GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spirited Away"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 18:15
Regular
"You have a choice"
OK. Japenese anime movies usually arn't my sort of thing, but my mate likes them so he decided to put Spirited Away on during one of our "Film Nights."

WHAT THE HELL!?!?!? This is officially the weirdest film I have ever encountered. It starts off pretty understandable with a girl worried about moving to a new school etc, and all of a sudden her parents are turning into pigs, a good looking lad she's friends with randomly turns out to be a dragon and the baby's are 3 feet taller than their mother and speak better english.

Anyone seen this?! Did I miss something or is it just a damn weird film?
Thu 08/09/05 at 16:51
Regular
Are they showing the subbed version on Sky then?
When I saw it it was dubbed...
Thu 08/09/05 at 16:15
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I'm planning on getting it, but everywhere's charging £9.99 for it!
Ah, well, i can always get another anime dvd! :)
Thu 08/09/05 at 00:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I thought it was a great film.
Thu 08/09/05 at 00:18
Regular
Mr No Face is the only good thing in the film.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:44
Regular
"She's a dog!"
tnc wrote:
> I'm hoping that "Ong-Bak" is a film without all this
> magical tosh, the film box itself claims it is. Before I get it, has
> anyone seen it?

I've seen it...It's one of the best Martial Arts films I've ever seen. There is no wire work in it but I wouldn't call all of the fighting realistic. I mean...I dont know if you've ever done a martial art but there are lots of easier ways to end fights than to jump onto someones shoulders, wrap your knees round them and double elbow them in the head. But anyway, Muay Thai is a good Martial Art and the guy in it is clearly talented.
Wed 07/09/05 at 15:06
Regular
I completly agree, first time I watched Spirited Away I watched it in English, but later I watched the original Japanese version, and it was far better. Dubbing on live action asian films are even worse...
Wed 07/09/05 at 14:42
Regular
"Captain to you."
Subs are much better i find with all asian films and anime, i hate dubs as they normally change bits that were originally perfectly fine.
Wed 07/09/05 at 14:25
Regular
Watched it again last night, it was on Sky Cinema 2.

Really really good film and excellent animation.

And concerning sub vs dub; Subs all the way if you ask me. The subtitles and native language seems to give the film the style and character in which the creators intended.
Wed 07/09/05 at 14:10
Regular
That never occured to me, that dubbing had screwed things up.
I've a few Bruce Lee films and the differences between the dialogue in the dubbed and subbed can be pretty large. Infact, there were some bits where the dubbers had taken some serious liberties and even given Bruce lines that were against his principles.

eg.

Subbed (Real Bruce): Any Martial Art is effective if you practice right.
Dubbed (Not Bruce): Karate? Kung Fu is much superior to that rubbish!!

Not word-for-word quotes but more or less what was being said.
I think I'd better give it another go. :-)
Tue 06/09/05 at 13:59
Regular
Kilgore Trout wrote:
> I think if you're watching a cartoon then dubbing is fine, as there's
> no lip-syncing to worry about - it doesn't look weird like dubbibg
> usually does. I think they did a fine job on Spirited Away - the
> acting is fine and it doesn't come across as being westernised.

Nah, they ruined the ending completely with the dub.

*spoiler*

You know when they are driving off in the end and the Dad asks her "So, you going to be alright at your new school?" or something similair, she replies "I think I can handle it." This bit never happens in the Japanese original, and many would argue that she does not remember what happened there, jut like her parents.

*end of spoiler*

Oh, and it's called anime, not cartoons :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.