GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire Red/Leaf Green"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pokemon Leaf Green/ Fire Red'.
Sat 02/10/04 at 12:22
Regular
I'm in two minds to get this.

Having collected all 150 Pokemon (I never did get Mew *sobs*) I feel little point in spending about 30 quid just to play it again in colour.

But, the new features, like the mystery islands could be quite fun.

What should I do?

Maybe if a win GAD (fat chance) I'll claim it as my prize. After Burnout 3, which I still haven't bought (I am quite stupid).

Anyone got it? Is there any point in getting it if you had the original games?

Cheers.
Sat 09/10/04 at 14:45
"The Will of D."
Thanks Morbo, I had a feeling you'd say something like that as I know you liked Tales as much as anyone, RPG's don't have to be all turned based games coz most games that producers come up with probably wouldn't all work with that style, an obviously Namco didn't think it would work with Tales either. Also baten kaitos another namco game isn't turn based, it's a card battling game, and i bet after i've finished playing that (possibly in december) i'll probably think the same thing as i did with Tales.
Fri 08/10/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Balls"
I am a big fan of turn based RPG's, but i have to agree with Fox on this as i think Tales had a great new and refeshing battle system, not saying that at times i wished it was turn based as i did so that you could have time to work out a strategy. but having a real time system brings a new way of RPG's to the cube.

Pokemon on the other hand works better with the turn based style as it would be turned into a fighting style due to the GBA's lack of grafical depth.
Fri 08/10/04 at 21:57
"The Will of D."
That's because Tales isn't a turn based rpg, there's always a difference between the tow stlyes of real action and turn based, and everybody has their favourite one, I would agree that turn based is a bit easier to use, and in some games that I've played (like wizardry 8 for example) turn based action is either not made right, or doesn't work at all. But in some RPG's I would like to have turn based, but Tales of Symphonia isn't one of them in my opinion as I like that sort of fighting real action style (like in super smash bros melee almost) which i find really easy to get used to even if you haven't tried that style before. But in any turn based game, since i've had lots of practice in games that used it I am comfortable only after an hour of play (depending on whether you get straight into battle or it's plot development).
Thu 07/10/04 at 13:25
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> Surely there are better RPGs out there to buy now.
>
> Disgaea on the PS2, Tales of Symphonia on the GC.
>
> Buy Mario Advance 4 rather than Pokemon. Surely there is something
> better than this now, it's dated and losing appeal fast :D

So the 4 million shifted worldwide so far and the number 5 and 6 position in the UK charts alone. Also the main reason Nintendo have upped its profit predictions for the year.

Losing appeal, whatever. If you mean the old appeal it had yes, it lost that years ago. It is now an established franchise like Zelda and Mario.

Although the games need to seriously get updated.

Pokemon is far easier to play than the likes of Tales.
Thu 07/10/04 at 09:16
"The Will of D."
Bonus wrote:
> Surely there are better RPGs out there to buy now.
>
> Disgaea on the PS2, Tales of Symphonia on the GC.
>
> Buy Mario Advance 4 rather than Pokemon. Surely there is something
> better than this now, it's dated and losing appeal fast :D

Buy now? Tales doesn't come out for another 43 days, so by that time somebody could finish a game of pokemon even if he still hasn't reached level 100.
Plus it's a bit too late now to be importing from america now that it's just a month and a bit away don't you think?
Wed 06/10/04 at 23:41
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Hoops wrote:
> Cheers tphi, I loved Crystal when it first came out. Why the hell did
> they get rid of the night/day effect on Sapphire/Ruby?

That, I agree, was a superb feature and should have been kept. Day/Night Pokémon just makes sense and the fact that different things happend/where open at different times added to the playability of the game. Bring it back! *Shakes fist at Creatures Inc.*

> Anyway, I have Ł30 and was
> wondering if this is worth it, I mean, I have Sapphire and im at the
> Elite Four and seeing as you ca trade with Sapphire it seems FR/LG
> looks pretty good.

Well if you haven't had an overkill on Pokémon, why not? There's plenty to do and you can get the trading all done etc. You could always take a break from the series though, there's *alot* of good GC games coming out, but if you don't have a Cube, nothing will good coming out can top those games for a while.
Wed 06/10/04 at 22:56
Regular
Surely there are better RPGs out there to buy now.

Disgaea on the PS2, Tales of Symphonia on the GC.

Buy Mario Advance 4 rather than Pokemon. Surely there is something better than this now, it's dated and losing appeal fast :D
Wed 06/10/04 at 22:45
Regular
Yeah you still get personalities and unique abilities.

I restarted about 20 times to get a Charmander with a Sassy personality, the boost to Special Defense will be useful.
Wed 06/10/04 at 20:35
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Cheers tphi, I loved Crystal when it first came out. Why the hell did they get rid of the night/day effect on Sapphire/Ruby? They got rid of sooo many things after Crystal. Anyway, I have Ł30 and was wondering if this is worth it, I mean, I have Sapphire and im at the Elite Four and seeing as you ca trade with Sapphire it seems FR/LG looks pretty good.

On FR/LG does it have the personallity thing that Crystal/Sphhire and Ruby had where each Pokemon has their own personality thing?

What do you guys like best : Sapphire/Ruby or FR/LG?

Cheers.
Wed 06/10/04 at 17:40
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Hoops wrote:
> Two Questions :
>
> 1) When is Pokemon Emarald coming out? Is it going to have new
> pokemon or will it be like what Crystal was to Silver and Gold?
>
> 2) What is the difference between Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green?

1) Sometime next year I'd imagine, it's only just come out in Japan and will come out in America next. What with the DS just round the corner I doubt it'll be long before they bring it - probably the last GBA Pokémon game - here.

2) Just like the differences between Red/Blue, Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire, the differences are minor - the distribution of Pokémon in the game, about ten are unique to each version. Apart from that, very little else, except the colour of the cart.

Someone else asked what Emerald was about - it's the third updated game in the generation - for example how Crystal was to Gold and Silver. However, it does have quite a few new bits and bobs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.