GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola email - onging issue."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/10/09 at 13:43
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
Obviously I'm aware of the current email service status that you have posted.

One of my contacts has just let me know that when writing to me yesterday they initially received a warning message last night to say that the email was still waiting to be delivered after 4 hours - and no action was required.

Then this morning they had another message saying that the message could not be delivered!?

They re-sent their email again around 7.30am and it's recently arrived.

Thought it was worth a mention. Does that mean that some emails have been 'bounced'?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 23/10/09 at 13:16
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles.

Also nice to know (the move) what the initial cause was - better to hear that than think it's some type of failure.

The few emails that my contacts have resent seem to have come through it will be interesting to see if the original emails ever arrive.

NB. The contact that reported the 'email failure' was using BT's email.

I see Freeola have 'cleared' the Status message but it sounds like the issue (email's in the system) might still be on-going to me though?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 23/10/09 at 13:06
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah Warhunt is slightly incorrect I'm afraid.
Our MX servers will queue and store incoming emails. The POP server then requests any waiting mail from the MX servers puts in into the relevant inbox. This means the POP server doesn't get overloaded if there is a huge amount of incoming mail, but does mean that mail delivery times will increase when there is a large volume of mail waiting to be processed on the MX servers.

Over the last few days the MX servers were moving home, which meant some were offline, increasing load on the others , which may have resulted in bounce messages for some mail if it got sent to a heavily loaded MX.

The sending mail server should then try and send the mail again to the next MX server in the priority list (DNS record). Some mail servers will send a 'mail failed to send' message less than 24 hours after trying the first time and still try again, which can be confusing.

So it may be the some mail is still slow to get through as it is coming off MX servers that are holding a large amount of messages.
Fri 23/10/09 at 10:13
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 23/10/09 at 09:45
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
To clarify Hmmm... no emails are stored or queued on our servers as such, they are stored on the sending server when it fails to communicate with ours.

Standard procedure for most servers are that they will try to communicate at increasing intervals.
First every minute, then every 2 then every 5 etc.
The delays lasted roughly 20 hours or so at which point some servers may have increased there "communication intervals" to large periods.

Generally most servers attempt regularly within the first few hours and less so after that point. Common server settings keep emails queued for 3-5 days with a maximum interval of 24 hours.
Fri 23/10/09 at 01:27
Regular
am getting mail now from 2 days ago, so they are clearing very slowly Hmmm none missing so far but very late

Digi
Thu 22/10/09 at 17:44
"Are you sure?"
Just starting to get worried more emails have gone missing :¬(

I seem to be receiving messages for today but I'm getting caught out by missing emails from yesterday PM.

Could someone please explain or expand on the highlighted part of your Service message below?

Incoming Emails 21/10/09 4:55 PM: We believe that the issues causing mail to be delivered slowly, have now been resolved and our MX servers are now working correctly. Please note that it may take some time for all mail being queued for the server to finish delivery as this is dependent on the settings specified on the server used to send the mail. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

I take it this isn't a customer setting? Are you saying some email servers are setup different than others?

Thanks in advance.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 22/10/09 at 17:14
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Short answer: yes

Long answer: Well this is also just "yes" :S
Thu 22/10/09 at 17:09
Regular
could this be why my facebook mail from yesterday is arriving in dribs and drabs today? I was blaming facebook :-)

Digi
Thu 22/10/09 at 14:28
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Well the "issue" that was causing the slow down is technically resolved. However the queues are still causing multiple issues. At this point in time the majority of the servers have resumed full functionality.
Thu 22/10/09 at 14:20
"Are you sure?"
Oh dear :¬(
(but thanks for the update)

Any estimate when normal service will be resumed?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.