GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can anyone here play..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/10/05 at 13:09
Regular
the guitar solo from Sweet Child o' Mine? If you can, you are a God.
Sun 16/10/05 at 21:12
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Great, it's fast. It's also abysmal.

Once again, i suppose you can do better?
Sun 16/10/05 at 21:13
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Since when does someone need to be better at something than someone to badmouth that someone?
Mon 17/10/05 at 00:01
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Padraic wrote:
> Since when does someone need to be better at something than someone to
> badmouth that someone?

never, but i'm afraid i'll need more to go on.
it's certainly not abysmal playing, it may not be everyones taste in music, but i have to say i though the playing standard was pretty high.
Mon 17/10/05 at 00:04
Regular
metalhead wrote:
> Once again, i suppose you can do better?

Yer, he can.
Mon 17/10/05 at 00:45
And whether he can or not (which he can) is entirely irrelevant.

It's still
absolutely
pish.
Mon 17/10/05 at 00:56
Regular
"8==="
I am the reincarnation of Jimi Hendrix.

Not THAT Jimi Hendrix... but still...
Mon 17/10/05 at 02:06
Regular
"bot"
Very_Metal wrote:
> it's certainly not abysmal playing, it may not be everyones taste in
> music, but i have to say i though the playing standard was pretty
> high.

It's fantastic playing, but it sounds awful.
metalhead seems to think that "do better" means "play faster" whereas in my opinion "do better" means "play actual music".
Mon 17/10/05 at 17:01
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> it's certainly not abysmal playing, it may not be everyones taste in
> music, but i have to say i though the playing standard was pretty
> high.
>
> It's fantastic playing, but it sounds awful.
> metalhead seems to think that "do better" means "play
> faster" whereas in my opinion "do better" means
> "play actual music".

Thats IS what i mean. I was saying dont sl@g off the technical abilities of great musiciens when you clearly cant play better than them. In terms of 'better music', thats all a matter of opinion. Chav scum will try to tell you that rap is the best music there is, where as most of us realise it is infact talentless mumbling. The idea of quite a lot of metal soloing isnt to listen to it and go 'ooo doesnt that sound pretty', it so you listen to it and think 'christ that guys' good!! how does he/she play that fast etc. etc.', e.g. slayer, slipknot, my video. Shred-solos might not be the most tuneful or pleasant-to-listen-to style of music, but thats the the point, it focuses on the technical ability of the individual musicien. Whereas many people would argue that Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist, ok its true that the guy could just about play. No fast solos, no frantic riffing, no sweep-picked arpeggios. Just chords. But the difference is, he wrote the riff to 'smells like teen spirit', and Steve Vai didnt! Its not just about playin difficult stuff, its writing music in the first place.
Mon 17/10/05 at 17:30
Regular
"bot"
metalhead wrote:
> The idea of
> quite a lot of metal soloing isnt to listen to it and go 'ooo doesnt
> that sound pretty', it so you listen to it and think 'christ that
> guys' good!! how does he/she play that fast etc. etc.', e.g. slayer,
> slipknot, my video. Shred-solos might not be the most tuneful or
> pleasant-to-listen-to style of music, but thats the the point, it
> focuses on the technical ability of the individual musicien.

what's the point in playing it if it sounds crap?
Shred sounds crap 95% of the time because it's just some knob showing off how fast his fingers are. Technical music is soulless and boring. Being able to play fast is one thing, but what most shredders lack is the ability to actually use their talent to make decent music. I can fret-wankle just like in your little video but other than as a warm-up it's not really of much use to me. I'd much rather have written the solo to Sweet Child O' Mine than any generic metal shred-fest. Look at Metallica as a prime example of pointless noodling - the best solo is in Nothing Else Matters, because it actually fits into the song and has some emotion behind it rather than the usual 'pentatonic lick #2'.
Mon 17/10/05 at 17:32
Regular
"bot"
Oh, and where did I criticise their playing ability? The answer is...nowhere. I just said it was a crap solo, which it is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.