GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box360 vs PS3 (who will win)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/09/05 at 23:35
Regular
"topgamer above all"
My personal thought-X-Box 360.Post yours.
Wed 14/09/05 at 16:21
"High polygon count"
Sorry, but it is - particularly in the number-crunching department.
Wed 14/09/05 at 16:06
Regular
"\\"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> In terms of things like FPS games, there is also potential for better
> physics and AI due to the PS3's superior number-crunching ability.
> The numbers may not be as high as Sony's claims (they said 2:1 and
> that they were undercooking it slightly), but I think there's little
> doubt that they will be higher.

But it's not superior. As Hedfix said, the consoles are mostly evenly matched in pretty much everything, so there will be no noticable differences whatsoever.
Wed 14/09/05 at 16:01
"High polygon count"
Graphiclly, in terms of presetation (i.e. what you see on the screen), both machines are nearly identical. In terms of graphics, what I'm talking about is purely the capacity to store data. Compressed or not, high quality graphics take a lot of storage space. The point I was trying to make is not that games will look better, but that there can potentially by much more to the game world. For example, a new city for a next-gen GTA game has the potential to be much more detailed.

In terms of things like FPS games, there is also potential for better physics and AI due to the PS3's superior number-crunching ability. The numbers may not be as high as Sony's claims (they said 2:1 and that they were undercooking it slightly), but I think there's little doubt that they will be higher.

Either way, it's all irrelevant to me. All I know is that I've no interest in the 360, and that is almost entirely down to my experience with the original Xbox, which with a few exceptions would rate as one of my most disappointing purchases ever.
Wed 14/09/05 at 01:41
Regular
"8==="
Bonus wrote:
>
> Like a year head start for the 360 in Europe or a dominant marketting
> campaign and brand loyalty to Playstation?

Yep.

Never been much for brand loyalty although I could see a lot of people who've finally had enough of current generation graphics getting the first/cheapest console to offer next-gen games/graphics/gameplay/etc. :)

>
> There's also the point that the Revolution may be a lowest common
> denominator wasting the power of the 360 and the PS3 for
> cross-platform games

Yes but I think in all likely-hood the Revolution will be ignored as the other two more balanced consoles take 1st and 2nd place. No doubt downgraded versions of games will appear on Revolution if a profit can be made from them - I doubt it's going to set the multi-format standard though.
Wed 14/09/05 at 01:17
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Exactly.
>
> It'll come down to controller/exclusives/some other preference.

Like a year head start for the 360 in Europe or a dominant marketting campaign and brand loyalty to Playstation?

There's also the point that the Revolution may be a lowest common denominator wasting the power of the 360 and the PS3 for cross-platform games and the only things utililising each platform properly will be exclusive titles.
Wed 14/09/05 at 01:16
Regular
[URL]http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_05/pr1002.htm[/URL]

Quote:

"Toshiba also announced a double-sided, dual-layer hybrid ROM disc comprised of dual-layer HD DVD-ROM side and dual-layer DVD-ROM side. The hybrid disc can store 30GB of high-definition content on the HD DVD-ROM side and 8.5GB of standard-definition content on the DVD-ROM dual layer side. More than 84 million DVD players and recorders were produced worldwide in 2004 alone. The standard definition content of the new hybrid discs can be replayed on these platforms, while their owners will also be able to enjoy high-definition content from the same source when they purchase HD DVD players in the future. The new disc further prepares the way for a smooth transition from DVD to HD DVD."
Wed 14/09/05 at 01:15
Regular
"8==="
Bonus wrote:
>
> No one knows yet which will be better than the other, either way
> games written as cross-platform will be made to meet the
> lead-platform or the lowest common denominator meaning the
> performance difference of the two is redundant anyway.

Exactly.

It'll come down to controller/exclusives/some other preference.
Wed 14/09/05 at 01:14
Regular
[URL]http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/06/10/richard_huddy_ati/1.html[/URL]

One article of an interview with a guy from ATI who used to work at Nvidia about the 360 and it's unified architecture. Says everything I've said about the graphics but a little more nvidia bashing making it sound a little bit of a hype fest.

I generally agree with his comments about the graphics chip being faster meaning more to most developers though. The majority of any game loop is spent on rendering, usually more than any other functions the loop is runing (i.e. physics or AI) combined.
Wed 14/09/05 at 01:14
Regular
"8==="
Sneaky. :)
Wed 14/09/05 at 01:02
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Until the number of Blu-Ray playing machines overtakes the number of
> DVD playing machines DVD will be the dominant format and movies will
> be released on it to sell to the largest userbase.

I've actually heard an idea touted where discs might come out standard DVD on one side and HD-DVD on the other as they try to phase in the new formats. Sounds an interesting ploy to me :).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.