GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box360 vs PS3 (who will win)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/09/05 at 23:35
Regular
"topgamer above all"
My personal thought-X-Box 360.Post yours.
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:48
Regular
"8==="
Chr1s wrote:
> There's only so far you can go with it though, there isn't unlimited
> space on a disc.
>
> I'd imagine the quality would be better as well if you weren't having
> to squeeze everything down.

Which is where you get games on more than 1 disc. Like I said if it's cheaper to get 2 or more DVD's than 1 blu-ray disc you'll see a lot of things out on multiple DVDs instead (or aswell as).
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:45
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Hedfix wrote:
> Which compression techniques seem to be managing rather well at the
> moment.

There's only so far you can go with it though, there isn't unlimited space on a disc.

I'd imagine the quality would be better as well if you weren't having to squeeze everything down.
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:43
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
If any of these large game worlds come about though, they can just be put onto multiple discs, its no big deal really. Developers still have deadlines to meet and money to make, so I doubt you'll see too many huge games around anyway.

And Mob - the PS3 won't be cheaper than the XBox 360, because the Blu-ray format will make it more expensive and......... you know what, nevermind mate.
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:42
Regular
"8==="
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> Is the gaming/movie industry crying out for more space? Not really.
>
> Wrong, I'm afraid.

Nope, see below.

>
> The movie industry certinly is crying out for more space, as was
> discussed on the Channel 4 news item.

1 source?

>
> When HDTV hits, people will become used to a far superior picture
> quality than we currently have.

Yes, "WHEN" HDTV hits. Long way away yet.

>
> The movie industry realise that they need to ensure that their
> products match that quality, otherwise they foresee a drop in sales
> if movie quality is inferior to TV... which DVD certainly will be
> compared to HDTV. So the extra capacity of the new formats is
> actually very important to the movie industry.

See above.

The movie industry will jump on anything that might make them money, they'll hedge their bets but without public support it still might go nowhere like the CDi's video cd's, laser discs and Betamax.
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:39
Regular
"8==="
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
>
> No, better as in 'more power, with more storage for potentially
> bigger and better games'. And titles are largely the same for all
> formats these days anyway.

Oh you mean 'slightly more' power in some areas but 'less power' in others being the two machines rather close when the specs are averaged out?

Titles sell machines, whether there the same on both formats won't make much of a difference if they're on the 360 6 months or more before the PS3.

> Your point being?

That the xbox uses DVDs - ie the best format at the moment. Blue-Ray will have a big hill to climb before it attains the popularity of the DVD format.

PS3/Blu-Ray drives also play all forms of DVD and
> CD discs, so it's not like owners will be losing out.

Apart from you're forking out for a Blue-ray playing drive you might not need.

> Games that don't require masses of data can still be provided on
> DVD-ROM, but there will be the potential for much bigger game worlds,
> more music, larger files for clearer sound effects, more/better
> textures... almost unlimited potential.

Which compression techniques seem to be managing rather well at the moment.

And of course there's always downloadable content too.
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:38
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> Is the gaming/movie industry crying out for more space? Not really.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

The movie industry certinly is crying out for more space, as was discussed on the Channel 4 news item.

When HDTV hits, people will become used to a far superior picture quality than we currently have.

The movie industry realise that they need to ensure that their products match that quality, otherwise they foresee a drop in sales if movie quality is inferior to TV... which DVD certainly will be compared to HDTV. So the extra capacity of the new formats is actually very important to the movie industry.
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:33
Regular
"Da num.01 rapper"
X-Box consoles will always be on the top number.01 and the price of 360 is a bit exatrating but more people will buy ps3 because it will be more cheaper than xbox 360 and (360 core).
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:32
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> Better as in 'practically the same as the 360 except with a new style
> of controller'? Oh and it might just have more to do with the titles.

No, better as in 'more power, with more storage for potentially bigger and better games'. And titles are largely the same for all formats these days anyway.

> And the Xbox will be using DVDs

Your point being? PS3/Blu-Ray drives also play all forms of DVD and CD discs, so it's not like owners will be losing out. Your existing DVD collection will still play.

Games that don't require masses of data can still be provided on DVD-ROM, but there will be the potential for much bigger game worlds, more music, larger files for clearer sound effects, more/better textures... almost unlimited potential.
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I have surround sound. I'd like to get a new TV sometime soon as I haven't even got a widescreen yet ! Thanks to HDTV, those seem to be coming down in price nicely now. But at the same time, part of me wants to just wait till HDTV comes down in price. So my current TV might have to fight on for awhile more. ;-)

Its lasted 10 years so far ! ;-) Actually thats just made me feel ******* old...
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:17
Regular
"8==="
Savatt78 wrote:
> Yeah and at least you're not being forced into it. High def is just a
> nice thing you can take advantage of if you have the money. Much
> better than gambling everything on something and hoping people will
> pay the extra bundle.

Yeah, I think the next thing on my list will simply be a cheap surround sound setup.

I'm so behind the times. :' {

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.