially when you're racing against guys you know cause it adds that extra rivalry in there when you're grinding eachother into the walls. ;-)
Fri 10/09/04 at 12:43
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Yer i played that game. Xbox crashed on me twice! hehe

And speaking of Burnout 3 being easy to unlock stuff, i was at the Xbox Live bit of Game Stars Live, playing Burnout 3, and i unlocked two cars in the space of 5 mintues! Still an awesome game though.
Fri 10/09/04 at 14:11
Regular
Nice to see people comparing games that are in no way comparable. Although I've not got my copy of Burnout 3 yet, got to go back to the shop at 3.30, I dont understand why people compare a game like Burnout 3 to PGR2. I mean come on, arcade racer, *realistic* (kind of) racer... of course ones going to be a better game, but wondering which is the better of the two? Illogical.

Anyway, on another note, is it worth me getting another pad for my xbox with the game? Or shall I stick with one for crash as thats the only mode my gf plays with me anyway :P
Fri 10/09/04 at 15:30
Regular
"Touched!"
Just got home with my 2nd copy for the other Xbox, was only £32.99 in Gamestation despite being told it was £38. Loving the crash mode, very addictive!
Fri 10/09/04 at 15:37
"I love yo... lamp."
MJ wrote:
> Nice to see people comparing games that are in no way comparable.
> Although I've not got my copy of Burnout 3 yet, got to go back to the
> shop at 3.30, I dont understand why people compare a game like
> Burnout 3 to PGR2. I mean come on, arcade racer, *realistic* (kind
> of) racer... of course ones going to be a better game, but wondering
> which is the better of the two? Illogical.

Comparing two arcade racers against each other? Illogical? Eh, no. It's a perfectly valid comparison. Sure, PGR2 might be more realistic in that it has real cars and real places, but realistic is Sega GT or Gran Turismo, not PGR. Besides, Burnout 3 has real cars, just that EA were too stingy to pay for licences. Ford GT40s, Renault Clios and Mitsubishi Lancers have all cropped up rather early on.

> Anyway, on another note, is it worth me getting another pad for my
> xbox with the game? Or shall I stick with one for crash as thats the
> only mode my gf plays with me anyway :P

Yeah, you need another pad. You can do a crash mode in split screen.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.