GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For Tony, Ali and Notables"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 11:37
Regular
Please, unless you're one of the above, please dont spam this thread with nonsense, I just want opinions from these guys on the following:

I’ve been reading through the posts concerning how the forums have fallen recently, pointless topics etc and spamming from newbies just to get their stats up.
RBS suggested it should it based on time, not word counts and that’s cool.

I would also like to suggest that you use Moderators for the forums.
One or two people per forum that are able to monitor and/or modify posts.
Be it deleting or simply closing a thread to prevent anymore posts on something considered futile.
Be the moderators Notable or regulars that are respected and counted with expertise in particular forum topics.
For example, Sonic and Bonus are tech wizards, Grix seems to know Nintendo etc etc and I know movies and music.

I’m not saying Moderators should take over from SR web staff, it would just remove some pressure from you guys to monitor and check each thread, regulars you can trust and spend most of their day in here (being at work with nothing else to do etc) and can make sure their “allocated forum” maintains some degree of interest.

No idea if it would work, but I’ve seen moderators on other forums and it seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Please, unless you're one of the above, please dont spam this thread with nonsense, I just want opinions from these guys on the following:

I’ve been reading through the posts concerning how the forums have fallen recently, pointless topics etc and spamming from newbies just to get their stats up.
RBS suggested it should it based on time, not word counts and that’s cool.

I would also like to suggest that you use Moderators for the forums.
One or two people per forum that are able to monitor and/or modify posts.
Be it deleting or simply closing a thread to prevent anymore posts on something considered futile.
Be the moderators Notable or regulars that are respected and counted with expertise in particular forum topics.
For example, Sonic and Bonus are tech wizards, Grix seems to know Nintendo etc etc and I know movies and music.

I’m not saying Moderators should take over from SR web staff, it would just remove some pressure from you guys to monitor and check each thread, regulars you can trust and spend most of their day in here (being at work with nothing else to do etc) and can make sure their “allocated forum” maintains some degree of interest.

No idea if it would work, but I’ve seen moderators on other forums and it seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Excellent topic...well done to yourself RBS, and who ever else has thought of these ideas.

Personally, I quite like the idea of moderators. These should be elected (2 per room) by the regs and notables. As always, the staff will have a final say on these.

These people will have the ability to delete any posts that they see fit (if they both agree to it), and will be people through which all complaints and queries about the topic in question would be handled.

Mods should be re-voted in every few months

Sonic
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:52
Regular
"not dead"
The forums have gotten so popular lately, and it's difficult to keep up with what's going on.

I really don't know what the way ahead is, but I think that it boils down to the fact that too many new threads are started that have no merit.

Surely stopping newbies from starting new threads wil bring the amount of new topics down, but would it also defeat the object and discourage them from coming here at all?

Maybe we could make a start on getting thigs back to how they should be by starting some gaming related posts.

Anyone that responds with 'We've already done this' should be given a slap too! If you don't want to talk about gaming anymore, talk about films on the DVD Movies and Music forum, or football in the sport forum. Don't bother posting in threads if you've got nothing of interest to say either.

Maybe if some of the banner ads highlighted other forums? It might make the Nintendo and PS forums more busy, and these less so...?
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:56
Regular
Time would be good but the overall quality would be even better! Than they would have to post only Game topics that are not a waste of time!
Mon 11/06/01 at 12:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Agreed, to a point.
I'm not sure about newbies not starting new topics, but that's just my opinion. Some have made very interesting and valid contributions, there might be a newbie with something really original to say, but unable to start a thread?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just chewing the fat so to speak.
RBS suggestion of time vs word count is cool, and I still go with my moderator idea.

2 people per room, that way at least one is usually about.
2 people voted for by notables and staff (not in the forums but via email to stop one of those huge "i vote for" threads), with some knowledge of whichever forum they should take care of.

I think with 2 people, if 1 thinks a thread should be deleted, it takes the other moderator to agree and they then submit it to whoever at SR - that prevents malicious removals of threads willy-nilly.

That way, any queries by newbies can be directed towards a moderator, be it via email or a thread. It frees up Tony etc from policing and clearing up thread after thread after thread.

I think, with some careful guiding, we can get this back on track with little effort.
Mon 11/06/01 at 12:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
here is something I posted on another topic... but is also relevant here:

HAve a star point system... every day good posts get one point.. with as few or little being awarded as the posts on that day merit. Points can be taken off members for bad posts.

A NEW IDEA would be to have the forum moderators (of they are implemented) being the people who award/take away these start points.

These points will be displayed in taglines, and will be used when selecting newbies to become regulars (eg. a newbie who has 10 star points and the required number of posts wuould become a reg... a newbie with -1 star points would not!). Also, members can be kicked off if they have too many bad posts (eg. -10 points)

Sonic
Mon 11/06/01 at 12:07
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Also, maybe we can "warn" members... if they post something bad, then the moderator/webmaster can put "warning given" on their tagline. If they then go on to repeatedly post badly, then they will be kicked off.

Sonic
Mon 11/06/01 at 12:11
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Sonic mate, these are all good points, but I'd like to keep this thread down to moderator idea for Tony and Notables for read.

I'm not having a pop, I've read your posts and have to admit that you post seriously good stuff, I'd just like to keep this to a minimum?

Cheers

Goatboy
Mon 11/06/01 at 12:15
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Surely...

The most drastic move we would need to make...

(if any?)

would be to have any/all non-prime topics, posted within the FOG(Prime), shifted across to FOG(chatter)

This could be done by the Webmaster, whomever, whenever they have the time/can be bothered...

(although I wouldnt reccommend any notables/regulars having this sort of power)

I can understand if people complain about dodgy/chat topics being posted into FOG(Prime)...

But, surely noone can complain about the topics being posted into chatter... the whole point of the forum to to have non-FOG related topics being posted there?

This is pretty much the fastest moving forum around at the moment... even American forums, with much a much larger user base generally move a lot more slowly...

Theres also a much better social atmosphere around the FOG forums... which would change greatly if too much of the forum was altered...

Equally, I think making Moderators of regulars or notables would be a bad move...

Surely its up to us to police ourselves?... Are we so irrisponcable that we need more people to decide what is valid to post and what isnt?

We have the forum we made for ourselves... I would rather we attempted a little self restraint... (which itself would largly be followed by the newbies)... than have further rules and regulations put down on us...
Mon 11/06/01 at 12:16
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Goatboy wrote:
> Sonic mate, these are all good points, but I'd like to keep this
> thread down to moderator idea for Tony and Notables for read.

I'm
> not having a pop, I've read your posts and have to admit that you
> post seriously good stuff, I'd just like to keep this to a
> minimum?

Cheers

Goatboy

Of course you're right... but the staff will only creat moderators if:

1) they see good reason to... and that's why I'm posting my views

2) they know the option exists! After all, if we didn't put our suggestions up then where sould the site be!

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.