GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX GAME CRASHED DURING E3 PRESENTATION!"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/06/01 at 22:08
Regular
After the crash, the screen showed a familiar PC boot screen and a Microsoft representative explained that the memory configuration on the floor models was different than that of the final version. This shows XBox is just a disguised PC! Typical eh!
Sun 08/07/01 at 12:46
I like the pc but I think thw X-BOX should be binned
Sun 08/07/01 at 22:09
We'll just have to wait and see. The XBOX could be the biggest failure ever, or completely dominate the video gaming industry for years. The second option is likely as long as Billy Gates can slip a few grand into quite a few of other people's pockets!
Thu 12/07/01 at 02:04
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
christos wrote:
> After the crash, the screen showed a familiar PC boot screen and a
> Microsoft representative explained that the memory configuration on
> the floor models was different than that of the final version. This
> shows XBox is just a disguised PC! Typical eh!

Have you ever been to a Computer Trade show? Do you know how often games crash? Jesus, at least years ECTS I crashed both the PlayStations running Driver 2 within thirty seconds - I declined the boot assistants offer of a reset.

How exactly do you mean the X Box is just a disguised PC? Is it cause it has Windows OS like the Dreamcast? Is it because it has stuck to the same archeticure as a PlayStation 2, GameCube, SNES, Mega Drive etc as well as a PC? Or is it because of the Hard Drive and internet connection like the PS2?

Remembering the fact that Sony have actively tried to convince Duty and Excise that the PS2 is a home computer and not an entertainment system for tax reasons. Oh - and they are releasing an LCD monitor, mouse and typewriter - coupled with the tower casing style console and the BASIC processing it is all looking very PC over there too. There's the PS2 printer and multimedia accessorys on the way too... ermmm... it looking a bit like a poorly disguised PC too.

Am I missing something? Can't see why that is a bad thing...
Thu 12/07/01 at 02:07
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Windows is a cracking piece of software. If you get a freshly booted PC with Windows installed you'll be able to leave it running indefinetly without a crash. The problem comes when you start putting non-Microsoft software on the system. I'm not saying Microsoft are flawless, but 99% of the time it will be an application that crashes the PC, not the operating system.
Sat 14/07/01 at 21:48
'The problem comes when you start putting non-Microsoft software on the system'
In other words: Microsoft software isnt compatable with anything half-decent.

My copy of windows even crashes when I run IE sometimes!
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:07
well i find that the reason my computer crashes so damned much is because i dont have enough memory in it. Also it is probably because I bought it from "Time". It is an AMD400MHz with 64mb ram and i am running Windows ME along with a million other non-microsoft games. My mates computer is basically got exactly the same software junk on it as mine but his never crashes. Thats because hes got a 600Mhz comp with 192Mb ram. SO basically people, upgrade your computer and stop blaming Microsoft and Bill gates. Even though it is true that Bill gates wants lots of money and makes us buy ypdates the whole time.

Lets assasinate him!
Wed 18/07/01 at 18:31
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, the GC crashed far more times than the xbox... so?

If you say xbox is bad just on the E3 show get a load of this:

Nintendo had NO mario OR Zelda games.
Metroid was very unsmoothe
Luigi's mansion involves walking around with one analugue stick and controlling a vacuum cleaner with the other in order to suck up ghosts... no more.

So what? It'll still be a great console.

Sonic
Wed 18/07/01 at 19:56
Um, if it was perfect already, why isn't it being released now?

The simple fact is, the X-Box will revolutionise desktop PC gaming - with compatible peripherals and games, and will probably convert our desktop machines into more games-orientated hardware.

The only thing is, it is a Micro$oft venture. Micro$oft Windows has always been useless, simply because they keep adding bits, and changing stuff, and the normal OS side (98/ME) is still built on 95 technology. Win2k was a rewrite, but it is a server OS, and will not play games very well.

The Windows programmers are afraid of a complete rewrite of the OS. I personally think it should be made into a modular system - instead of supporting digital cameras, scanners, printers, modems and all that from the first install, you install a bare-bones version. This will be enough to access your drives. Then you say "I want to play games" and along comes directx. then you say "I have a scanner", and it installs the correct drivers and software. In this way, the installation is minimal, so there is less to go wrong, and you don't have it checking if you just plugged a digital camera into your USB port every three seconds.

But then, what do Micro$oft care what I think? They are richer than God.

Nick.
Sat 21/07/01 at 17:21
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Sepherus wrote:
> 'The problem comes when you start putting non-Microsoft software on
> the system'
In other words: Microsoft software isnt compatable with
> anything half-decent.

No, it is the aplications code that causes the computer to crash, not the OS. Remembering of course that it is the software that should be given the job of being compatible with the OS, otherwise there would be a strange paradox...
Sun 22/07/01 at 08:53
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
OK, SonicRav, now you're going to get it. Firstly, how can you possibly say the Gamecube crashed more times than the X-Box?! I haven't heard of a single crash for the GCN. Where is your proof?
Secondly, 'Metroid was very unsmoothe'. What complete and utter garbage! The game was only shown in pre-rendered form and wasn't even running on a Gamecube. So A)pre-rendered have a constant framerate because they are PRE-rendered (all the lighting and shadowing is performed before the file is output) and B)even if it had been 'unsmoothe', it wouldn't have mattered because it wasn't running on a Gamecube!
And I'm not even going to start on your views of the games, coz you certainly don't sound like a true gamer to me!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.