GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The SR Battle of Hoth...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars: Battlefront'.
Thu 16/09/04 at 15:56
Regular
Which of you slaaaaags is getting Battlefront and has Live then?

Me thinks we should all get together on Live and play all the battles from the original trilogy at some point. Not particuarly fussed about the prequels though I would like to kick some Ja Ja Binks ass around the place.

Only 1 week till the game should be in my hands, will hopefully be filling the online gap that the crappy Burnout 3 servers left.
Mon 20/09/04 at 15:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
shush, I'll be getting it tomorrow.

I WILL.
Mon 20/09/04 at 15:02
Regular
"Touched!"
monkey_man wrote:
> No, they actually give you the whole game for free.

You wish lol, I know that Game are doing a double pack where you get battlefront and the DVD boxset for £68 but Battlefront isn't out until friday.
Mon 20/09/04 at 14:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I don't know. I haven't got the demo - I played the full version at Game Stars. ;-)
Mon 20/09/04 at 14:56
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
No, they actually give you the whole game for free.
Mon 20/09/04 at 14:52
Regular
"Touched!"
So is the demo live playable then? If so I might go and pick the DVD's up later today. Also if it is live only are you just restricted to Hoth? Cheers.
Mon 20/09/04 at 14:37
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Definatly, I found it much better than the offerings by other Star Wars games because it has attention given to the whole battle. Most of the time you're dumped in a Snowspeeder or X-Wing while the ground battle looks pretty crap with badly detailed troops and just a couple of gun positions.

But this game really delivers the atmosphere of the battles. In front of a couple of Rebel spawn points on Hoth, you'll notice there are trenches that you can get into, with various turrets from the battle surrounding them. You really get to appreciate the sight of those bloody huge ATATs coming towards you and everything is the right size and scale, so you can just imagine how intimidating the sight of an ATAT can be - especially if you're not equiped to take one on, but need to stay where you are to keep the enemy troops back.

Then you have the likes of Geonosis, remember the ships in Episode 2 that look like the early versions of the StarDestroyers ? You'll see loads of those flying around in the skies above as the battle goes on and although they don't seem to play any kind of role in the actual fight, it still just adds to the atmosphere of whats going on.

For all the excitement there is of getting into all the vehicles, I think some of the best moments are actually when you're on foot and getting support from the vehicles. I remember running close to an ATAT on foot as a Stormtrooper and a Snowspeeder started to attack with its towcable. I aimed upwards and started to fire at the Speeder and although I wasn't doing much damage, I made the pilot panic and lose the towcable and as he struggled to get control again, the ATAT picked him off with the main guns.

Then of course there were the moments I actually decided to be on the Rebels side. I was in a trench at one point with another player and a couple of AI troops, with other AI troops inside the turrets and it was so cool to be dug in, firing at the enemy troops and ATATs while the turrets just got taken out right next to me. Things get really busy and I didn't encounter a boring moment. The tunnels of Echo base tend to rumble as you run through them cause of the battle outside, just like in the film. :-)

I mean Hoth was always going to be my favourite because I've always been one of the biggest fans of the ATAT you'll ever meet. But all the battles I played were great fun. :-)
Mon 20/09/04 at 14:12
Regular
"Touched!"
Some good info there Savatt, so does it capture the feel of the classic star wars battles?
Mon 20/09/04 at 13:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The gold edition is just the full screen edition while the silver is widescreen. As for the game, yeah the AI tends to leg it for the vehicles, the minor good news on that is that you can kick the gits out when you get in, so you have a decent chance to grab things like the walkers and stuff.

Although your sometimes left with the equivelent of a cheerleader role inside the hanger once the CPU has sodded off with all the Snowspeeders, its not normally long before one of them gets pasted and you'll be pretty unlucky not to get a shot at piloting one at some point in the battle.
Thing is, don't be surprised if you end up flying straight into a cliff either cause those Speeders seemed pretty poxy to control at times. I didn't get the chance to jump into a TIE or X-Wing, so I don't know how those handle. The ATATs move slowly but are very powerful, the ATSTs are faster but obviously don't take as much damage, Speederbikes are cool, but you need to be careful where you steer them or you end up becoming one with a tree and the Republic gunships were pretty decent to control. Those Snowspeeders will definatly take a bit of practise though unless they've had a last minute tweak or something.

You can keep them steady and stuff, but if you do anything erratic in them, you'll soon end up in a world of hurt so you need to be careful just how sharply you move to avoid enemy fire. Out of all the vehicles I used, the ATAT was about the best moment I had (going beyond my biased view that the ATAT is the coolest thing in Star Wars). I did a couple of Hoth battles without having to respawn once because I managed to jump into an ATAT straight off and use it with a decent level of skill to avoid getting towcabled.

The ATAT's main guns have a slow rate of fire, but the Snowspeeders tend to have to keep to a pretty regular circle, so you can time your shots and aim them carefully so you hit the Speeder as it comes back around. If you get a situation where you go against 2 or 3 players that play a regular role together in one ATAT, its gonna be real hard to bring it down, because the firepower will be increased due to the fact that one player will take the main guns, while the others take the guns on each side of the head (which are weaker but have a faster rate of fire).

It might be a slow mover, but once the ATAT reaches the front line, you've got problems. ;-)
Mon 20/09/04 at 12:36
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Hedfix wrote:
> I can kill Ewoks in it?

I think so. I remember reading that you could in a preview. Like the Sand people, I think they are a non-controlled race that get involved in the fighting. I hope that I can play the Endor map with Gungans and then try to annihilate two races for the price of one.

"Ouch time" my freakin ass.
Mon 20/09/04 at 12:31
Regular
"Touched!"
Anything better about the gold edition apart from it being gold? LOL

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.